Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 821933 times)

emerald

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #615 on: August 25, 2012, 06:44:25 AM »

when I first went on hrt it didn't do too much to help symptoms and caused weight gain (though now I realize I probably didn't give it enough time to kick in), anyway, so I went off it and all hell broke lose - symptoms were 10 times worse, so then I went back on it and have stayed on it for several years (56-59 - meno came late for me - period did not stop for good until 58 - before that was erratic)

I am generally in favor of hrt as I see that I am doing much better than women my age who do not use hrt, however I wonder if the fact that the symptoms return usually much worse when ppl go off hrt is due to 1) that the body needs hrt or 2) that withdrawal from hrt is hell

if it is #2 I would be inclined to go off it now but wean off slowly
if it is #1 I would be inclined to stay on hrt for the rest of my life (I have heard doctors who are experts on hrt say "hormones are forever"  i.e. you stay on it as long as yr body needs it which could be the rest of your life.

but I am not sure if the withdrawal hell is due to #1 or #2
much appreciate yr thoughts!

Taz2

« Reply #616 on: August 25, 2012, 09:39:50 AM »

I've tried both ways and both outcomes were the same! At the moment the menopause clinic would like me to start withdrawal so that when I am 60 in 18 months time I will be off it altogether. However, after a few months on half a patch my symptoms were just as bad as when I first started HRT four years ago so, under guidance from my GP, I have returned to full patches. I also came off it cold turkey a couple of years ago and for around two months I was fine but by the end of the third month all symptoms were back and after six months I opted to go back onto it.

My GP advocates HRT for life but the menopause clinic (who have now signed me back over to my GP) are definitely of the opinion that after 60 women should not take HRT due to increasing risks.

Taz

emerald

« Reply #617 on: August 25, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »

Taz which patch are you on? at what dosage?

Taz2

« Reply #618 on: August 25, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »

I'm on Femseven Conti at the minute which is 50 microgrammes I think.

Taz

bramble

« Reply #619 on: August 26, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »

I decreased my HRT slowly over 5-6 months (had been on it for 5 years) and had no return of any symptoms. Now been 6 months since I stopped completely. Different for different folks I expect.
Bramble

Bette

« Reply #620 on: August 26, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »

I think that supports my theory, Bramble - that the withdrawal from HRT isn't a problem in itself if done slowly but if you need it longterm, you just do.  I agree with you stay on it as long as yr body needs it which could be the rest of your life Some of us need it forever, some of us don't. Eventually I plan to try weaning off but if I don't feel well I shall go back on it and probably stay on it forever. My HRT-savvy gp agrees with that plan.
Bette x
P.S. Great to hear that you're doing well without it, Bramble.  :congrats:

honeybun

« Reply #621 on: August 26, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »

My GP will also allow me to stay on HRT for as long as I need it which is great.

Actually I think I have made a few mistakes along the way with my HRT. I went onto a conti patch after the sequi was not working as well. I checked with Dr Currie and she said this was fine. To start with I had cramping and spotting so I started cutting my patches in half and this solved the spotting problem. I floated along not feeling too bad for a few months and then out of the blue (along with some family stress) my meno symptoms have returned. I have been having flushes and panic attacks, terrible anxiety. I went back to the full patch with no great difference.

I think I was in actual fact not as far into meno as I thought. I suspect my hormone levels are very low at the moment.
Now I wonder whether I should return to the GP for either a change of patch to see if that works better. or a stronger patch than I have at the moment.

I suppose I was a bit over optimistic thinking I could cut down so much and it is going to take while to get this under control again. My own stupid fault I know.....but I really need to get all this under better control again because at the moment I am struggling a bit.

