Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post menopausal bleeding 19mm endometrium  (Read 782 times)

Tina D.

• First Flush
Post menopausal bleeding 19mm endometrium
« on: May 09, 2024, 05:38:54 PM »

I started having post menopausal bleeding about 8 months ago. I bled 3 times. Two times was light and went away. I didn't know about bleeding after menopause and the urgency to get checked.

Then for about the entire month of December 2023, I had to wear pads for the bleeding. I then made an appointment with my general practioner. She referred me to GYN. I seen a nurse practitioner, finally, mid April. The transvaginal ultrasound showed endometrial thickness of 19mm. She tried to do an endometrial biopsy in office, but my cervix were closed. The NP then had me see their GYN doctor, who I seen May 2nd. He ordered a hysteroscopy with d&c under general anesthesia, but that won't be done until June 17.

I'm so scared it will be cancer. I try to keep telling myself it's more likely not cancer, but the anxiety won't go away.

Just looking for what others experienced, to learn, and for support.

MrsMitch

Re: Post menopausal bleeding 19mm endometrium
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 06:24:21 PM »

Hello Tina. Lots of us on here have had the same as you, myself included. There is a lot of anxiety, naturally, because now a days it seems the first thing the medical profession tells you us that they are looking for cancer. But in actual fact, most times it turns out not to be and that could be the likelihood for you too. There are so many reasons why there is bleeding and most of them is nothing serious, but it's good you are booked in for it to be looked at. Having a GA is nice too, I had one!
I learned from my meno consultant the other day that high doses of oestrogen (Which I am on) will cause bleeding.  Not enough progesterone can also cause it. I believe that fibroid may cause it and I've heard of people having them and yet they didn't show on the original scan. And there's more harmless reasons too.
So have a good read here and see what you can find out about causes of bleeding. There is a huge amount of 1st hand experience here. Incidentally,  the results of my hysteroscopy were fine and there was no reason for the bleeding as I wasn't then on the high dose of oestrogen I'm on now. So that could be you soon, too.
If you can, try to concentrate on the fact that the vast majority of times it ISN'T cancer. Try not to let your mind concentrate on your worries and replace those worries with something else - whatever brings you happiness,  if you can.
I know someone else who has been in your position will be along soon to offer more advice.

Northerngirl

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 07:48:33 PM »

Hi Tina D, I too had a thickened womb lining ,mine was 8mm, which was found in December 2023. I also had bleeding ,which after 12 years was a massive shock. I like you had a failed pipelle biopsy due to a closed cervix and was advised to have hysteroscopy/biopsy under general anaesthetic. I then had to wait 6 weeks for an urgent referral to have the hysteroscopy/biopsy. I was told by my GP that I either had cancer or hyperplasia which made me extremely anxious and emotional.....it turned out neither of his diagnoses were correct and I'd worried myself silly for nothing.

It is completely understandable that you're worried and anxious at this time but like Mrs Mitch said there are plenty of us on here that have been through this and are here for you. The ladies on here helped me get through that tough time and I don't think I'd have got through it without them.

You haven't said if you're on HRT or not ??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 08:46:05 PM »

Well done on getting yourself the appt to check this out.  In your situation I would opt for a light anaesthetic so that I am completely relaxed, there's enough in your head with any worry!

If it's anything untoward, i.e. cancer, you are in the process of 'catching it early'.  In the mean time do make a list of your worries to take to the next appt., mayB have some1 with you who can listen and ask questions.  I think that should the Consultant be worried then the appt would be earlier than 17 June, which isn't actually that long to wait in terms of days.  When we are concerned, every day seems long  ::)

Let us know how you get on!

Tina D.

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 01:55:17 AM »

Thanks ladies for responding!

I'm not, nor have I ever been on HRT.

From what I've read so far, it appears to be Endometrial hyperplasia. I will definitely find out for certain after the hysteroscopy with d&c. The nurse practitioner was concerned that my endometrium was so thick without being on HRTs and being over 4 years post menopause.  Though, it's definitely reassuring to know that cancer is rare.

I agree that the doctor must not be too concerned with waiting until June 17th.

I go for a diagnostic mammogram and bilateral breast ultrasound May
29. My mammogram screening came back abnormal and dense breasts. So just another thing to be concerned about. My mom's sister had breast cancer.

It's great being part of such a supportive forum!

Northerngirl

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 06:58:50 AM »

Tina D, you do seem to be going through some worrying health struggles at present. Hope you've got support around you to talk things through when you need to.
Let us know how things go and remember we're here for you  :bighug: