Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Nearly 50 and have taken up jogging :)  (Read 86127 times)

Taz2

Re: Nearly 50 and have taken up jogging :)
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »

It's a really common runner/jogger complaint PN http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-splints/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Taz x

purplenanny

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2012, 10:19:38 PM »

Thanks Taz, you are quick!

I am not sure as I only did walking for 10 mins including a very very short jog twice. But, the pain has stopped since I stopped. Very frustrating.

Will see doc next week for blood results. It will be interesting what he comes up with

Purplenanny x x

Ziggy

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »

;D

I have sadly had to stop the walking/jogging for the time being. It caused awful pain in my shins. Dr wants to see me next week for the results of blood tests and bone scan. Very dissapointed as I was building up nicely

Purplenanny x x

This is similar to what happened to me. I started running with the intention of doing the Race for Life. I built it up a little at a time but on the day I ran my first non stop mile I aggravated  a knee condition, ileotibial band syndrome, which I've had on and off for a number of years. It is very painful and made me decide that running isn't for me. I'll stick with my ice skating, it's less damaging to the joints.

I agree that your shin pain sounds like shin splints.

cherylks

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »

Is anyone still out there jogging???  I am nearly 49, bought a treadmill in Nov and am trying to jog.  Can only manage 5 mins and it hurts!!  Do you guys stretch beforehand?  Just wondered what I can do to stop the pain!

Rowan

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »

I went to see a physiotherapist a few days ago and one of the things that she told me was that a lot of business came her way from home get fit machines including the Wii, she said never work out on any of these in bare feet, always wear proper trainers.

Jogging on older joints is not a good idea, walking is far better!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2013, 07:54:42 PM »

Jogging is bad for us.  It can cause hair-line fractures and stress injuries to the ankles upwards  ::).  We are built for gentle walking or sudden spurts of running but not jogging and certainly not marathon running ..........  :cuss:

I started using the treadmill a couple of weeks ago but was so tired after ............  :P

minuette

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »

Yes I'm still here, still jogging, still loving it. Started when I was 49, now 50 and will be doing the Manchester 10k in May.

People will always have excuses for not doing things, but I say go for it! My "old joints" are loving it!

Limpy

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2013, 08:29:25 PM »

Well done Minuette - assume you've got decent trainers?

I really used to like jogging, felt really good after it

minuette

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »

Yes I got fitted for trainers before I started and that I highly recommend doing as lots of problems can arise from poorly fitting trainers.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »

Some one was telling me recently that there is a Company in the UK that takes foot measurements, notes how the person walks, where the pressure points in each foot are, how the foot rolls and then advises on what type of footwear they should buy. 

cherylks

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »

If you find out who that company is can you let us know??  I would be interested.... thanks x

Tingly

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »

I took up walking by accident a year ago, i kept getting weepy at night and was getting on my own nerves so i decided to walk roung the neighbourhood with headsets on (so i looked like i was listening to something!) and cry there instead!!
Anyhow 5 nights a week at 1/2 an hour resulted in a stone weight loss
Now a year later i do 40 mins four mornings a week . Am now 2 stone lighter and feel proud as punch. I never thought i wold see 8 stone 5 on the scales again... I wasnt even that when i got married 20 years ago!
Anyhow , my point is , intermittesntly over the year i tried jogging a few paces and as sure as eggs are eggs, EVERY time i did this, a few weeks later i ended up with different aulments including strained achilles, bad knee and plantar fascia ( like a lumpy feeling in my foot)
My advice... Forget the jogs n stick o walking...less glamorous😏but less painful ... And pretty effective!
( and now i can wear crazy youngsters clothing...if only i could be xxxrsed to go out anywhere!!

Taz2

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »

Well done Tingly. Wish it worked for me! I do a fast two mile walk - just under half an hour - most days but it has made no difference to my weight. I remember that when I was in my forties I had my varicose veins done and I had to walk for forty five minutes, non-stop, every day. I only weighed seven and a half stone then but at the end of six weeks I had lost 10lbs. It doesn't seem to work now that I am 59 though.

Taz x

Tingly

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »

Oh , how disappointing Taz. I better make sure i keep it off then if it stops working later! Bugger :)

Taz2

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2013, 08:26:45 PM »

It might be just me but obviously as we get older then metabolism slows down so I guess we just have to walk further and faster to get the same result - and eat less of course although I am in a muddle as to how much you should eat. My doc tells me I am not consuming enough calories!

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8