Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 79

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 862229 times)

cheesed off

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »

hi thanks taz, theres one thing thats bothering me is and i dont now what the doc told you to do is on the leaflet inside the  pack says 1 for 2 weeks then 1 twice a week for 10 wks then see doctor , but on the box where they print your name and dose etc it says use twice weekly  bit confused !

love cheesed off xx

Taz2

« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »

My doc gave me the same instructions as on the leaflet - one a night for two weeks then one twice a week for the next 10 weeks before having to go back for a further prescription. How many have you got in your pack? It could be that your "problems" were not as far advanced as mine and you are being started on as low a dose as possible.

Love Taz x

cheesed off

« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2008, 04:43:40 PM »

hi taz ,got 15 in pack , 25 micrograms

love cheesed off xx

Taz2

« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2008, 04:47:31 PM »

I had 40 in mine so it does seem that the doc has decided how much you need. I would say give it a go as per the instructions on the printed label and if it doesn't make any difference within a couple of weeks then go back and see the doc saying that you need to use it more often.

Love Taz x

cheesed off

« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2008, 04:53:09 PM »

:thankyou: taz 

love cheesed off xxx

Taz2

« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »

I have searched all over the different sites and all of them say 1 a night for 2 weeks to get enough into your system then to drop back to one twice a week for 10 weeks. After 10 weeks you may then need to go back up to 1 a night for another two weeks.

If you don't get the results you need pretty quickly then I would definitely go back to the GP. Maybe they are cutting costs by prescribing less - I sound cynical but you never know :)

Love taz x

rik

« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »

We've just put a movie online on this subject.
direct link: here

It's on the podcasts page (link at the top of the page) and also on the green side menu under:
What is HRT?/Vaginal dryness treatments.

It's a 5 minute movie (wmv file, 10Mb).
Entitled "Breaking the silence" and it deals with the common menopausal problem of vaginal atrophy and its treatment.  Dr.Currie does the voice-over in the middle of it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:42:00 PM by rik »

cheesed off

« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2008, 01:28:46 PM »

hi just had a chat with my doctor ,and she said that to use twice a week because it may cause irritation in some cases,but can do as leaflet if i like

hopefully all sorted now !!!!!!!!! thanks again taz

just seen the movie thanks

love cheesed off xx

Rosebush

« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »

My Gp told me also to use 1 twice a week, i got 15tabs @ 25mcg..Had to push for these, so hope i can get a repeat prescription.. :-\

cheesed off

« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2008, 03:14:25 PM »

i have asked to be on repeat prescription. and she has put me on it but i have to go back to see her in 4 weeks

good luck with your doc rosebush  :)

love cheesed off xx

Taz2

« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »

Godo movie rik - I am trying to spread the word as you may have noticed  :)

Jacksfullofaces

« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »

Excellent movie Rik
Thanks
Jacksfullofaces

Fi

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »

Hi girls

I joined the forum yesterday mainly to get help on this very topic so I thought I'd better tell my story here. Already, having read through everybody else's stories, I feel a bit better. I don't feel so totally alone with this damned thing. Thanks everyone!

Right, here goes - it's a long story - apologies in advance...oh, before I start I should say that I'm 50, definitely through the menopause and that I have been a widow for years.

It started back in June, when out of the blue I got a brief sharp pain when I went to the loo. Hadn't had cystitis in 25 years and it didn't feel quite like it anyway. It felt more as if i had a scratch or something 'down below' which was being burned as the urine passed across it. Anyway, after panicking for an hour or two, I went out and bought a cystitis remedy. The brief burning pains went in a day or two but I began to feel more generalized discomfort spreading up right over my abdominal area. I decided after a few days that I had to see a doctor about it. I told her my symtoms, that it didn't feel like classic cystitis. I also told her that I was post-menopausal and that I wondered if it was related to that. She didn't even examine me and reached for the prescription pad without further ado - antibiotics for a urinary infection.

