Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can’t sleep on utrogestan??  (Read 1169 times)

Cheryl53!!!!

Can’t sleep on utrogestan??
« on: May 26, 2024, 01:56:47 PM »

I can’t seem to sleep on this stuff did anybody else take it and it got better? I’m only on 3rd day? I feel nice and sleepy but just can’t sleep!!

sheila99

Re: Can’t sleep on utrogestan??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 04:15:56 PM »

It hasn't got better for me (5+ years). I take it in the morning now so it's worn off a bit by night. Not perfect but tolerable.

Cheryl53!!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 04:29:06 PM »

It hasn't got better for me (5+ years). I take it in the morning now so it's worn off a bit by night. Not perfect but tolerable.
So did it wire you too? I felt so calm and peaceful but couldn’t sleep but then again my sleep as been crippling. At wits end with it all now I’ll end up in a mental asylum!!

joziel

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 05:09:23 PM »

When this has happened for me, it has been low or fluctuating estrogen. I know exactly what you mean about being tired but unable to sleep.

I'm now on 11 pumps of Oestrogel to get between 450-600pmol. IMO many women are not on enough estrogen to fix these neurological symptoms. Most HRT is designed to give the minimal amount needed to fix most symptoms, which is around 250-350pmol. Unfortunately those of us with these neuro symptoms often need more to get to 450-600pmol - some need even more (no idea why, they need to do more research).

But really rather than thinking about utrogestan, I'd be thinking about your estrogen dose....

Banjo1973

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 06:06:08 PM »

Utro makes me wired too.

I've always been jealous of people who talk about a sedative effect.

Sleep was slightly improved when I tried it vaginally- but that caused irritation so wasn't a solution for me

I did look into getting a different type of progesterone which could be taken rectally.

Apparently some ivf patients take utro rectally, I was so desperate while waiting for meno appointment I tried taking utro rectally (this is not medically approved)

Well, its been 4 months or so and for some strange reason, it does make me sleepy and I have vivid dreams.

I finally have my meno appointment tomorrow, I'll ask if she'll prescribe cyclogest, if not ill continue with rectal utro and get scans every year.

Good luck x

Katherine

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2024, 09:36:48 AM »

Sorry to hear this, I’m feeling like that right now. I find utrogestan greatly improved my sleep quality but doesn’t help me get to sleep. I take it right before bed. If I take it a couple of hours before bed or earlier it stops me going to sleep. If I take it vaginally I get no sleep benefits at all. It really takes some figuring out what works and it seems to be different for everyone. If you are suffering please see your gp x

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2024, 12:10:30 PM »

So did it wire you too? I felt so calm and peaceful but couldn’t sleep but then again my sleep as been crippling. At wits end with it all now I’ll end up in a mental asylum!!
The opposite. I'm dopey all day but can't sleep at night. Just to complicate things feeling wired can be from too much oestrogen too. If you don't already keep a diary it might be worth doing so.

merrygoround

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2024, 01:02:42 PM »

I can’t seem to sleep on this stuff did anybody else take it and it got better? I’m only on 3rd day? I feel nice and sleepy but just can’t sleep!!
Is it getting any better?
I was wired on utrogestan whatever way I took it, I got 3 or 4 hours a night of broken sleep taking that stuff, plus awful indigestion pains.
Slept better from about two days after stopping it.

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2024, 03:26:20 PM »

Just to chip in i restarted hrt in march. I started utrogestan orally at night. I can sleep great for about 10 days straight then i start feeling wired and cant sleep for days on end.  Has got me thinking its from the utrogestan cant be the gel as im only on one pump of gel.

Merrygoround you say youve stopped the utrogestan are you off hrt now

Katherine

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2024, 03:50:57 PM »

Just to chip in i restarted hrt in march. I started utrogestan orally at night. I can sleep great for about 10 days straight then i start feeling wired and cant sleep for days on end.  Has got me thinking its from the utrogestan cant be the gel as im only on one pump of gel.

Merrygoround you say youve stopped the utrogestan are you off hrt now

I think maybe utrogestan builds up in the system. You can have a 3 day break every month apparently. I might try that. It's a shame they don't make 50mg and 25mg capsules so we can tweak the dose depending on symptoms. But then maybe it wouldn't be enough to protect the womb..

discogirl

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2024, 04:14:47 PM »

hi Katherine

Yes i thought utrogestan builds up.  I seem to be fine then wham. I wonder if the 3 day break might reset the receptors or something. This is what led me to change to cyclogest but that obviously didnt work

i fancy trying the 3 day break but i wonder being post meno and on continous hrt if it would be ok x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2024, 05:05:05 PM »

My meno doctor told me to have 3 days off utrogestion every month. ( I started it January)
She told me ‘it resets everything’ .
I find by the end of the month, my mood gets flat and I’m more emotional. So I think this is a build up.
I did ask if I’d bleed within the 3 days I’m off it, but she said no, you shouldn’t. And I havnt. 💁🏼‍♀️

discogirl

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2024, 05:42:49 PM »

hi jillydoll

well my sleep seems to be ok for a bit then it goes back to being crap so im willing to try it.

Katherine

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2024, 07:26:08 PM »

hi Katherine

Yes i thought utrogestan builds up.  I seem to be fine then wham. I wonder if the 3 day break might reset the receptors or something. This is what led me to change to cyclogest but that obviously didnt work

i fancy trying the 3 day break but i wonder being post meno and on continous hrt if it would be ok x

Hi Discogirl,

I’m not sure what the regimen for post meno is. I’m still peri. I would ask your gp. It might say on the leaflet x

joziel

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2024, 10:18:09 PM »

It is fine to take the 3 day break post-meno. It is the 'old' continuous protocol. It might cause bleeding in some women (very light) but also might not.
Pages: [1] 2