Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Probiotics  (Read 1321 times)

VioletAquarius

Probiotics
« on: May 12, 2024, 10:16:26 PM »

Can any one recommend a good probiotic please?

And can anyone advice how long to take them for?

Also, any advice, info, etc, on them would be great.

Thank you

Suziemc

Re: Probiotics
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 06:13:59 AM »

The Zoe Study had a lot of great info on probiotics and gut health in general. All scientifically based info rather than published by a company pushing their own products. I find their blogs and podcasts really interesting and helpful.

Blog here: https://zoe.com/learn/category/gut-health/probiotics

Suzie

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 11:32:49 AM »

I use NU U Bio-Cultures Complex. They suit me very well and I intend to be on them for the long term.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 12:56:50 PM »

Ayesha,can I ask what differences do you feel with them?

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 06:50:59 PM »

It was when I started to take PPI's my stomach seemed to be upset most of the time with frequent diarrhoea which is one of the side effects. My husband had always taken a probiotic because of IBS and I decided to do the same and straight away I felt much better and visits to the loo less frequent.
It seems to be a case of getting the right one to suit, my husband ordered a different probiotic without telling me, it was cheaper, and straight away I knew something wasn't right as the next morning the diarrhoea was back.
I have got the balance right and won't be changing products and will be on them for life, one of the good things to take as we age I believe.

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 10:44:46 AM »

Thanks Ayesha,I've just ordered some of the Nu U ones,see if they help ❣️

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 11:25:02 AM »

I hope they do, Jaypo, let us know how you get on with them  :)

Ms Jacks

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 08:07:26 PM »

Hi

I use Optibac probiotics as recommended by a register dietician. I started them after a hospital admission for diverticulitis ( first episode- none since at 16 months ago)..... brought online the can be pricey but I wouldn't be without them.

Ms Peaks

VioletAquarius

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 08:54:26 PM »

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the link suziemc, on a quick look it looks really good, will have a good read of it.

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2024, 06:52:49 AM »

Will do Ayesha  :)

Ms Jacks,that's what I'm hoping they'll help with partly is diverticulitis,so it's good to hear they've helped you.
 Sorry violet,didn't mean to hijack the thread,hope they help you too
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 10:32:27 AM by jaypo »

Ms Jacks

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2024, 08:51:04 AM »

Hi Jaypo

They are amazing- not a flare up at all.

Well worth the costs

Ms Jacks xx

fiftyplus

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 04:29:27 PM »

Mrs Jacks - which ones do you get - for woman, normal or extra?

VioletAquarius

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2024, 08:38:51 PM »

Sorry violet,didn't mean to hijack the thread,hope they help you too

You don't need to apologise, it's absolutely fine, I'm more than happy for you, or anyone, to ask their own questions on any of my threads.

I'm wondering whether to take them and see if it helps with my pot belly, in case it's to do with gut health. And I started with urge incontinence after a course of antibiotics, so wondered if probiotics would help that too.

I feel they probably won't help, but thought to give it a try, and if they don't improve at least I've tried and won't keep wondering  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 08:40:44 PM by VioletAquarius »

chopsuey

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2024, 02:41:29 PM »

Antibiotics can certainly mess up the good bacteria in your gut, leading to all sorts of problems.

I would also recommend the  Optibac range, they seem to have more research behind them than some makes and include a range of different bacteria in decent quantities. I take the Women's one, my partner takes the Everyday ones. He found the Extra ones too strong but everyones gut is different - the company have a good helpline if you want advice. You can often get good offers if you shop around online. They are expensive but you get what you pay for sometimes.

If you eat dairy, have you considered kefir as an alternative? Biotiful is a good brand in my opinion, with less sugar than some.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 02:44:07 PM by chopsuey »

VioletAquarius

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2024, 08:53:10 PM »

Thank you.

I will look at those ones as well.

I've been reading up a bit more and a little worried about the side effects, so still thinking what to do. 

But also worried whether they may change my bowel movements, or whether they may give me problems that I don't suffer with, ie diarrhoea, constipation, etc, but can't find any info 🤔
Pages: [1] 2