Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: ablation and oestrogen only hrt  (Read 369 times)

lorrainebarton

• First Flush
ablation and oestrogen only hrt
« on: May 26, 2024, 03:19:56 PM »

hello, I am wondering if there are any other women who have had an ablation and are sensitive to progesterone and have been allowed to take oestrogen only and have regular ultra-sounds to keep an eye on the lining of the womb? I have tried all kinds of hrt and nothing has suited, my doctor thinks I am progesterone sensitive so I was referred to a gyny and came off hrt. Having waited several months for an appointment suffering from insomnia, fatigue, bloating, weight gain, multiple hot flushes and migraines, I finally got to see him, he thought I was more likely to be sensitive to hrt as a whole. To rule this out I suggested oestrogen only with ultra-sound, before he would agree to this he asked that I get some advice first. please can anyone tell me that this is know option as I am close to giving up completely. thank you, Lorraine

Mary G

Re: ablation and oestrogen only hrt
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 10:57:11 AM »

I think it's possible to use a low dose oestrogen only patch (Menostar) without any progesterone under supervision but I doubt that NHS would agree to it.  However, this is for post menopausal women and would not be suitable for a younger person with severe menopause symptoms.

If you have had an ablation, you would be able to get away with a lower dose of progesterone with regular scans.  This is off the record and I doubt the NHS would agree to monitor you but a private doctor would. Another option is to take progesterone every three months.

Sorry for all the questions but have you actually had the ablation? Is this doctor private?  What types of progesterone have you tried?  Are you post menopause?

merrygoround

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 03:08:38 PM »

I asked my GP if I could have an ablation and then oestrogen only HRT last year. She said she didn't know but it would need to be done by the HRT clinic so she has referred me to them.
Whenever I get my appointment, I hope they will give it a go, but they could just as easily say no.

I am completely intolerant to progesterone. My GP didn't believe me, put me on it without me knowing, hidden away inside Evorel Conti.

She told me progesterone intolerance doesn't happen with HRT. It was awful.

Anyway, I'm on tibolone now and even if I get my appointment and they say yes, by then I might say no because I really feel great on tibolone.

Have you tried tibolone? It was suggested for me by the pharmacist, GPs don't seem to know about it, it's for progesterone intolerant women, prescription only so you still ask your GP and she'll probably look it up!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 03:30:35 PM by merrygoround »

lorrainebarton

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 05:55:16 PM »

thank you for the responses, in reply to the questions, I had an ablation about five years ago because of painful, heavy periods, I have not had a period since so it is difficult to know what stage of menopause I am at. I have tried combi-patches and tablets for progesterone, this is all I was offered apart from the merina coil which I have had in the past and did not like.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 11:32:07 AM »

A Mirena coil sounds like a really bad idea of you have had an ablation because it's likely to cause irritation and infections, particularly as you will have virtually no womb lining.

You could trying using vaginal Utrogestan a couple of times a week.  That should be OK dose wise if you have had an ablation and you can get it easily it on the NHS.