Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 250668 times)

honeybun

Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »

Basically its the GP and then social services for an evaluation. Thats how it works up here CLKD. It may be different in England but I doubt it.

If hospital is involved then there is usually a programme  of help set up before discharge.

It is best to be prepared though.

Honeyb
x

Bette

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »

I'd say GP in first instance, CLKD. We've been "lucky" in that because Mum was taken to hospital after her fall and then had a hip op. she seems to have gotten into the "system" and so far it's worked well. I know that others haven't found the system to have worked so well, though.  :-\ I think that her GP is good which is a big help.
Bette x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »

:thankyou:  I'll ask at the Surgery next time I pop in, not that we require assistance at this moment in time but it will probably be useful  ::)

Bette

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »

I did mean her gp, CLKD but maybe you realise that.  ???
Bette x

Scampi

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »

My Mum is only 69, but has Parkinsons and normal pressure hydrocephalus, both of which contribute to her almost complete lack of mobility.  To 'get her in the system' to get some help at home we had to contact Social Services ourselves.  My Dad died in February (cancer) and in the couple of months before his final admission to hospice he had morning carers to help him get washed and dressed.  When he was admitted to the hospice (and we knew it was for the last time, and wouldn't be a long stay), the carers told Mum to contact her GP for referral to get carers herself, so Mum duly called the GP .... who told her 'she has a daughter' so didn't need carers!!!!  I called Social Services myself (4 times in the end, the second, third and fourth calls emphasising that Mum had fallen and needed hospital treatment twice sinve my first call to them - all 3 times they said Mum was 'urgent' for assessment!) and she was finally assessed for care in APRIL.  She now has a carer every morning.  Most mornings, they simply do jobs like changing the bed sheet and putting out the rubbish, but some mornings she needs more help.

Mum can go from expressing a wish to go in a home to telling me she wants to stop the carers (NOT happening!!) in the space of one sentence!  A locum GP (called by the carer one morning when she was concerned about Mum's level of confusion) referred her to the elderly psychiatry team - a community mental health nurse came to Mum's bunglalow and assessed her.  She has no signs of dementia of any kind - apparantly her confusion, forgetfulness and inability to understand more than one thing at once is down to her grief for Dad and for the life she had until about October last year (that's when her mobility started to really fail).

Mum either cannot or will not grasp that she is not going to wake up one morning and be able to walk again - she is constantly telling me what she will do when she can move again, when she can get out again, etc.  it breaks my heart as I know it's simply not going to happen.  She was always so active and full of life and to see her struggling to do the simplest of jobs and just whiling away her days watching antiques shows on TV is soul-destroying.  We tried taking her to our static caravan for the weekend and that was a disaster, so basically she is effectively stuck where she is for the rest of her life (other than the odd trip out, which has to be planned with military precision, and which she enjoys once they happen but makes a big fuss about how hard it is in the days before, and there is no way you can surprise her with an outing - she just wouldn't go!).

I know, in the big scheme of things, I'm lucky with Mum - she makes no demands on me and, with the help of the carers (and the knowledge she has a little thing round her wrist that will call the emergency services if she falls - clever!), she is relatively independant.  But sometimes I despair at the state she's in, I miss the Mum I have lost hugely, and it breaks my heart when she tells me she's just in the way and would be better off dead  :'(

Sorry - once I start venting all this I can't stop  :(  Hubby does his best, but he's never been the best at emotional things (he's GREAT with practical problems!), and I do my best not to moan to my friends - I'm fed up with myself for moaning, so goodness knows how they feel!  At least you girls can just stop reading when you've had enough!!  Thanks for listening x

Bette

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 08:28:37 AM »

That is exactly why I started this thread, Scampi, so that we have a place where we can get it all out knowing that it will be read by others who really understand and care.  :hug:
I'm glad that you've finally got a carer but it's appalling that you had to go through so much and that gp should be ashamed of himself.  >:( Mum's carers don't actually do much but it's important that they check that she's taken her meds and are good at keeping an eye on and flagging up potential problems. She also finds them very reassuring which is important as confidence seems to play a big part in her confusion.
She's been a bit better over the last few days so I'm beginning to think that the shock of the fall, op, hospital stay and the fact that she was semi-conscious for 24 hours are factors in her confusion. It may well just be the natural ageing process but I think that it will be good to get an official diagnosis just to make sure.
I can believe that grief could be doing a lot of this to your Mum, Scampi; you've all been through so much. And I know exactly what you mean by But sometimes I despair at the state she's in, I miss the Mum I have lost hugely
Please keep posting, we can all help each other through this.  :-*
Bette x

san

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »

before on the phone ... "are you her daughter? oh a niece! Do you visit every day?"

