Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Slynd  (Read 773 times)

karab

Slynd
« on: May 15, 2024, 08:14:13 PM »

Are others in perimenopause taking Slynd, (especially combined with some form of estrogen)?  Has it been helpful? 

After having two periods monthly and lots of bloating on continuous combined hrt in perimenopause (46 years old, .1125 estradiol patch, 200 mg progesterone nightly, small dose of testosterone cream), my doctor is recommending I change from micronized progesterone to Slynd (drospirenone) while continuing my estradiol patch.  I have my pill pack and am ready to start, but am feeling concerned after reading reports of problems. Those reports may all be from pre-menopause people, though.  Since synthetic progesterones seemed more associated with cancer in many of the hrt studies I read, I was really trying to stick with micronized progesterone, but it's just not working well, although I feel it is helping with sleep.  Sleep was my biggest perimenopause issue.  I was put on high dose hrt due to severe sleep disturbances, significant brain fog, hair loss, and really low energy.  I also had heart palpitations, shortened cycles, and weight gain that didn't respond to exercise or diet.

Appreciate any experiences with Slynd others are willing to share.

Warmly,

Kara

« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 08:25:39 PM by karab »

CrispyChick

Re: Slynd
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 08:55:38 AM »

Hi.

There's a chat in the new members thread titled slynd. A couple of ladies taking it.

Did you switch to it? X

karab

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 10:22:30 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  Yes, I began it, 1 week in now.  So far it's great.  I lost 5 pounds of water in the first two days, and I feel better.

Kara

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 08:00:09 AM »

Do read the current thread.  Make notes ;-)

NightNurse

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 02:13:52 PM »

Slynd is drospirenone marketed as a progestogen-only contraceptive pill. Drospirenone is also used with an eostrogen in a combined pill (Yasmin and similar).

I can't find any reference to it in the BMS guideline about endometrial protection with HRT:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/20533691211058030

Is there evidence elsewhere it will protect the endometrium with HRT? Is this a new thing???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 02:21:12 PM »

MayB read the current thread on this product.

NightNurse

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 02:31:12 PM »

Thank you! :)

CrispyChick

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 04:42:55 PM »

Yes. I believe it's a new thing. The latest BMS guidelines refer to it. It's kind of like an after thought on them. Like, if nothing else has worked.