Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 79

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 860179 times)

Bluesky

• First Flush
Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #1095 on: May 15, 2021, 04:53:21 PM »

CLKD, thanks for advice - I am very careful to wipe front to back and  trying to eat less sugar (extremely difficult) also started a new regime of probiotics for 3 months see if I can reset my gut, and I have now started the weekly thrush pessary GP has put me on(the discharge of tit is quite irritating) and I am going to start systemic HRT on day 1 of my next period and continue with the local oestrogen (3 times a week). GP says to start with 2 pumps only but gynaecologist said I could go up to 4 depending on symptoms. I think I am going to start slow with 2 pumps and see how I get on. I am expecting some erratic bleeding as side effect and some breast tenderness but willing to give a trial of 3 months, I really need to get sorted regarding thrush and VA. I think the labia minora is smaller than it used to. I think labia minora is smaller than it used to be before peri menopause as a result of lack of estrogen.

Denise Didi

« Reply #1096 on: June 03, 2021, 07:43:10 AM »

Feeling miserable, started on the ovestin cream a few weeks ago and helped my itchy stinging on my labia and seemed to also boost my mood and energy levels. Now gone from daily applications to twice weekly and struggling with low mood and itchyness in between times that I use vagisil for. Feeling fat, frumpy and miserable  :'(

Joaniepat

« Reply #1097 on: June 03, 2021, 07:53:10 AM »

Maybe twice a week with the Ovestin is not enough? Perhaps try three times a week. Also, do you apply some directly to the labia? That might help. For low mood etc, you would need HRT, as Ovestin is only local. I agree that an uncomfortable undercarriage does nothing for your mood, though.
JP x

Denise Didi

« Reply #1098 on: June 04, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »

Hi On hrt estradot 100mc for over a year. Going to use ovestin three times and see if that helps. I used the insertion thingy and spread over my labia too. Just feel maybe I need a increased dose.

JanS

• First Flush
« Reply #1099 on: June 12, 2021, 05:58:08 PM »

I went through the menopause at 33  :( did not know anything about it had hot flushes was put on hrt for 11 years.  came off that and was okay for a couple of years but every time i went for a smear i would be in agony for about a week afterwards - thinking that i had thrush i used canesten!.  It is only since 2016 that i discovered when i was bleeding when i went to the doctor who told me that a i had vaginal atrophy.  She prescribed Sylk. It was okay but it wasnt enough.  I then went on to YES VM which was brilliant, but, it came out as fast as i put it in.  I was also having urinary problems associated with VA.  I was then prescribed Estriol 0.01% cream.  Yes this definitely works, but, i was sore the day after it was inserted- it was burning my skin.   I have now been prescribed Imvaggis pessaries - haven't used it and this is 0.03% - my doctor explained it was weaker because it was a pessary (I hope she is right!) Has anyone else used this and have they had any side effects?  I will have to start using this sooner rather than later :(  It is driving me absolutely nuts being sore all the time now.  Definitely not nice!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 06:00:44 PM by JanS »

Bluesky

• First Flush
« Reply #1100 on: June 13, 2021, 06:38:55 PM »

Hi, Yes I use IMvaggis and I am doing ok. I tried ovestin which made me sore for days! then tried Vagifem which were slightly better than ovestin, but I prefer Imvaggis - very easy to insert, melts very quickly and there is no waste (no wasteful applicators).

JanS

• First Flush
« Reply #1101 on: June 14, 2021, 05:19:22 PM »

Hi Bluesky thank you for your input.  I am going to persevere with this am very grateful for your response.  It’s just driving me nuts at the moment.  Will comment again in a week’s time.  Fingers crossed.😁

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #1102 on: July 14, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie, who has been recommended this forum by a virtual friend on a very different forum. We have never met in real life, and I don't know what her board name is on this site. Many thanks to you if reading, because I have already learned from  here. Thank you all the professionals who have made this site, and the kind and supportive members.

The OP asks how I cope with dryness and atrophy. Well I would not be coping without the coincidence of having a virtual friend who was posting  about her difficulties with perimenopause and her mental health (to date, she has not mentioned any dryness problems), and watching the channel 4 programme presented  by  Davina  McColl on TV that she was going to watch.
The  dryness hit me only four months ago, and I thought I had a serious illness. I was  in
increasing  discomfort when I  watched the channel 4 programme, and realised it was all down to perimenopause. I am 56, and thought I had been lucky not to get hot flushes, weight problems, and the symptoms everybody knows about, but then suddenly I was feeling like something horrible had occurred inside me! Nobody and nothing had told me that what I was experiencing is part of perimenopause!

I think I am lucky to have seen limks to Dr Newson's videos, and the rest of the videos,  and this forum on the  subject of VA before seeing my GP. I am shy, and don't always manage to say everything that needs saying, but knowing the terminology helped, and the GP listened.

