Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Progesterone levels at 56 nearly!  (Read 268 times)

Carrie

Progesterone levels at 56 nearly!
« on: May 08, 2024, 08:42:16 PM »

I am on oestrogel 2-3pumos but having new night sweats moody anxiety weight gain symptoms. I have a coil in also. Menopause clinic did my bloods oestrogen levels satisfactory but virtually nil progesterone. Dr has advised 100mg utergestan which previously gave me headache low mood.
I am wondering are progesterone levels low with the coil? Also why would I need oral/ vaginal form when I have the coil? Is this hormone generally checked in menopause and does help with the weight by balancing out with the oestrogen.
I have read about oestrogen dominance.
I would love to hear the forums thoughts advice on this. I am nervous restarting it as I had very low mood last time. I took it vaginally last night and read somewhere alternative nights to take it?
Confused! 😐

Tynkabelle

Re: Progesterone levels at 56 nearly!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 05:44:33 AM »

Hi Carrie

Apologies, I can’t speak about the coil as don’t use it.

Have you seen in another thread about Oestrogel and the current version is reverting menopause symptoms back for a number of women - ok, your oestrogen results sound ok, but thought to mention (I switched to Sandrena and my symptoms stopped after a few weeks of trial and error - take 2x 1mg daily)

Utrogestan - I take 1x 100mg daily and orally on an evening, 2 hour gap after food etc - how long did you try it for? Reason I ask is that I had terrible headaches when I started it for a few weeks but then it all settled down and I have had no problems since - ok we do all react differently - maybe persevere for 3 weeks ish and see if it settles?

Hope someone else can offer guidance if they are taking all 3 like you - just wanted to give my input on the Utrogestan bit 👍

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 09:27:31 AM »

As you have a mirena you don't need utro as well, the mirena is all you need to protect your uterus. A very few women seem to feel better with some progesterone but for most it's what we have to put up with to have oestrogen. It's more localised with a coil so less likely to be in your blood. When you have symptoms of oestrogen deficiency I can't understand why they should suggest progesterone instead of an increase in oestrogen. What was you oestrogen level? Though it's pretty meaningless as women feel good on different levels. The NHS normally go on symptoms. If it was me I'd stay off the utro and increase oestrogen. And I'd find a new meno clinic.

AngelaH

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 10:06:38 AM »

I am wondering are progesterone levels low with the coil?

I don’t know if blood test should show it or not. How old is your Mirena? It should be used for HRT 4 years only and 5 for contraception (which is not your case).

I was fitted with the Mirena because I suffered from natural estrogen dominance in peri, which was created by my own body. In that case the Mirena was enough to treat severe symptoms of imbalance. I don’t know much about using the Mirena in post meno, my is now out of date and should be removed.

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 10:12:36 AM »

Merena is progestin. Your body dies t utilise it as it would natural progesterone.

I believe it is the balance of E and P that makes us feel good, or bad. Unfortunately the NHS normally just push more and more E making it quite unbalanced.

As Angela says, estrogen dominance is a real thing. I have it right now from my own body. No added E. For me progestin does not work to balance. It would need to be real progesterone. I do t think progestin shows in progesterone blood tests. 

Worth a shot I'd say. X

Carrie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 01:33:23 PM »

Thank you all for your replies :) I have the coil in for 2.5 years. I wondered if that would show in bloods not sure.

Also are others on the uterogestan because they don’t have to coil or for other reasons.
I wonder if adding progesterone balances the oestrogen and helps with the weight gain or simply should I stop the uterogestan and up to 3 pumps per day of the oestrogel.
It really is a so difficult. I only took one uterosgestan vaginally due another one tonight alternating days and I have a headache since so taking paracetamol. I actually rang another menopause clinic there waiting for them to call back!

AngelaH

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 10:35:58 AM »

Thank you all for your replies :) I have the coil in for 2.5 years.

2.5 years it should work perfectly for you.
I am surprised your doctor thinks that your symptoms are caused by low progesterone, because NHS does not recognise “estrogen dominance”, it always  low estrogen is blamed for causing the problems from NHS point of view.

Carrie

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 04:53:09 PM »

Hi ladies I’ve lost faith in that clinic so I’m booked into a menopause clinic in Dublin. I think I need extra oestrogen I had 3 pumps today and feel better headache subsiding I think! I might ask for an endometrial scan just to check lining thickness if that’s ok then my coil is grand!