Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 79

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 861976 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #900 on: September 07, 2016, 05:55:33 PM »

Sorry JuJu - I misunderstood what you were saying.  The pharmacist was completely out of order to do this - it's not their job to tell you what you should or shouldn't be prescribed or use, unless there is a contraindication between various drugs. Many of us use Vagifem several times a week - it used to 25 mg anyway, so was far stronger. 
The instructions also say to stop using Vagifem after 2 years - why it is thought that VA will magical stop or be cured after 2 years of use absolutely baffles me :P  I will probably need it for the rest of my life.
DG x

Ju Ju

« Reply #901 on: September 07, 2016, 06:09:19 PM »

Thanks. The gynae called it reoestrogenising the vagina. Well, it's working and I've not had a thrush infection since.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #902 on: September 07, 2016, 07:37:18 PM »

Ring your GP and ask what was written on the prescription?  The Pharmacist isn't there to alter a prescription, did he ring your GP to enquire ?  He's there to prescribe ……..

Suzi Q

« Reply #903 on: September 08, 2016, 07:33:01 AM »

Id be reporting the chemist. Hes there to follow the Doctors prescription.
Not argue with you over it. Hes gone beyond the bounds in fact hes questioning
The Doctor. Is it a franchise chemist? Does he own the chemist or just a chemist in the shop? Id send at the very least a letter. Im on 10 by 7 one every night its still not right
25x2 with an odd extra one worked fantastic.  I cant put 2 in i burn its the covering.
2 lots of it is too m7ch. Plus ive been on vag for over 6 years and been assured as long as nothing goes wrong i can use it for ever

Ju Ju

« Reply #904 on: September 08, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »

I got the prescription. It was very clear. 2 pessaries twice a week. It was just that I felt I was being judged for being prescribed double the normal amount of vagifem. I didn't feel I should have to justify or explain why this amount was prescribed. It certainly is part of a pharmistist's job to query a prescription if she/he thinks a prescription is incorrect. But there are ways of doing this and certainly not by giving me a lecture. I suppose I could have told her the gory details why this has been prescribed. In the middle of Boots. I wouldn't have thought it unusual to be prescribed more than the recommended amount if it is necessary. I shall be avoiding this chemist in future.

yorkshirerose

« Reply #905 on: September 15, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »

I've just been prescribed ReplensMD by my GP to cope with dryness, has anyone used this...I am well behind with my smears as I find it so painful, she thinks this will help.....

Dancinggirl

« Reply #906 on: September 15, 2016, 12:02:39 PM »

yorkshirerose - you need Vagifem - so get back to the GP and ask for this.  Vagifme is local oestrogen and will be far more effective.  Use the Replens as well as the Vagifem.  I also use Sylk which I find really great to add some moisture and lubrication. 
I use serious extra lubrication for sex.  BTW I'm 60 and have needed vaginal moisturisers and local oestrogen for many years and will probably need these for the rest of my life to keep things comfortable. Dg x

dahliagirl

« Reply #907 on: September 15, 2016, 02:35:35 PM »

I got queried a couple of times by pharmacists with my old GPs prescriptions - the one at Sainsbury's came out from the back specially when I picked my prescription up.  My local pharmacy went through 3 labels trying to get it right.  ;D

It said "use 1 or 2 twice weekly"

They were quite happy when I said that it was so that you could double it up if one wasn't enough.  No problem with that. Seemed pretty standard.  It was just the wording tied their brain in knots  ;D

The prescription at my new GP just says "Insert one pessary into the vagina as directed", but they prescribe two boxes  :)

Burchers

« Reply #908 on: November 03, 2016, 07:41:18 AM »

Hi I'm 45 and this has been a major problem for me. My gp has put me on HRT patches and Replens vaginal moisturiser and Estriol cream. I'm in absolute agony and been unable to sleep with my husband for years. It's just too painful and I get infections.
Hoping to get my life back

Dancinggirl

« Reply #909 on: November 03, 2016, 10:53:27 AM »

Burchers - welcome to MM.  You poor thing, so many women suffer in silence over this and the treatment you are getting now will hopefully work it's magic over the next few weeks.  You are certainly not alone with with this problem - lots of us get ongoing urogential atrophy problems and will need treatment for the rest of our lives. It may take time for you as you have obviously been oestrogen deficient for so long - be patient, expect some strange things like tingling and itching around your ‘lady bits' at first - this will be everything ‘waking up'.   
The other moisturiser I like to use on a daily basis is called Sylk.  I didn't like the mess of Replens so prefer to use Sylk and if the Estriol cream is messy and irritates then the alternative to this is Vagifem which is easier to use, so you can ask your GP for this if you don't get on with the cream.
The HRT patches is a very good idea as you are far too young to be oestrogen deficient and this systemic HRT will help to protect your heart and bones for the long term and will help to restore libido etc.. 
Bravo to your GP for getting you on the right treatment - sadly too many GPs are not up to speed on these things so have been lucky. 
When you do feel ready to attempt sex again, it is vital you use lots of lubrication - many women like the ‘YES' products but I get on fine with Durex Extra glide or similar. Do give yourself time - it may take some weeks to get things back on track and systemic HRT patches may bring some side effects at first so report back to us for support if you are worried about this, however, side effects often settle within a few months.   Let us know how you get on. DG x

Burchers

« Reply #910 on: November 03, 2016, 12:49:55 PM »

Thank you so much. I've had a tough few months with terrible anxiety I've managed to stay at work but feel very fragile.
What do I need to look out for

Kkay

« Reply #911 on: December 31, 2016, 06:06:32 AM »

Hello all,

I am a new member. This site and particularly this discussion on vaginal dryness have been an absolute lifesaver. I literally dont know what I would have done if I hadn't stumbled on it and realised I am not alone.

