Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Bookworm  (Read 143273 times)

san

Re: Bookworm
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 06:33:12 PM »

I was about the same age BOB. Maybe we were at the same school  ::)
Part of our GSE reading. Didn't want to do O level as it was the classics and I preferred the modern writers.

ariadne

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »

I'm reading Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster. It was a free Kindle download and so far I'm enjoying it very much. Did someone on here recommend it or did I see a recommendation on the Internet  :-\ I can't remember.

"Daddy Long-Legs is a 1912 novel by the American writer Jean Webster. It is written as a series of letters and follows the protagonist, a young girl named Jerusha "Judy" Abbott who had been living in an orphanage, through her college years. She writes the letters to her benefactor, a rich man whom she has never seen."

ariadne xx

Oldteen

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »

I was about the same age BOB. Maybe we were at the same school  ::)
Part of our GSE reading. Didn't want to do O level as it was the classics and I preferred the modern writers.

No it wasn't my GCE reading. I had to do "Brighton Rock" and "Lord of the Flies".

Gerald Durrell was delighted that his book was required reading for GCE English as he could barely spell a word other than zoological ones! I am a huge huge fan of his, and what a remarkable family the Durrells were.

Ariadne, I've heard of "Daddy Long Legs", but have yet to read it.

viv

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »

I have just finished reading Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult. It was quite good but not as good as her earlier ones.

I have just started War Horse and I have a feeling I will cry before the end

Honeyb
x

one year in

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »

Great book San.  Try Zorba the Greek too - another classic and so funny! 

BOB, although the book was written in Corfu it is very typical of many parts of Greece.  If you have read the book you will appreciate a trip to any slightly less touristy part of Greece because the spirit of Greece is still there and Durrell has it down to a T!  If he was still around to write another book about Greece and the Euro crisis it wouldn't be much different!!

HB I seem to remember reading something interesting about Jodi Picoult and her personal life (did she write a book about it?).  You reminded me to look it up, thanks!

Can't wait to get my Kindle!

Margarett

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »

I've been away this week. I've now finished Heartstone by C.J. Sansome, very good descriptions of the "Mary Rose".
Now reading Spider Bones by Kathy Reichs, one of my favourite authors. Very good holiday read! It's nice to be back in the 21st century! I've read so many historical novels lately!

Bette

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »

Just finished Daughters-in-law by Joanna Trollope. Really enjoyed it. As usual, her books look deceptively frivolous on the surface but she's really insightful about people and relationships.
First book I've read for yonks. Now looking forward to Rescue by Anita Shreve (my favourite author along with Mary Wesley) and The Help (a recent birthday present. Wouldn't have thought of trying it otherwise but will be interested to see if I like it.)
Bette x

san

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »

Great book San.  Try Zorba the Greek too - another classic and so funny! 

Can't wait to get my Kindle!
Zorba not available on Kindle  :( I press the button that says I would like it available on Kindle.

Can you believe the Harry Potter books are not on kindle either! Amazing  :o

susie56

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »

I've been trying to read some classics -The Mystery of Edwin Drood but it's slow going.  I've always liked Dickens so I guess I'm just out of practice.
Another author I've enjoyed this year is Isabel Allende a chilean writer.  Her books are historical and full of great visual images of Chile and USA in past times and usually strong female characters.
I've really enjoyed Jo Nesbo too.  The funniest book I've read which actually had me laughing out loud was Caitlin Moran's "How to be a Woman". Every woman and a few men should read this.  It was hilarious but serious too.

silverlady

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »

My dad taught me to read before I started school with the Enid Blyton books and I have loved them ever since, "The Magic Faraway Tree" sticks in my mind the most though I loved all her books.

Hope I can post this link  http://www.enidblyton.net/others/the-folk-of-the-faraway-tree.html

silverlady x

oldsheep

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »

Just finished Graham Greene's short stories, written from 1930 - 1950s. Really enjoyed them.

Just started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt, which was a Booker finalist. It's taking me a while to get into it, but I think I'll persevere. I'm not one to keep going if a book doesn't grab me after 100 pages or so.

I bought a Val McDermid in our local cheap bookshop today - haven't read any of hers before.
I love Henning Mankel's Wallander books and wondered if anyone on here is also a fan and can suggest which one someone should start on? (I didn't start in sequential order and found some of the later ones better than the earlier). I'd like to get one for a friend as a present, but not sure which one.

ariadne

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »

I've read a few Val McDermid books and some I've liked and some I haven't. I recently read her "A Place of Execution" and thought that one was brilliant.

ariadne xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »

Daddy Long Legs was a film too ...........

I'm reading 3 books at present and can't remember any of the titles  ::)

ariadne

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »

Was it CLKD? I didn't know that. I shall nip over to Amazon or Play and have a look.

Thanks  :thankyou:

ariadne xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »

I think it was Audrey Hepburn, all I remember is a small girl standing with the long shadow over her hence the 'daddy long legs'.  Let me know how you get on, it was several years ago  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27