Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Difference in attitude to HRT between UK and US?  (Read 6707 times)

Rhubarb

Re: Difference in attitude to HRT between UK and US?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:39 AM »

I don't think it is our doctors who are so against it, as much as there are many women here who mistrust "big pharma" and prefer natural remedies.

I'm in the US and my mom, who is 65, is one of the natural remedy types and hasn't taken HRT. We haven't talked a lot about menopause (I suppose we should!) but it didn't seem like she ever had a hard time with meno symptoms. I think she would have told me if she did because she talks to me about health stuff all the time. I do remember her being upset that her doctor insisted on HRT, and because she didn't want it she changed doctors. I just told her today about the anxiety I feel and that I think it's due to perimenopausal hormone changes. She tried to tell me it was my thyroid.

I haven't been offered HRT for peri symptoms but I was offered anxiety medicine (which I didn't want). I tend to go along with my mom's holistic/natural approach to health in many situations, but I wouldn't refuse HRT. The more I read here the more I feel like I understand the benefits of it. I think many women in the US hear the risks, which are mainly in women over 60 if I understand correctly, and they don't pay attention to the fact that benefits outweigh risks in younger women.

And as far as butter goes, mom and I have always used genuine 100% full-fat butter. We feel that when it comes to food, natural is always better than man-made low-fat stuff :)

peegeetip

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 12:04:54 PM »

Great to read your lovely post Rhubarb,

So good your mum has done well over the years with her approach (and your joint enjoyment of butter) :)

You summarize things very nicely and put forward a balanced and calm approach  8)

I have to laugh about the Thyroid diagnosis (someone did the same to me when I was in unknown peri wilderness).  :D  ;D

I think your not alone in being offered AD's instead of HRT out there. I've seen a close relative being offered AD's for something that turned out to be nothing to do with their nerves or anxiety.
Good that your making your own mind up.

Just recently some of the others on the forum found the following for HRT options in the USA:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment-usa.php

Just adding it for your own reference should you need it (no hidden agenda)  ::)

Hope things go well and tell your mum to keep enjoying the butter.

:-*

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 12:38:04 PM »

Inteersting points - and just goes to confirm what I am always saying too - that the difference is due to the different healthcare system in US. This is why you get all these odd theories and websites, and then lo and behold there are products to buy for those presumably that do not have insurance - or who perhaps mistrust "Big Pharma" as has been said. Of course the mainstream US health system and organisations chimes with the NHS - eg the North American Menopause Society and does not advocate that women should only "eat ground flax seed and drink soy milk" during menopause - (even though I am sure there are some benefits of these!).

I am just so grateful that we have the NHS, despite all its faults, which is still free at the point of delivery (I think that's the right term?) and where we are not prey to all this aggressive marketing of health products. One of the disadvantages (I would say) of the internet is that we can now find out about all these theories and products - and buy them - that we wouldn't even know about or need! :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 03:52:14 PM »

'free at point of delivery' is debatable though  :-\ ……….

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »

Interesting posts. 25 years ago my Mum (who is British) joined a group of mainly American ladies who were all in their 40s/50s. All the American ladies in this group were on some form of HRT. They talked as though all their friends and family in the USA all took HRT as a matter of course.

The group had their 25 years reunion recently and my Mum reported that all the American ladies looked SO MUCH younger than their British friends (none of who had taken HRT). I have seen the photos and I have to agree. The American ladies look like the daughters of my Mum and her British friends.

Rowan

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 04:41:13 PM »

American women have always embraced HRT starting with Premarin. Though an awful lot have had hysterectomies (far more then in the UK) . So probably there is a bigger compliance then there is here.

Most of the American Doctors who write books about hormones have also had hysterectomies too.

There are lots of women who use Compounding Pharmacies where the hormones are made up individually but just as many women use the same Pharmaceutical HRT as we do though under different names sometimes.

There is sisterhood of women who manage it in a natural way just like other women all over the world.

I don't think there is much difference in attitude, there is the same arguments and opinions as there is here.

Power-surge and hystersisters are very good US forums and discuss hormones just like we do and have their spats too  :) just typical women like we all are.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:50:17 PM by silverlady »

Rhubarb

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 04:30:23 AM »

Thank you, peegeetip :) The HRT chart is helpful, I do want to understand my options better.

I did talk to my mom today and she confirmed that she felt lucky to have sailed through menopause fairly easily. For a short time while she felt some depression and anxiety she used St. John's Wort, suggested by the doctor she went to after the first one told her she had to take HRT or go elsewhere. Her hot flashes were tolerable too. Interestingly she mentioned the same thing GypsyRoseLee says about aging, that her only regret about not taking HRT was how fast her skin thinned and she got more old-looking. She did consider the compounding pharmacy bio-identical hormones (actress Suzanne Somers wrote a book and was always on television talking about it) but her insurance didn't cover it.

I talked to my friend today too. She's 49 and hasn't had a period for 6 months. A blood test confirmed she's in menopause, but she said for the 5 years or so that she felt perimenopause symptoms she was never offered HRT by her doctor. Completely opposite from the doctor my mom had 15-20 years ago. My friend was offered anxiety medication, however, and she chose to take it because she felt the anxiety was interfering with her teaching job. 

Silverlady, my mother-in-law had a hysterectomy in her 40's and took Premarin for decades. I don't think she went off of it until she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in her late 70's.

Hurdity, the NHS seems like a wonderful system, I would be grateful to have it too. My daughter takes epilepsy medication and I'm amazed to think that it would be free if we lived in the UK.

sammy

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 01:10:51 AM »

I am in America.  My experience is limited to my own doctor, but I can say for sure he hands out anti-anxiety meds a quick as he can.  When I asked about HRT he said, "only if the symptoms are driving you nuts."

My ob/gyn said benefits of HRT generally outweigh risks up til age 60, so she was very helpful about Hrt.  She gave me Estrace cream too for vaginal dryness. 

On the whole, it seems America is very put off by HRT.  It was here we did the big work on the Women's Health Initiatvei that cabaoshed HRT in 2002.  However since there are are other studies such as the KEEPS study that show better results for HRT.

Seems like everyone here is on anti-anxiety or AD meds.  I question the wisdom of this....
Pages: 1 [2]