Of course, they didn't fix the problem. She had told me that if I still felt bad in 48 hours I was to go back. Of course, 48 hours took us into the weekend, when the surgery was closed, so when I still felt awful, I had to go to the out-of-hours surgery at the hospital. Saw another doctor. She was very nice, examined me this time, and gave me more specific antibiotics, despite the fact that I was not having any of the usual cystitis symptoms. These had no effect either.

So a week or two later I was back at the surgery with another doctor - she was lovely, very sympathetic. I told her about the stress I was feeling under. She took urine to be tested and said she'd look into counselling for me. Went back the next week - tests were clear. I must have been feeling a bit better because she sent me away with the name of a counsellor but nothing else. I mentioned to her again that I thought it was hormonal and related to my menopause. I even asked her about an oestrogen cream but I got nowhere. Didn't feel strong enough to force it.

By this time I had stopped wearing jeans because of the discomfort. Sitting down was uncomfortable - well, you all know what it feels like. Eventually, I got up one morning and decided I was going to go to a fourth GP, this time to one that I knew quite well - she was the same age as me and she knew a bit about my circumstances. I told her my symptoms and she immediately asked - when was your last period? The relief! She sent me home with OrthoGynol, an oestrogen cream. I couldn't believe it, after two months of misery and worry.

Now I did something stupid -when I opened the box, the warning sheet inside was so frightening that I didn't give myself a full dose. I used it every night but only half or less of the dose - what an idiot!. ANyway, I felt a bit better after the first fortnight and began to lessen the frequency. Unfortunately, the doctor hadn't been very specific about how long I could use it, so I was always desperately trying to cut down. Consequently, I found myself two months on and feeling as bad as ever. So I went back to the doctor yesterday (another one again) - this time with a list of questions. She explained that I could use it intermittently for as long as I needed, that I probably had never given myself a proper dose and that it would be quite all right to go back to once a night for a week and see how things go, also that yes, it was possible to recover from this and that I wouldn't be stuck like this for ever.

As soon as I got back I searched online until I found this wonderful place. Now I know I'm not alone, I'm not weird (at least not because I have vaginal dryness  ;)), and that there are real women out there who have got better.

I know I've rambled on here but I thought it might be useful to tell my story. I'm really annoyed that three doctors didn't even think of vaginal dryness even though I stressed my menopausal state, that I went through two pointless doses of antibiotics and months of discomfort. The person I'm really annoyed with though is the nurse who did my smear a year ago. It was agony (never been like that before) and I made some joke about having healed over through lack of use. "Oh no" she said "it'll be because of the menopause". But she didn't say anything else - no suggestion about what I could do about it. I can only assume that because I was a widow she thought I didn't need a functioning vagina. If she had picked up on my pain then, I could have been sorted before any of this happened - it makes me absolutely mad.

Thanks for listening girls - I hope I can help if anyone else is feeling grotty.  :)

Jacksfullofaces

« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2008, 08:55:32 AM »

You have a right to be mad. Counselling  for lack of oestrogen  ::)  where do they get these half witted doctors from. Those leaflets have to list every conceivable scenario just for legal reasons. If just one person had an itchy big toe while taking the medication it would be printed in bold black writing to warn the patient that this was a side effect  ;D
It really should have been elementary to any doctor that given your age and status that atrophy of the vagina was causing the problem and considering the current trend not to prescribe antibiotics I'm surprised you were not given a thorough pelvic examination by the doctor to check that you hadn't suffered a small tear.
I'm fortunate enough to have a first rate GP but I find men more sympathetic towards female hormone troubles then female medics.
Jacksfullofaces

Fi

« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2008, 09:38:02 AM »

Thanks Jacks - maybe I'll go to a male doctor next time!

I'm three days into using the oestrogen cream but I'm still feeling pretty grotty. Please tell me someone that this is normal, that it takes the full week for things to settle down. I'm trying to be calm and not think about it but it is so hard to concentrate on anything with this damn thing.  :(
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 79