Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 823026 times)

Bette

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #630 on: September 15, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »

Hi macky
 :welcomemm:
I'm with the others - find a new gp! I tried several and eventually changed surgery and am now with a sympathetic, HRT-savvy gp who is quite happy for me to stay on it as long as I need it to keep feeling good.
Which HRT are you on now? I had some spotting issues so my gp sent me for a scan for check things out but has never suggested that I need to come off it, only that my regime might need "tweaking."
Bette x

macky

« Reply #631 on: September 16, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »

Thank you for your replies...the pills I am on now are Premique which are not great as I still get night sweats and mild flushes and my hair is thinning again and my libido is flat. I was on Kliovance and was fine on that. I have checked out other surgeries in the area and am ready to change. My GP said that if I have more bleeding I am to stop taking the HRT so I am basically ignoring the spotting.I am happy to sign a disclaimer  if that is what it takes. There is no history in my family of heart problems and only one incident of cancer..my dad got a form of cancer from working with chemicals...I am a fit 59 year old who put on weight when I gave up smoking 5 years ago. Before that I was dreadfully underweight and now I am comfortable with how I am.My partner is an older dad so I have 2 stepsons aged 11 and 6 and really need to be able to cope better.

Bette

« Reply #632 on: September 16, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »

Why have you changed from Kliovance, macky? If it was suiting you and you had no spotting problems, I'd say that you might as well go back to it. I hate to say it but Premique is the cheapest HRT by far..... I hope that your gp wasn't just thinking about her budget.  ???  :(
There's lots of great info in the menu on the left - here's one quote:- Although some bleeding in the first 6 months of therapy is common, there should not be bleeding after that and the lining does not go through the stages of stimulation and then shedding as it does during a normal cycle and with sequential therapy. Personally, I wouldn't ignore the spotting if it goes on for too long. Hopefully you'll find a better gp who knows more about HRT who can help you sort out the best one for you.
If you feel like introducing yourself on "New Members", I'm sure that more will be along to welcome you. Newbies often get missed in the middle of existing threads.  :)
Bette x

macky

« Reply #633 on: September 16, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »

Yes I will do that thank you. It was my GP who changed my HRT without giving me any explanation why..I supposed it was financial.

Bette

« Reply #634 on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »

I'm sorry but she sounds awful, macky.  :( To change medication which is suiting a patient with no explanation or good reason - awful.  :'( The sooner you find a new gp the better, I'd say.
Bette x

Rowan

« Reply #635 on: October 09, 2012, 08:53:28 AM »

Talking about whether HRT is good or bad, this snippet seems to be encouraging

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3987021

macky

« Reply #636 on: October 12, 2012, 08:15:32 PM »

Well I have changed GP and I am going for an internal scan next week to find out why I am bleeding. My new GP has said I am to stay off HRT for 6 months during which time he has prescribed pills to combat the hot flushes but he is happy to px the HRT after that. I have been off the HRT for 2 weeks now and I do not know whether it is coincidental but I have felt like  I have flu since but I feel more at ease knowing I now have a GP who cares. Thank you for putting me right folks XX

Bette

« Reply #637 on: October 13, 2012, 07:33:20 AM »

Sounds like progress, macky. A good gp makes such a difference.  :)
I had a scan to check some unusual spotting but my gp was happy for me to stay on HRT while we found out what was going on. Scan was normal and spotting has since settled down; she always thought that it was probably just hormonal fluctuations and was obviously right. Hopefully your scan will be clear too and then you'll be able to discuss things with your gp; he may be happy for you to restart HRT straight away if that's what you want.
Let us know how things go,
Bette x

crazydaisy

« Reply #638 on: October 15, 2012, 08:27:01 AM »

Hi,
This is a positive update fot those just started HRT, I started HRT on wed and already feel so much better!
Joint and muscle aches are much improved also have much more energy, i feel as though i am being recharged? so this making me feel so much happier as i can get on with things.
I did not expect this to be so quick, i felt am improvement about 24hrs after putting on my 1st patch. I have also lost 4lb without changing my diet as well?
I am a bit wary about the pergesterone part when i come to it but hope that goes well too.
Had a bit of nausea on 1st day but other than that no side effects.
I hope it lasts and i am not being too hopefull?
I had a lovely wekend with my family and i cant remember the last time i felt this well. x

Bette

« Reply #639 on: October 15, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »

:congrats: crazydaisy
Bette x

charmian

« Reply #640 on: October 16, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »

I am really pleased to have found this site having been looking for advice from those who "know" what its like.  I haven't had a period for over 2 years and tried all the alternatives for hot sweats and sleepless nights - menopace, sage tablets, isoflavines, etc etc changing the diet by eating soya, flax seeds, etc.  Didn't have a lot of support from my doctor, so went to see another one at the same practice and she has been great and so I started HRT about two and half months ago after a lot a deliberation.  It has been great within 3 weeks no sweats and sleep, however in the last couple of weeks I have had painful breasts a bit like before a period or when you are pregnant, they either feel tender and quite full and very firm.  I am presuming this is because of adding hormones back into your system??  I have got an appointment with the doctor but would like to know has anyone else suffered with this, does it get better or continue?

Anne B

« Reply #641 on: October 16, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »

Hi Charmian
Glad you've had success with your HRT. I have been using it since February but just over 2 weeks ago increased my dose. My boobs are a bit larger and slightly tender so presume its due to more oestrogen. Hoping this settles down along with the flushing and chills!
Maybe some of the other ladies have some experience of this and can be more help than me.
Xx

Bette

« Reply #642 on: October 17, 2012, 07:22:13 AM »

Hi charmian
 :welcomemm:
Breast tenderness is quite common and may well settle. :boobs: I ratehr like the firm, full feeling!  ::)  Evening Primrose Oil and/or Starflower Oil can help - apparently it needs to contain at least 230GLA to be effective.
What HRT are you on? If it's a real problem, you might like to try a lower dose but obviously symptom control is the main thing!
You might like to introduce yourself on "New Members" as Newbies can get missed in the middle of existing threads and others will want to welcome you.  :)
Bette x

charmian

« Reply #643 on: October 17, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »

Hi Bette and Anne,
Thanks for your feedback.  I am on Kliovance (lowest dose I think).  Know why my breasts got so bad yesterday, I appear to have started a period this morning which is definitely not wanted!! It does say in the leaflet that bleeding may occur in the early months, and I will check when I see my doctor on Friday.

How do you get into "New Members" was looking yesterday and couldn't work it out.

The other problem I have had, and also experienced it when I was starting the menopause and my hormones were everywhere, is erratic effects of alcohol.  One evening you can drink and are fine, the next you are emotional, angry and behave abnormally.  The obvious answer is no alcohol or limit to 2 glasses, but very frightening what happens - has anyone else experienced this or am I just mental?

Anne B

« Reply #644 on: October 17, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »

Hi Carmian
Well the sore boobs explained!
There has been discussion before about the effects of alcohol and I think the general consensus was that many of us can't tolerate it the same as before.
I certainly can't. Don't touch it at all now but I'm sure by trial and error you will find a tolerable amount to have.

To get onto New Members if you click on the forum option on the left hand menu and there is a section General Discussions and within that an option for New Members.

Xx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 83