I am now on Estriol 0.01% cream which is working. I know when the maintenance applications are due, and have been given the OK to  use a tiny amount onto the entrance to my urethra when there is a start of a sting if it starts to dry between maintenance applications. I wasn't that great with the technique to use an applicator for full doses at first,  but it soon became easy.
I don't have to fret about where the nearest loo is. I sleep well. I  can  sit comfortably. The symptoms no longer cause me anxiety because they have been diagnosed and treated.
There was a glitchy time when I had my first period since starting treatment when the dryness restarted at day 4 when the maintenance dose would have been due. The GP had said that the doses wouldn't be needed at periods, but since menstrual flow was light, I applied it, and was comfortable again. I would query whether menstrual flow is being confused with the natural lubrication that I have lost due to the low oestrogen.

A long post! Everybody will have glazed over! I don't have to just cope, I can have the treatment and carry on without worrying  😀

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 10:55:26 AM by Gynaikeíos »

Kathleen

« Reply #1103 on: July 14, 2021, 03:17:42 PM »

Hello Gynaikeios

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I didn't have too many problems with VA  when my menopause started and then taking HRT helped a lot. Within two weeks of stopping all HRT the burning and itching that so many women describe made itself known and I began to understand the suffering that comes with this condition.

I agree that this site is a valuable resource for women and I am grateful to Dr Currie and all the contributors who make it such a success.

Wishing you well.

K.

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #1104 on: July 14, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »

Thank you for your welcome, Kathleen.

I am mystified why VA isn't mentioned in the media when the other symptoms of perimenopause are.

At my last check up with the Practice Nurse, she asked about periods, but didn't ask anything else when I said that I'm still regular. She did raise an eyebrow, but the subject was closed.

If I hadn't seen and read what I have, and had no Internet access, I know I would be suffering, and not unlikely to go to a GP who isn't up to date with the most recent findings and treatments for helping with a natural process that 50% of their patients experience.
My GP had seen several women with perimenopause symptoms who had watched the channel 4 programme and realised that there is help available. The GP  had done some reading as a direct result.

Kathleen

« Reply #1105 on: July 14, 2021, 04:23:32 PM »

Hello again Gynaikeios

It is interesting that your doctor has now seen other women with the same problem since the programme was broadcast and a little worrying that only now has she done some reading on the subject!

GPs can be fixated on hot flushes and night sweats but as the programme highlighted there are many other symptoms as well.  There have even been ladies here who have  listed their problems to their doctor but because these didn't include flushing they have been told that they cannot be menopausal. Some women never do have flushes or night sweats and these were the mildest of my symptoms.

I understand that Dr Louise Newson has started a charity to train GPs and provide other services including research into the menopause. It is being crowd funded to avoid undue influences from pharmaceutical companies.

Take care.

K.

Taz2

« Reply #1106 on: July 21, 2021, 06:49:25 AM »

Hi Hurdling. It's so annoying when doctors dismiss our needs and I'm sorry that you haven't received the support you need.

I'm not sure where you are in Meno but could you at least try the patch to see how you get on with it? If they don't work for you then you can return to your GP, armed with all of the information from this site, to ask for a change of progesterone. I was on Evorel sequi for many years but now don't need a progesterone due to a hysterectomy. It turned my life around within 48 hours.You would also benefit from topical oestrogen for the vaginal/bladder problems. This can be used alongside full HRT and many women including me need both.

Why not introduce yourself under New Members so more of us will be able to welcome you as new member posts on an existing thread are not always picked up.

Things will get better now you've got us lot to help you through.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1107 on: July 21, 2021, 07:50:52 AM »

Girls - it's surprising how many GPs will not support women and how many have no idea about perimenopause.  It's a huge failing on behalf of women by those supposed to be giving advice and treatment.

As for telling a patient that 'their time is up' during a phone call without getting to the gist of the problem, why didn't the GP make another appt or ask the patient into the Surgery?  Is there a Nurse Practitioner Hurdling? or a GP interested in womens problems.  Me, I would ring the surgery and ask for a direct referral to a menopause clinic: not a Gynae as they often know little more than GPs seem to do.  GPs should not refuse  but many do on the basis that each referral costs the Practice money.  Or look in your area to see if there is a clinic so that you can self refer?  Start at your local Hospital?

VA is one of the easiest symptoms to control once diagnosed, treated and applied regularly.  Some find that they require 'vagifem' nightly as well as Sylc or Yes products.  Same with 'ovestin'.  It's about keeping the whole area supple and moist.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads on the Forum.  Make notes!

Stella2

« Reply #1108 on: July 21, 2021, 08:41:46 AM »

I have been prescribed Vagifem and that helps but after once a day for 15 days, twice a week wasn't enough so my GP agreed to take it every other day.  Previously I tried Replens and it gave me terrible rash. Then i tried 'yes' what is excellent, although I don't think it would be enough to take just 'yes', better to use as a lubricant

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1109 on: July 21, 2021, 12:27:21 PM »

Replens has nasties in it apparently.

1 can use either 'ovestin' or 'vagifem' nightly.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 79