Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Bookworm  (Read 145184 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bookworm
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 03:47:54 PM »

I'm reading a good book: name escapes me: about a lady who has researched her dysfunctional family tree ...... when I have it to hand I'll let you know the title  ::) but it's been a page turner, even though I've had to write down the family members as I go!

menomax

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »

Sounds like my kind of book

silverlady

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »

My next read or audio book.

Barbara Erskine has a new book out "River of Destiny"

Heres a review 

This is an excellent novel by Barbara Erskine, who seems to improve with every book she writes. Zoe and Ken move to a quiet barn conversion in Suffolk, much against Zoe's wishes, so that he can indulge his competitive streak through his love of sailing. Left to her own devices, Zoe finds that she is best by strange dreams and visions, and it seems as if the barn's past is coming back to haunt her. Meanwhile, she falls for scarred, solitary Leo... and they find their love and their lives running parallel to the lives of those who loved and lived before, in particular the stolid Victorian smith, Daniel, unwilling lover to the Lady of the Big House... and the Saxon smith, Eric, who has created a mystical sword for his Lord. With consummate skill, Ms Erskine weaves a fantastic tale of loves thwarted and loves lost, of malice and magic and ancient curses, and shows why she is still Mistress of the timeslip novel, leaving others in the shade! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough! Superb summer reading, with plots and characters that stay with you long after the story has ended. Recommended!

Looking forward to it  :)

silverlady x

Hannah1

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »

I have read a couple of Barbara Erskine and loved them both - didn't realise that she was still writing.  Sounds good Silverlady.

I love Laurie Graham's books too - has anyone read any of her's?

Hannah

silverlady

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »

san

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »

The Iliad is free on kindle amazon  ;) I loved that book when I read it at school.

Hannah

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »

I can heartily recommend Evelyn and Nothing Green both by Evelyn Doyle. Be prepared for your heart strings to reverberate though!! Evelyn has done a wonderful job in sharing her past and I am in admiration for her courage and positive spirit.

*****star!

Hannah x

one year in

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »

Thanks SL, I'm glad you reminded me of that one - I'd heard it was good and then promptly forgot what the name of it was!

san

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »

i've bought 'Lost for Words' by Deric Longden. On my Kindle  :)
I remember the tv play but haven't read the book.

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2012, 09:14:19 PM »

Deric Longdon writes like he talks - about cats ?  I love his books.  If that is the person I am thinking of  :-\

san

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »

yep that's him CLKD.  :)

Hannah

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »

I've just finished, "Bertie, May and Mrs Fish" by Xandra Bingley and I would heartily recommend it if you can find a cheap copy. The format takes a bit of getting used to, but once done, the story really opens up. A lovely mix of memories from childhood of a country, middle class post war family.

I've tracked Xandra down to Primrose Hill in London, and will write c/o of her publishers to encourage her. (As an amauter writer myself, letters or cards of appreciation are always nice to receive!)

Xandra is now 70 and the book has been out about 7 years which at 62 gives me hope that one day, a publisher might take up one of my works!!! 8)

Hannah x

Taz2

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »

Don't give up Hannah. How many have you approached so far?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »

There are small self-publishing firms too tha knows!

Hannah

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2012, 07:06:13 PM »

Oohh I would love to read some of your poetry, Mrs P! Why don't you post one on the new poet's corner?  8)

I have self-printed (thru a local printer) 3 pieces of work so far. I did have an American publisher for Looking Through the Eyes of Love but after waiting a year to get off the ground, they put me on hold to 2013. I cancelled the contract and self-printed.

Most of my stuff is faith based, but a good selection of stories, poems and devotional pieces which has been well reeived in local churches, family and friends.

But I digress!  :o

I'm currently reading more children's books to enable me to focus on writing for 9-13 year olds, which is the age my grandchildren will be soon.  :)

Hannah x
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27