Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT for a year and bleeding  (Read 381 times)

Bluenose

HRT for a year and bleeding
« on: May 26, 2024, 08:56:42 AM »

Hi i'm 57 and had no periods for at least 8 years, i've been on HRT for over a year switching from patches to 2 pumps of
the gel and a tablet at night for around 10 months ago with no issues, i've started to spot blood which is dark in colour and just wondered if anyone has had it happen to them or if i should be concerned, have mild period type pain too ☹️

thanks for reading

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT for a year and bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 09:00:13 AM »

Morning.  May well be hormonal input causing a break through bleed.  MayB put the product names on here and perhaps see if there is any info in the leaflet in the box.

Hopefully some1 will then comment on your regime with advice.  How big is the 'spotting'?

Bluenose

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 09:18:57 AM »

it's nothing major just mainly when i'm wiping after a wee, i'm taking Utrogestan 100 mg capsules and 2 pumps of Orstrogel a day which i've been on 2 pumps for over 6 months started off on 1 pump

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 09:35:05 AM »

Could it be vaginal atrophy? Are you dry down there? If not, then you probably need to get checked out just to be cautious. I'm reading right that you have been on the same regime for 10 months, no recent changes at all or missed doses etc?

Bluenose

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2024, 10:16:58 AM »

Hi no changes no and it isn't dry now that's mainly what i went on HRT for, we don't have a sex life as we have 2 cockapoos 🤣 so it's only when we are on holiday ☺️ so that's the only thing that's different as we had sex but that was a week ago and no blood afterwards

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2024, 10:23:04 AM »

Hi no changes no and it isn't dry now that's mainly what i went on HRT for, we don't have a sex life as we have 2 cockapoos 🤣 so it's only when we are on holiday ☺️ so that's the only thing that's different as we had sex but that was a week ago and no blood afterwards

So there was no spotting say within 24 hours of having sex?

Bluenose

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 10:49:20 AM »

No this is a week later, feels just like mild period pain too

merrygoround

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 11:35:35 AM »

Unusual bleeding is by far the most common complaint in HRT, I'm post menopausal by 3+ years and I bleed on HRT when I'm not meant to every single month!

I was told any bleeding within six months of a change in HRT is expected, any unscheduled bleeding after that time should be investigated and they recommend you ask your GP to refer you for a scan to look at the lining.

Some areas will do it within a couple of weeks, other NHS regions will keep you waiting months, it's all about where you live.

Our health trust hasn't been able to employ a gynaecologist since the last one went back to the EU (she was lovely) so I had to be referred to a neighbouring health trust.
My friend who works as a nurse in our local hospital told me that one gynaecologist covers five health trusts with her menopause/HRT clinic. It's incredibly stretched.

If I was doing it again I'd phone ultrasound direct and pay about £145 for a scan done some evening, much sooner.
The NHS gynaecologist I mentioned does her own private clinic as well, many only work part time for the NHS now and moonlight for a bit more money. She was £300 to be seen sooner.

I had started bleeding a few weeks after starting HRT, was told to wait for the six months to pass, then on the seventh month they put me on the waiting list which was 8 months long, so I was scanned in just over a year and all was good.
I hadn't known I'd wait so long.

The bleeding continues...

Bluenose

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 01:04:20 PM »

thank you so much for your reply, this is day 2 so i will see how it goes in the next few days and maybe reduce back to 1 pump, getting a GP appointment is near on impossible but that will be my next step, if i can't get one then i will phone the nearest private hospital and book to see a gynaecologist that way, i'm
worrying now as i had a really difficult birth with my 2nd child as i have adhesions and my womb had stuck to my bladder so i'm terrified of needing any further surgery, i couldn't have more children so i wish they'd just taken it out 😔