Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice Please, Oestrogen - patch or gel?  (Read 697 times)

Wren

Advice Please, Oestrogen - patch or gel?
« on: May 16, 2024, 08:16:25 PM »

Following 2 attempts on Estraderm 50 patch + Utrogestan 100 orally over the last 2 years, resulting in bleeding and 2 hysteroscopies, I've got the Mirena Coil.
I was going to ask for the Estradot patch, 25 to start and if ok increase to 50 after 3 months.  But I'm hesitating now - should I try the gel.  Any thoughts/advice please.
I'm 60 now and post-menopause 15 years+.

Arya Underfoot

Re: Advice Please, Oestrogen - patch or gel?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 01:58:53 AM »

Hi Wren

There really isn't much difference between Estraderm and Estradot, other than the size. The gel is an option if you want more control over your dose, however it is an immediate release of oestrogen every time you apply it, in small doses it's fine but once you start taking a higher dose you may get increased anxiety and moodiness, at least that's what I experienced. There's so many variables with HRT, with some working for some people but others struggle (like me). Keep trying until you find something that works, with the least side effects so you can carry on with you normal life.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 05:30:16 AM »

It’s really a case of which one suits you. One isn’t better than the other. I’ve been on gel for 6 years and it’s been brilliant.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 09:15:08 AM »

It's really just personal preference. I find patches easier but others prefer gel.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 11:23:55 AM »

I would definitely recommend the gel, particularly with a Mirena coil because it gives you maximum dose flexibility.

I found the patches were far too weak with the Mirena and I had breakthrough symptoms.  I often found they didn't stick very well and left a rash.  I didn't like having the wear the patch either.

Wren

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 01:54:41 PM »

I've gone with the patches I had before. At low dose to start.  At least I know I was ok with the adhesives on those.
Can always think again later when I feel more confident about it all.
Will see how I get on. 
Thank you all for your advice.