Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 252605 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #1080 on: April 26, 2020, 08:38:35 AM »

Snatched from above :

What people don't realise is that one pays for the whole package: building, maintenance, insurance etc.   DH and I were talking earlier today on the back of this thread and he wishes that the care system was more transparent.  We don't know if Mum is paying the same fees as other self funders ........... or if they see her as a cash cow  :-\.  When fees went up in April the lady who had a separate room has had to double up as her funding has dried up, it's quite common in the care industry.  She does have a property but we don't know if that has already been sold thus far ...... also, relatives do not have to pay for care, it's a choice.  The Government cannot take monies from relatives in order to top up what LA should be paying. 

It's emotional blackmail, because many 'contracts' state that relatives will have to find another situation should for any reason the position 'fails' but it's a bit wishy washy as to what 'failure' would be.  Mum had 7 days notice when Dad was in a Home.  But the 'contract' wasn't specific and she refused to allow me to put it in front of the family Solicitor.

What I would like to see is that there is 1 owner to 1 care home and all care homes should have full nursing availability.  Currently where Mum stays District Nurses attend for end of life support to the care teams. 

The owner of where she stays now has 4 homes across the UK.  But doesn't increase the amount of staff where she is.  So still, 2 people for 25 residents over night - surely that can't be safe, what if there is a fire!!!

If Homes are Company run such as Barchester ........... usually full nursing care available - that the profits after maintenance costs are ploughed back into the home at local level, not into the Company over-all. 

CLKD

« Reply #1081 on: April 26, 2020, 11:26:08 AM »

Correct.  But one shouldn't have to pay extra as Nursing Care should be free at the point of delivery!  which in these cases, is in Care Homes.  After all one doesn't pay for A&E etc..  That's another issue that they should be made aware of.  You may have been able to claim it back if you knew the Barrister who was taking on such issues. 

CLKD

« Reply #1082 on: April 26, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »

Tnx for that Diane200.  It shouldn't be an extra service as it's keeping people out of Hospital.  One wouldn't pay under the NHS. Another issue to raise with 'them'.

CLKD

« Reply #1083 on: April 26, 2020, 07:31:57 PM »

What don't you understand?  There are care homes that don't have nurses - some don't even have basic first aid experience  ::).  Where Mum stays it's a care home, District Nurses and GPs attend weekly and as necessary.

District Nurses do end of life care.

Other types of care have both caring and full nursing care when necessary which means that the resident doesn't have to undergo the upheaval of moving from care to nursing home.  I do worry about vulnerable people being cared for on the 1st or 2nd floors  :-\ especially where lifts are concerned.  What if there's a fire  :-\  :'(

Several that I looked round over the years offered both.  Dad was quite happy where he was, the carers were advised by a Matron who had nursing staff .........there was also a garden for sunny days and they always had enough Staff to wheel residents into the fresh air. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:16:11 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #1084 on: April 27, 2020, 02:17:38 PM »

That's why many residents have to move from a care home when they eventually require nursing care which is a huge upheaval.  Most people will require nursing care eventually so all Homes offering care should have nursing care available.  It would save people having to move late in life.

Jeepers

« Reply #1085 on: April 27, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »

I feel so sorry for the folks in care homes at the moment.  My Mum has her own little flat and garden, and I take her shopping round.  she said she'd rather be dead than go into a home.

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #1086 on: April 27, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »

;D. stellajane - that would be me then  ;)

Jeepers - how is your Mum coping overall?

CLKD

« Reply #1087 on: April 28, 2020, 09:59:46 AM »

Mine changed her mind.  On her 91st birthday, she made the suggestion that she needed more care.  I haven't got over it yet, still in shock.  She's 93 now  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #1088 on: April 29, 2020, 10:19:28 PM »

I'm very glad mum and dad are in their own home at the moment, dad at 95 ( in 7 days time ) and mum at 92. Their cleaner is still coming, though she had to self isolate before. It sounds like they are her only clients. I would rather she didn't come, but they can't cope without help. They don't stay in the same room when she's there. They are surrounded by neighbours who keep an eye out for them, phone calls replacing visits., checking if they are ok and if they need anything. I know my dad would opt to go into a home if mum died, but I think mum would refuse to go. I'm phoning every night at the moment.

CLKD

« Reply #1089 on: April 30, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »

Maybe the Cleaner is entitled to be tested now?  Are they OK this week Ju Ju?

Ju Ju

« Reply #1090 on: April 30, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »

Yes, they seem ok and are appreciating all the support of their neighbours. They are isolating, but not isolated.

CLKD

« Reply #1091 on: June 16, 2021, 12:11:46 PM »

So now it is suggested that all care home staff should be vaccinated or they risk losing their jobs.   A bit like shutting the stable door me feels!

The argument is that those care homes that insist on this, will have problems recruiting ........ go figure.  Those that apply who haven't been vaccinated don't get an interview.  End of.  Same as those going into give personal care in private homes .......... surely no 1 in a caring industry would not be vaccinated?  Whilst it's a personal choice - 4 which 2 WWs were fought, anyone not prepared to risk vaccination should look for a job in a different sector.

Taz2

« Reply #1092 on: June 17, 2021, 05:49:03 AM »

I think this should definitely include those giving personal care in private houses. My disabled daughter in law has carers visit twice a day and not one of them have taken up the offer of vaccination. I think it's appalling that someone in a vulnerable situation, in which she has no choice on deciding who gives her personal care, should be put more at risk. Cases in her area are well above the average at 150 per 100k population.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #1093 on: June 17, 2021, 08:08:22 AM »

That's appalling Taz.  What do Social Services suggest?  It's the hidden few again ...........

Taz2

« Reply #1094 on: June 17, 2021, 10:23:36 AM »

It's a private care company. There is no law in place to force carers to accept the vaccination and you can't dismiss them for it either so the caring companies are a bit stuck. Hopefully things will change soon.

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74