Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 822095 times)

suzieQ

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2007, 04:38:14 PM »

Absolutely - I agree. Witty, apposite(spelling?) and so true. Gets my award too. Love Sue

Cazikins

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »

Hi Taz, good luck at the docs next week, lets hope the HRT diary does the trick & you finally get it. Like your friend says think positive & if necessary hit the doc over the head until you get it.
:valkyrie: :valkyrie:
Please let me know how you get on because you have been so patient in your quest to get it.

Nice one Sleepless, I couldn't agree more.  :clapping: :clapping:

SevenOfNine

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2007, 02:45:04 PM »

Hot2trot - I think we eventually (some sooner than others) become 'symptom free' because of the body's own ability to adjust.  Do you think that might be the key to why the length of time and level of symptoms varies greatly between us?  Sounds feasible do you think, some can adapt quickly whereas others can't, therefore it drags on and on for them?

I think we hear mainly from women who have been suffering for years because those that haven't don't need support any longer.  I'm positive if I didn't still have the flushes and need reassurance that I'm not the only one, I wouldn't be visiting this board.  I'm not sure I'd want to constantly be reminded of such a 'fed up' time of my life once I'd got past it.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep wondering about everything :-\  It does my head in!  Maybe it's a meno symptom............... :-*

Hot2Trot

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2007, 05:57:24 PM »

I thought I would share with you my discussion with my gynaecologist this afternoon on the subject of HRT. This was blithely prescribed for me four months ago and although I was a bit surprised at the time, I understand now why. My gynae is a staunch supporter of HRT, believes every woman should be given the chance of a better quality of life with it and is very angry at the distorted scares that have been released. He was well on his hobby horse but has totally reassured me that my decision to take HRT and not worry about the consequences is right.

Breast cancer - the warnings given on this followed a study of ladies aged 65 who had never taken HRT. He said that once we reach menopause, without oestrogen, our breasts atrophy. He believes that it is inevitable that if 15 years or so later you re-introduce oestrogen to the system using HRT you have a disaster waiting to happen. HRT introduced at around the age of 50 and continued does not carry the risks that the study did.

Heart problems - He said that a study of two groups of women has been done. One set had been taking HRT for 10 or more years, the other had never taken HRT. The group that had taken HRT had little or no calcification (I think that was the word) in their arteries and their hearts were healthier than the other other group who hadn't taken it. He said that it has been statistically shown that women who take HRT live longer than those that don't.

Duration of treatment - this was very important for me as I am below the target starting age. He was adamant that the medical evidence shows that it is more beneficial to women to remain on HRT continuously and that it is actually harmful to their health to stop HRT just because some milestone on the calendar has been reached. He reiterated the benefits he has seen in women who have been taking it.

I have no reason not to take his word for it. He hasn't prescribed me a specific HRT, the one I have been given is just one of many brands using the same preparation (my script was generic, the pharmacy dispensed just one of those on their shelves of that type) so I don't imagine he has a financial interest in prescribing it. I have summarised what he said from our long chat about it and I felt he was genuine in all he said, and he really did seem to have a bee in his bonnet about how much HRT helps women.

I hope this might be of some help to anyone pondering over what to do.

flutterby

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2007, 07:36:21 PM »

Hi Hot2Trot
Do you know what survey it was, I was very pleased to hear these findings
Flutterby :)

newstart

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2007, 07:49:43 PM »

Hi H2T

Thanks for sharing that experience with us.

This is exactly the sort of information I have wondered about since I posted those links to the research into female doctors' use of HRT.

I saw another study which indicated that Gynaecologists and Obstetricians were more likely to take HRT/ encourage their wives to take it than doctors in general, and that doctors were more likely to take it than the general population.

I'm inclined to think that, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

Patricia

rik

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2007, 08:17:55 AM »

flutterby: you'll find info on the survey on the news page of this site, specifically -
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=52

Hot2Trot

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2007, 09:08:59 AM »

Thanks Rik.

Garnet

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »

Oh dear, I had talked myself into believing that my decision to come off HRT because of high blood pressure (160/100, previously 120/70) was the right one. I've been off it three weeks now and coping with the hot flushes but feeling quite down with not a lot of energy. I was on a low dose of Oestrogel but am now wondering whether I should try another one. Does anyone know if a different brand may make a difference?

Garnet

Hot2Trot

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »

With readings like that, you can't really risk it.  I can't remember whether your BP is controlled by medication or not.  Mine is, so I haven't crept back into the danger zone.  My own personal choice would be to start BP meds and continue with the HRT but you would need to discuss that with your doctor.  If you get benefit from the HRT, then you shouldn't be denied it if you can be supported by BP meds and are happy to take them as well.

sarah bird

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »

Garnet , you may find my posting in "New Members"... "Food and Menopause" helpful. This book has lots of relevant advice .

love Sarah b x
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:30:37 PM by sarah bird »

sarah bird

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2007, 02:54:39 PM »

Hi Ladies, as one of those who has decided against HRT for many reasons I'd be interested to know just how many of you really feel it has definately helped .

From what I can tell on here there are some who think its an absolute godsend, and some who seem to have to swap and change types and go through a lot of difficulties before arriving at one which DOES help. Then there are those who try it and give up and also those who have never used it.

I wonder, given what we all know are very fluctuating symptoms anyway, just how much of a "cure" HRT really is . The scientific establishment are always changing their  minds about the why's and wherefore's and of course the drug companies are going to wish we were all on it !

I have been absolutely desperate at times for something ,anything , to make all this misery stop and have been very tempted by HRT and now it doesn't seem worth it ....the end MUST be in sight surely but I do wonder if I've done the right thing.

Its good that we all make our own decision in the end but what are we basing that decision on ?

love to all , a curious Sarah b x

Hot2Trot

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2007, 03:21:16 PM »

I was two years post menopausal and not clear of symptoms. In particular, my sleep pattern was horrendous.  I couldn't cuddle up to my OH because I couldn't bear the heat generated from him and we had no marital relations.

Those are the things that changed for me when I fell onto HRT which I had always been opposed to, believing that my menopause was over and not thinking for one moment that what I was going through could be prevented and not really being an advocate of this unless absolutely essential.

My life has turned around on HRT.  I can sleep for six hours at night, sometimes longer.  I fall asleep being cuddled and now have a full marriage.  He was very patient and tolerant, but life is better now.  I no longer come home from work and go straight to bed either so I have more hours in the day and feel more in control of things around me.

Preparations do need time to get used to.  I could easily have given up because of the nausea I felt in the mornings.  This did go away, as the packet said it would, and I haven't looked back.  How I got lucky and was given the right preparation from day one, I don't know. I can only put it down to the skill and knowledge of my prescribing doctor.

sarah bird

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2007, 03:50:33 PM »

Thats really good news Hot2Trot , it must have been such a relief to find something that WORKED , glad you are feeling more like your "normal " self.

love Sarah b x

Garnet

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2007, 09:03:24 AM »

Hi Hot2trot
In reply to your question as to whether my BP is controlled with meds - the answer is no, but since coming off the HRT my BP is back to normal. However, I'm coping with the hot flushes and the only symptom is the tiredness which could be as the result of the Hysterectomy (TAH/BSO) 20 weeks ago- perhaps I'm expecting too much too soon??

Thanks Sarah B
I'll certainly go onto your post regarding food. I've been taking Menopace plus for the last 2 months which includes Isoflavines, mins & vits etc so it will be interesting to see if there is anything else I can take as well to help things.

Garnetx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 83