Honeyb
x

Bette

« Reply #622 on: August 26, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »

When I casually mentioned to my gp that at some stage I'd need to try changing from  Femoston sequi 2mg to 1mg in order to prepare for changing to the conti version (which is only available in 1mg) she said "Oh you don't need to think about that for ages yet." I'm 52. I feel great on 2mg and certainly wouldn't consider trying a lower dose for now. I still get the occasional night sweat and sometimes feel as if symptoms are "hovering" if you know what I mean.  ???
How long have you been on the full patch again, Honeyb? When I changed HRT (because of my old one being discontinued) it was nearly 6 months before I felt that I was back to where I had been before.
Bette x

honeybun

« Reply #623 on: August 26, 2012, 07:19:58 PM »

I have only just managed the full patch for about three weeks now Bette....so its very early days and I do know I need to give it a chance.

Its the anxiety that bothers me the most. I hate the racing feeling in my tummy and the "get me out of here feeling". I did not have this pre HRT so I dont know whether the proper full patch of a stronger one will help.

I will be patient and wait and see before I rush into a change.

I am supposed to be university clothes shopping with my daughter this week and I am dreading it in case I get panicky. This is SO not me and I dont know where these feelings have come from. I hope to choose a quiet day because if things are quiet then I should be not too bad.
I have always been a "controlled" person so these feelings are out of my comfort zone and I dont know how to deal with them,

Honeyb
x

KS

« Reply #624 on: September 03, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »

I was going to post a question about HRT then I saw this thread. I'm a youthful and active 62 yr old who went through the menopause at  59. I have been having the most horrendous hot flushes and night sweats for about 9 years. I have no libido, a dry whatsit and the most awful mood swings which have been getting a lot worse recently. I have nothing in my life to complain about but feel permanently on edge, so much so that it is visible to other people.
I tried HRT patches a few years ago and while they helped considerably with other symptoms, I was spotting and bleeding all the time after the first few weeks. I then was prescribed tablets but they brought back my periods with a vengeance, such bad flooding I couldn't leave the house for 3 days. But when I had had periods before the menopause they had been trouble free so this was very unwelcome.
Does all HRT bring back periods as I certainly don't want them to start again?
Our doctor's surgery has been going through an upheaval and the current GP is a young Frenchman who I don't feel comfortable talking to so that's why I'm coming here for help and advice.

Bette

« Reply #625 on: September 03, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »

Hi KS
I've replied on your other thread.  ;)
Bette x

Ade

« Reply #626 on: September 07, 2012, 12:46:47 PM »

Hi Ade here, New to MM a few days ago.Im having all the meno symptoms for the last 5 years i think not sure how long seems forever. Was trying to get through it the natural way, didnt want to take hrt. I smoke and have other prob so didnt want more pills. The thing is i feel i couldnt go on like this the tiredness, depression,anxiety has got so bad.I started CLIMAGEST 1mg 3 days ago and its making me feel really ill. I feel really sick, headache even more tired (if thats possible) pains in tummy i dont know what to do. :'( Anyone else feel like this when they first started hrt? Will it pass?Any advice would be great!!! :-*

macky

« Reply #627 on: September 15, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »

I have been taking HRT on and off for 8 years. My GP hates me taking it even though there is no medical reason why I should not and without it my life is absolutely awful. 2 years ago I  met my partner after being alone for 12 years and more so now I need to feel human and womanly. My GP is now saying I can only have HRT for another few months and the prospect of all those dreadful symptoms is making me ill.I was recently changed to a different HRT and since then I have had intermittent spotting (more nagging from my GP)As far as I am concerned my quality of life is vital  and if there was a health reason for stopping HRT I would accept that but as it is I am being ruled by a young female doctor.

limpy

« Reply #628 on: September 15, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »

Why does she want you to stop HRT -what are her reasons? Ask her for the source of her information.

Or, are there any other GPs available? It might be worth speaking to somebody else, just to get a second opinion. If nothing else, there might be someone who is easier to communicate with.

emerald

« Reply #629 on: September 15, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »

Macky,  I would definitely find another GP, or gyn,  or whatever dr. can help you.  It sounds like your GP is way off base and not tuned into your needs.  You don't need a dr. like that.  You need someone who understands and supports you.  I wouldn't wait.  She said all you have is a few months?  find another dr. asap.  You said your life was awful without hrt.  you already know this.  Best of luck to you.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 83