Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cyclic bleeding, abdominal pain and qFIT positive, what's it all mean?  (Read 520 times)

merrygoround

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the qFIT bowel cancer test is affected by menstrual bleeding?

I was bleeding when they gave me the qFIT but nothing was in the instructions about timing it with bleeding, it was to be done ASAP, so I didn't think to ask or wait. I use a menstrual cup and I don't think any blood could have directly contacted the sample, I showered first and was very careful to do it all correctly. However that doesn't mean there couldn't be a correlation where the bowel also will slightly bleed at that time? After all they have no clue why my uterus still sheds every month, so how would they know in the bowel?

I'm in my fourth year post menopause but as I take a kind of HRT (tibolone) I bleed each month for five days in a cyclic way. This was scanned and declared normal so I was able to resume tibolone after that 4 month wait for tests during which time I was given hrt patches instead.

The HRT patches didn't really do anything, but tibolone helps a lot so I was relieved I'm allowed to have these bleeds on it, but since stopping and starting again I've had constant abdominal pain. It let up for a week or two in March, but other than that it's been constant since December.

I wanted pain relief, I was refused. However I kept pestering the GP until I had blood tests and a qFIT test in April. I'm basically housebound with pain around half the time for which my GP suggested paracetamol. When I disagreed, she said I could buy 8mg cocodamol at the pharmacy, brick walled again.

Anyway my qFIT had nine times the upper limit of trace blood so I was red flagged and I'm booked for a colonoscopy in June.

Is there any chance it was because I was bleeding anyway? When I have menstrual bleeding I get other bleeding as well, like bleeding gums when I brush my teeth occurs much more during menstruation, but hasn't happened for a while now despite menstruation.

So taking a poo sample when my body is bleeding got a positive result for blood, maybe some cells in the intestine menstruate as well, lol, I know that sounds silly, but think a bit deeper about it and the added fragility of blood vessels at that time could easily affect a result.

Is this a test primarily designed for/by men which simply doesn't take menstruation into account?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Morning.   Do U have the contact for qFIT testing unit, so you could contact them directly?   There has never been any information regarding periods when I do my tests - a small amount of fresh poo onto a slide, into the envelope and posted.

R U able to explain the pains you are experiencing?  My periods were excruciating !

Booroo

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the qFIT bowel cancer test is affected by menstrual bleeding?

I was bleeding when they gave me the qFIT but nothing was in the instructions about timing it with bleeding, it was to be done ASAP, so I didn't think to ask or wait. I use a menstrual cup and I don't think any blood could have directly contacted the sample, I showered first and was very careful to do it all correctly. However that doesn't mean there couldn't be a correlation where the bowel also will slightly bleed at that time? After all they have no clue why my uterus still sheds every month, so how would they know in the bowel?

I'm in my fourth year post menopause but as I take a kind of HRT (tibolone) I bleed each month for five days in a cyclic way. This was scanned and declared normal so I was able to resume tibolone after that 4 month wait for tests during which time I was given hrt patches instead.

The HRT patches didn't really do anything, but tibolone helps a lot so I was relieved I'm allowed to have these bleeds on it, but since stopping and starting again I've had constant abdominal pain. It let up for a week or two in March, but other than that it's been constant since December.

I wanted pain relief, I was refused. However I kept pestering the GP until I had blood tests and a qFIT test in April. I'm basically housebound with pain around half the time for which my GP suggested paracetamol. When I disagreed, she said I could buy 8mg cocodamol at the pharmacy, brick walled again.

Anyway my qFIT had nine times the upper limit of trace blood so I was red flagged and I'm booked for a colonoscopy in June.

Is there any chance it was because I was bleeding anyway? When I have menstrual bleeding I get other bleeding as well, like bleeding gums when I brush my teeth occurs much more during menstruation, but hasn't happened for a while now despite menstruation.

So taking a poo sample when my body is bleeding got a positive result for blood, maybe some cells in the intestine menstruate as well, lol, I know that sounds silly, but think a bit deeper about it and the added fragility of blood vessels at that time could easily affect a result.

Is this a test primarily designed for/by men which simply doesn't take menstruation into account?

