Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 818654 times)

Suzi Q

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #375 on: February 26, 2010, 06:08:46 AM »

Its great to hear some positive things about HRT
I came off the Ovestin in NOvember wasnt agreeing with me anymore
By mid Jan burning pain was so bad
Now Im on Vagifem and it seems to be working still not gone but eased
Thing is Ive noticed in the last week or so since being on Vagifem Im getting HOT FLUSHES
Go figure that one out cos I cant and they are HOT HOT HOT but only for a few mins then gone
Suzi Q

Bette

« Reply #376 on: February 26, 2010, 09:47:32 AM »

Me too but then, it seems, are all the doctors!
I'm 49 and started HRT six months ago. Been a life saver for me. When I asked my gp how long I could be on it, she said it would be worth reviewing after 5 years or so - maybe consider cutting it down to see how I got on. But if I felt much better on it than off, she's got ladies on it in their 70's and see's no problem with that. I've got a friend of 82 who's still on it - takes it alternate days, I think.
Bixby x

Elsie

« Reply #377 on: February 26, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »

Mmmmmm, well to answer the question "why have I come off it?".  Last year my doctor recommended that I think about it as I'd been on it for so long.  The risk of breast cancer never bothered me as Tibolone is pretty low in that one but the risk of stroke increases as one gets older and with Tibolone the risk of uterine cancer is a factor too.  My eldest daughter is a GP and she agrees with her, so that is two doctors I have to take note of.  If I wanted to I could re-start it, no money involved as I'm 60 in less than a week so prescriptions are free.  Another reason is most of my friends survived without it and are fine now so time will hopefully make me like them.  I just don't fancy having to come off it in later life as the hot flushes will probably still come again no matter what age I try, and I feel I can cope better at the age I am now.  I take regular exercise, cycling and walking, eat healthily and don't smoke.  I do like wine but don't find that brings the flushes on, it's mainly if I get too hot and having counted how many I'm having in a day, around 6/7, maybe a couple at night, it's not really so bad.  I just wanted to warn others that it's very rare for women to stop HRT and suffer nothing.  I do agree that HRT is really brilliant though and if it helps then go with the flow, it got me through a very rough menopause and has made me feel younger than I am, (don't feel any older yet though early days I guess). Thanks for your responses.   :)

ladyjane

« Reply #378 on: February 26, 2010, 04:35:19 PM »

I am 62 and did have a partial hysterectomy 10 years ago and have been on Evorel 0.25 patches ever since, my doctor is happy for me to stay on them for as long as I want to. I do tend  to leave the patch on for a week instead of changing it twice and it seems to work. I think some of the worries seem to be be with oral HRT but not so much with trans dermal methods  http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/02/26/hormone-safety.html

I think it is so sad when I read about Doctors who give time limits to hormone therapy, even when the woman is doing well, why do doctors have different ideas about prescribing HRT according to their own beliefs? HRT has many benefits for the body and not only for symptom relief. As a woman gets older she could cut
the dose down the  minimal , it only needs a tiny amount to keep eg bones and skin healthy.

ladyjane

Bette

« Reply #379 on: February 26, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »

I asked my gp why every doctor seems to have a different opinion and she said it's often to do with when they trained i.e. whether the current thinking was pro or anti HRT depending on the research at that time. She's aware of the fact that she's pro and tries very hard to be balanced and not "push it" on patients - I was already on it when I went to her and was just relieved to find someone who wasn't actually anti!
I get quite annoyed when I read about gps "forcing" women to come off it just because of a number i.e. age or no of years they've been on it. Surely we all deserve to be listened to and have gps who will work with us rather than dictate? What's that flying by? Oh yes, it's that pig again!
Bixby x

Elsie

« Reply #380 on: February 28, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »

I do agree with all that, but this is really my personal choice and if I am not happy a few months down the line then I'll see my GP and discuss the situation.  If I feel I want to she will put me back on some form of HRT, perhaps the patches would be the best alternative, I will have to wait and see.  It's really helpful being able to read what other people think and their experiences, I'm very glad I rejoined menopause matters at this time.  By the way I have now started taking Starflower oil as I read that it helps with metabolism and hormone regulation and on another forum some women were saying how they found it very helpful, so we shall have to see how that goes.  As I've only been taking it for less than a week it's early days yet, I will keep you posted. :)