I am 55 now, I went into menopause overnight at 42, probably due to autoimmune issues. I was ok on estrogel but everything came back this autumn after I had switched to Livial or Tibolone a year ago.

I have a lot of symptoms but the most distressing of all is what I can only describe as bladder irritability or jumpiness; it just never feels quite right and its almost impossible to feel comfortable. Its driving me crazy. (Repeated cultures show there is no infection). The gynecologist told me the vagina and vulva were red and inflamed and that I had vaginal atrophy. Peeing also burns on and off.

I tried vagifem 1x 14 nights and then twice weekly for 3 weeks but it didnt do the trick. I realise I might have to increase the dose (am also back on 2 squirts estrogel) -

Does this bladder discomfort sound familiar ?

Very depressed.

Kkay

« Reply #912 on: January 02, 2017, 05:23:02 AM »

Hello all,

I'm not sure I posted this in the right place - I think it isn't being seen- so am reposting - Happy New Year, everyone !

I am a new member. This site and particularly this discussion on vaginal dryness have been an absolute lifesaver. I literally dont know what I would have done if I hadn't stumbled on it and realised I am not alone.

I am 55 now, I went into menopause overnight at 42, probably due to autoimmune issues. I was ok on estrogel but everything came back this autumn after I had switched to Livial or Tibolone a year ago.

I have a lot of symptoms but the most distressing of all is what I can only describe as bladder irritability or jumpiness; it just never feels quite right and its almost impossible to feel comfortable. Its driving me crazy. (Repeated cultures show there is no infection). The gynecologist told me the vagina and vulva were red and inflamed and that I had vaginal atrophy. Peeing also burns on and off.

I tried vagifem 1x 14 nights and then twice weekly for 3 weeks but it didnt do the trick. I realise I might have to increase the dose (am also back on 2 squirts estrogel) -

Does this bladder discomfort sound familiar ?

Very depressed.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #913 on: January 02, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »

Hi Kkay - sorry you haven't had a response.
As you had a premature meno then VA can be more of a problem.  If you have been using a fairly low dose of oestrogen then your ‘lady bit's will suffer more from VA as well - I do hope you are still using full systemic HRT?   Local oestrogen like Vagifem will help but if the VA and bladder problems have become quite severe then a reduction in symptoms will take longer.  The Vagifem may have to used more often for some time ( possibly of the rest of your life) and do use vaginal moisturiser like Sylk on a daily basis to keep things more comfortable. You can get Sylk online but there other vaginal moisturisers  e.g. YES products, that many seem to like.
This type of urogenitial atrophy is far more common than is thought - you are certainly not alone.

When the bladder is badly effected you also need to adopt various strategies:
Make sure you drink enough water and avoid caffein, alcohol and any acidic drinks e.g. orange or cranberry juice.
Make sure you empty your bladder fully each time you pee - rock your hips back and forward a little when you feel you have finished, as you may find this releases some urine.
Empty your bladder every 3-4 hours.
Do pelvic floor exercises to strengthen the area but also practise relaxing the pelvic floor so you don't retain any urine while peeing.
Don't use anything scented to wash the ‘lady bits' - showering is better that baths and don't wash your hair in the shower or the shampoo can get to the 'lady bits'.
Lots of lubrication for sex is essential and daily use of vaginal moisturiser is also very good.
Keep using the Vagifem - at least 3-4 times a week till things are improved - daily for the next 3-4 weeks may also be a good idea but you need to chat with a gynae about this if your GP won't agree to you doing daily for that long. Once things are feeling better then ongoing use of Vagifem at least twice a week will be necessary or symptoms will return.
If the urethra is burning then drink a small glass of water with half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in it - do this morning and evening till it feels better - this will neutralise the urine and help relieve the burning.

Increasing the Oestrogel is probably a good idea - I believe systemic oestrogen helps the bladder function better.
I do hope things improve - you are doing the right things but it is just going to take time and ongoing treatment to keep things under control.  I have suffered with urogenital atrophy for many years so I hope my tips are helpful.
Dg x

Kkay

« Reply #914 on: January 02, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response, Dancing Girl,  I really appreciate it very much.

I am on full systemic HRT; currently using two puffs of estrogel daily.  I will also do periodic progesterone in the form of Dydrogesterone. I will use vagifem more frequently, as you and many others here have suggested.

I dont have that much frequency but a constant feeling of bladder discomfort at best and a worst a heavy, dragging feeling. This bothers me much more than the burning, which I find I can deal with better. Does this sound familiar to anyone ? Have you come accross others mentioning this? I sometimes panic and wonder if there are other things going on as well...

Rather depressed.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 79