I had qfit tests and was told to leave about a week or so after bleed or mid cycle to b sure

Mary G

The FIT kits that you can buy in pharmacies state that you should never provide a sample during a period which would suggest it does affect the result.

Perhaps you could buy a FIT kit in a pharmacy and retake the test when not bleeding and see how that comes out.

merrygoround

It sounds like the advice is to avoid bleeding times, but that could be theoretical and not based on real test results.
I clearly saw blood in my poo yesterday, I'm weeks past my bleed now, so that answered my own question really, I wasn't sure before if I could see blood or not.
When I googled for more info I got all sorts of contradictory answers, some said the test's specific for blood that has been digested a bit so won't be confused with external blood, which tends to be what is visible.

It's still four weeks until my red flag colonoscopy which was booked under the 2 week wait initiative.
Unless they cancel.
Last year I was also red flagged, I waited March to August, then they cancelled my August appointment and gave me another five week wait...
Time will keep moving until I'm seen, but waiting times are still increasing with this mindless defunding of services.

shrosphirelass

Thinking about you merrygoround. The waiting is awful and if you're anything like me despite yourself you start to over think things. All I can say is try to keep busy. Have you tried ringing regularly to see if there are any cancellations / new clinics put on.

Kathleen

Hello merrygoround

I understand that the FIT test is designed to look for occult blood, in other words hidden blood that can't be seen by the naked eye.

Could the blood you have seen be from haemorrhoids?  A colonoscopy is the best investigation to have and although it's a long wait at least you will have all the answers after your appointment.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

It may also be a small tear in the back passage, enough to show a streak of blood.  I would be more concerned if my poo was 'full' of red and feel more worried if the blood was dark or black.  What annoys me about our current health system is the continual postponements of appts..  Which means there are now long waiting lists in the private sectors due to patients moving over.

Have U altered your diet at all?   Have U lifted anything heavier than usual?  Yesterday I had stabbing abdominal pain intermittently, have 2 keep reminding myself that I lifted a heavy bag of compost!

merrygoround

Thinking about you merrygoround. The waiting is awful and if you're anything like me despite yourself you start to over think things. All I can say is try to keep busy. Have you tried ringing regularly to see if there are any cancellations / new clinics put on.
Thank you. As the weeks go on I'm getting more stressed, no doubt about it. On top of the waiting list I'm worried about possible strike action, the news reported that red flag appointments were postponed for weeks because of last year's strikes (which I fully support), now they are deciding new strike dates for June. The hospital consultants on the news said it's for the long term health of us all, the postcode lottery type policies are leaving whole communities without the statutory minimum standard of care. I trust them to a point and of course I understand the greater good argument, but it's still tough as a repeat red flag patient.
I've got the appointment letters, but not the lax pack yet. As there is a three day preparation beforehand they won't consider me for the cancellation list until I have the pack, which only they can decide to send...
Hello merrygoround

I understand that the FIT test is designed to look for occult blood, in other words hidden blood that can't be seen by the naked eye.

Could the blood you have seen be from haemorrhoids?  A colonoscopy is the best investigation to have and although it's a long wait at least you will have all the answers after your appointment.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.
Thanks, I googled about the 90 micrograms per something or other in the qFIT being for traces too small to see. I meant if I see red blood from my digestive tract then it wouldn't really matter whether I've blood in the nearby vagina as well.

I've been red flagged three times in the last three years, each time it's been ok, no answers, just "it's not cancer, go home now" but it doesn't make the waiting any easier, or help with the constant abdominal pain I live with.

They seem to be ruling things out at a rate of one a year, do they ever get around to ruling things in or relieving the pain?

merrygoround

Where did the rest of this thread go?

I find it very underhand the way posts are deleted with no notification, this can change the meaning of things, then all points of view align with one person, whoever that may be.

I got my lax pack, yay, so on Monday I'll ask to go on the cancellation list.

It's nerve racking having to wait, not knowing if they'll strike and cancel.

I don't remember the exact strike days for June, but I know my scheduled date isn't one of them.

I hope they don't cancel on me, last year I was red flag for postmeno bleeding, they cancelled, gave me a new date 5 weeks later, then cancelled that one as well :'(