I knew where this was going  >:(  ::)

Bette

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 06:42:33 PM »

I had a call earlier from the carer to say that they're going to drop the evening visit as she's doing so well.  :o I pointed out that although the last few days have been good, only last week she was dreadfully confused; she admitted that she hadn't seen her personally next week and that it was one of the nurses who'd said that they could drop one visit. I pointed out that we're going away next Weds for a week (hopefully) and I was counting on the carers going in, so she said that they would chat it through at the office tomorrow. I also told her that the gp has requested a psych. assessment which seemed to make her pause.
I know that they're not actually doing much but I still think that the visits are very valuable. Maybe I'm wrong?  ???
Bette x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »

Not wrong at all!  Whose peace of mind is this for?  They are OK in the Office situation of assessing how far your Mum has 'come' in recent weeks but you need to know that there are people going in !  however much your Mum has improved, surely she needs some regular contact for a while yet!

Hopefully they will take on board that you will not be around to pick up any pieces  ;) point out that this isn't a holiday just for you but there are others involved!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »

Sounds rotten Scampi.  We're all here for you.  Can't stop - buzzer's just gone off to tell me hair dye time is up - don't want to end up like Elvis!! ;D ;D

san

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »

if they drop visits and you want them to continue ask them for a list of carer organisations. You can pay for it.
Maybe they are planning to wean her off for when their visits stop 

don't cancel your plans for going away Bette. You need a time to recharge :hug:

Bette

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »

Thanks everyone. I just needed to hear someone else say it!
The problem is that this is being provided by the "Interim Care Team" and they should have stopped going in weeks ago.  ::) However, they're waiting for Social Services to take over; when the social worker came round a few weeks ago we agreed on two visits a day but that hasn't started yet. I can understand the Interim Care Team wanting to "wean her off" their care, as that's their job but it's not our fault that Social Services are dragging their heels. I think that I'll have to stand by my guns for now. We know that Mum will have to contribute once SS take over and that's fine.
I am keen to go away, as is OH and Mum too - she'd be furious if I didn't go.
Bette x

san

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »

with me the interim team called in a private film to take over as they had to sign the job of for their staff. I increased the care to what I wanted it to be and paid just that part of it.

You're right Bette ... your mum will put you on the 'naughty spot' if you don't go away ..  ;D

Scampi

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 07:03:08 AM »

What really makes me angry about all this is the job my Mum did for almost 25 years until she retired .... she was a sheltered housing warden.  She was a proper, 'old fashioned' warden - she physically visited all her residents (26 bunglalows) 5 days a week (not just calling them on the intercom), helped them with shopping, pension collecting (remember pension books that you had to take the Post Office for cashing - Mum used to take at least half a dozen a week, many more when the weather was poor!), presciptions, sorted out Social Services, doctors, everything.  She was wonderful - her attention and help meant her residents could stay independently in their own homes.  And now Mum needs that sort of support herself .... she lives in the same village she used to work in - when she was working the village had FIVE wardens (4 resident in their own complexes and one 'walk-round' who did the daily visits, etc, for a very small complex and those living in their own homes in the village rather than one of the council complexes) - there is now one warden in the village and all she does is contact her list of 'priority clients' by intercom each day (and Mum isn't one of them)!!  She is no longer allowed to do most of the stuff Mum and her colleagues did - the stuff that really helps, and she isn't expected to actually SEE her 'clients' at all!!!  >:(

Effectively, the carer Mum has each morning is doing the support role a warden would have done in the past - she checks Mum is ok each day, makes sure her tablets are sorted out (Mum gets her tablets delivered by the chemist in a 'dosset box' - each box holds one week's tablets in 4 blisters for each day - morning, lunch, tea and bed - makes it easy to remember which to take when) and calls in assistance if she feels it's necessary.  Mum was classed as 'part-time' (she was contracted to 25 hours a week) and in that time supplied that level of help to 26 homes - surely that was more 'efficient' (hate that word!!) than all these 'carers' running around like idiots!!

Going to stop ranting now!  I hope everybody's 'olds' are doing well today x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »

Scampi - that is so sad about your Mum being a warden and now needing help herself.  I'm afraid the world has moved on and not for the better.

Our village had (until a couple of years ago) a warden who lived in a house on site and covered all the little bungalows for elderly people.  She was wonderful, she went in to see each of them every morning and every afternoon.  She did all the things you describe and she also used to organise little bring & buy sales, coffee mornings, BBQs and trips out for the residents.  They all knew that if they needed her at any time they just had to pick up the phone. 

Now there's no warden, nobody checks on them physically and if they need someone urgently they are put through to a centre in Kent - we're in Norfolk!!! ;D ;D :'( :'(  The wardens house has now been given to a family and it is not well looked after at all.  Weeds & uncut grass, rubbish outside and it was all spotless when the warden lived there. 

I was talking to one of the residents the other day and she was saying how wonderful the warden used to be and nothing was too much trouble.  One time she had a problem with water not going down the plughole on the floor of her wetroom.  She said the warden just got down on her hands & knees, unscrewed it and cleared a load of hair from it .... job done!  If they need anything now they have to make about 3 phone calls and wait a fortnight. ::)

Ladies like your Mum were marvellous (my Auntie was a warden too) and I think they should be brought back.  It's the personal touches which are missing today.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74