Judy

« Reply #381 on: April 20, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »

Dr Currie, I want to thank you for this site, even at my  stage in life it has been  enlightening and a fantastic space for all those pent up thoughts and feeling!  I have been wondering whether to respond to your question, because I am almost a dinosaur compared to your other contributors, I think you might be interested in what happened to me.   I will be turning 73 this year and had a total surgical hyst.
when I was 51 years old, prescribed firstly I think, Premarin and then Trisequens and finally Estraderm MX 50, now nothing and I am paying the price.   The HRT did wonders for me I don't know how I would have coped without it, the Trisequens especially beneficial, improved mood swings enormously.   I am now having flushes day and night which seems odd at my age.  Stopped taking Estraderm in 2004.

Judy

niecsey

« Reply #382 on: May 01, 2010, 09:34:25 AM »

Hi girls thanks for posting your replies tot his thread!!! Theres lots to read and lve only read a few. Ive been giving Kliofem ( endo /hyster)  Anyone else on there? Gyny wants me to take them for a year due to my age lm 44 lm sure he said a year..... To cut along story shirt the plan was to save one of my ovaries but they couldnt... he knew l didnt want hrt my mam died breast cancer a few months ago... l am really wary about starting them but with common sense have to think of quality of life now rather than predicting my future. Anyone else on these hrts? I plan to start them next week really anxious about it thanks all xxx

Meggie

« Reply #383 on: May 15, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »

I have been using Oestrogen Gel which I smear on my arm each day.  Up to now I have been using half dose and I seem to be getting some hot flushes.  Are the flushes likely to stop altogether or is it necessary to use the full dose, on the Gynaecologists instructions of course, for this to happen?  Does anyone out there know the answer to this?

Meggie

Cazikins

« Reply #384 on: May 15, 2010, 11:24:56 PM »

Hi Meggie,
I was on Oestrogen gel for a while but after a few weeks I developed a rash  >:(.
Why are you using a half dose if your doctor has prescribed more???
Yes, I think you will still get hot flushes if you don't go with what your doctor suggests.
I think you need to take the full dose prescribed by your doctor before you can decide if it is right for you.

xx

Meggie

« Reply #385 on: May 16, 2010, 08:45:29 AM »

Hi Meggie,
...............Why are you using a half dose if your doctor has prescribed more???

Dr only prescribed half dose (one pump-action container lasts 3 months) as I have a fibroid in each breast and she wants to see whether the Oestrogen stimulates their growth.  I go for my echo-graphie on Thursday so we'll see what the outcome of that is.  I would prefer to have NO hot flushes but being down to c.5 a day from sometimes 25+ is a huge difference.

Meggie

jacquiellen

« Reply #386 on: May 19, 2010, 01:50:04 PM »

Hi,
I am new to the site, was looking around for information on the new pills I have to take Elleste Duet 1mg and came across this site.
I am 46, think I have been approaching menopause for some time but had the Merina coil which masked some of the symptoms, however I dont have that anymore and got hot flushes with a vengence so doc gave me the HRT. Does anyone else have or had heavy periods and does anyone who is taking HRT know if the breakthrough bleeding gets lighter the longer you take these pills? I have just taken one pack and got the withdrawal bleed which bought back my endometriosis and was not very light as I had hoped it would be ? Any help or advice please?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:54:38 PM by jacquiellen »

Taz2

« Reply #387 on: May 26, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »

Hi Jacquieallen - it seems as if your post has been missed! I am on HRT and the first three bleeds were heavy and painful but after that they settled down to light bleeding lasting around four days.

Would just like to welcome you to the forum - someone else will be along soon. You may like to post under New Members too so that others know you are here with us.

Taz x

veganbiker

« Reply #388 on: June 05, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »

HRT has been incredible. I am not happy taking any drugs as I'm a vegan and haven't done so for years but to be honest I think I would have topped myself if things had gone on as they were.

Lee

« Reply #389 on: June 21, 2010, 01:56:54 AM »

I relly wanted to take HRT. A friend told me it was the best thing ever. I read about the potential risks, but decided to go ahead as I have no maternal history of breast cancer. I tried a low dose patch and by day three was feeling my blood pressure skyrocketing. By the end of the day I felt as though I was about to explode. I ripped the patch off. It took about two days for the symptoms to abate. I won't try it again. Am very disappointed because I did have high hopes.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 83