Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Do I really need HRT?  (Read 366 times)

Helenmelon1974

• First Flush
Do I really need HRT?
« on: May 08, 2024, 08:54:54 AM »

Hi, just after some expert advice here. In February I spoke to my GP because I’d had headaches,anxiety and dizziness for months and was feeling pretty wiped out in general. GP suggested HRT (I’m 49) which I said I’d think about. In February I stopped taking Omeprazole, lo and behold the headaches stopped!! The dizziness and generally feeling crap got worse!
4th March-Coil removed (out of date, no contraception needed)

6th April-I had bloods done which showed high infection markers.

7th April- urine tested, very high bacteria levels. Started strong antibiotics.

8th April-started HRT advised by doctor due to how I’d been feeling.

10th April- FELT AMAZING!

11th April-first period in 5 years, extremely heavy and lasted 10 days still felt great!

17th April-patch containing progesterone started, anxiety sky high and mood continued to lower. Advised to stop and have another coil fitted so I could have oestrogen only patches.

26th April-Mirena fitted and oestrogen patches started. Expected to feel great again but didn’t happen.

4th May-period came, extremely heavy lots of pain, feeling so tired and flat.

I know it’s early days but I’m beginning to think the improvement I had at the start of April was actually getting rid of a urine infection that I’d had since December! (Also possibly the Mirena wearing off and my body taking over.) I’m obviously still having monthly periods which I’ve found out since having the coil removed so should I even be on HRT? Part of me wants to just get this coil out, stop patches and see how I am without any artificial hormones!

joziel

Re: Do I really need HRT?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 10:15:44 AM »

Hormones are not 'artificial'. They are body identical and replacing what your own body will be missing.

By age 49, you will be deficient in all 3 hormones even if still producing some. And it's only going to get worse. Not wanting to be all doom and gloom about this but even if you don't 'need' it now, you will go through menopause.

Even if you don't have symptoms, you will have all the health impact of loss of bone density, increased risk of osteoporosis, heart disease, dementia, bowel cancer and more. It's totally up to you whether you take hormones or not, it's an individual decision. But it should be an informed decision where you know about the risks of not taking them.

It's way too early to know what is going on if you only had the Mirena fitted 26th April. In 99% of women, the Mirena totally stops all bleeding and periods. So soon you won't have that to worry about. It is probably the build up since the previous one was removed which is being shed.

The Mirena doesn't give you body identical progesterone. And the patch which you were given also had a synthetic progestin in it (not body identical). Only utrogestan or micronised progesterone is body identical. So even though you have a Mirena in, you MIGHT benefit from also having utrogestan. Some women can't tolerate it, some women really need it.

You may also need more estrogen. Getting HRT right can take a lot of tinkering and experimentation. If you're thinking of stopping it about a week after starting it, you maybe need to approach it all a bit differently...  And with feeling 'tired and flat', testosterone would be very helpful.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 01:15:20 PM by joziel »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 10:54:01 AM »

Morning.  Was the infection isolated so that you were prescribed suitable Anti-biotic therapy?

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make. notes ;-).  Ask away.

Do read 'the bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy threads.  4warned is 4armed. 

Helenmelon1974

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 05:25:21 PM »

Morning.  Was the infection isolated so that you were prescribed suitable Anti-biotic therapy?

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make. notes ;-).  Ask away.

Do read 'the bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy threads.  4warned is 4armed.

Yes, the lab had included the antibiotics I needed for the infection found 😊

Helenmelon1974

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 05:30:17 PM »

Hormones are not 'artificial'. They are body identical and replacing what your own body will be missing.

By age 49, you will be deficient in all 3 hormones even if still producing some. And it's only going to get worse. Not wanting to be all doom and gloom about this but even if you don't 'need' it now, you will go through menopause.

Even if you don't have symptoms, you will have all the health impact of loss of bone density, increased risk of osteoporosis, heart disease, dementia, bowel cancer and more. It's totally up to you whether you take hormones or not, it's an individual decision. But it should be an informed decision where you know about the risks of not taking them.

It's way too early to know what is going on if you only had the Mirena fitted 26th April. In 99% of women, the Mirena totally stops all bleeding and periods. So soon you won't have that to worry about. It is probably the build up since the previous one was removed which is being shed.

The Mirena doesn't give you body identical progesterone. And the patch which you were given also had a synthetic progestin in it (not body identical). Only utrogestan or micronised progesterone is body identical. So even though you have a Mirena in, you MIGHT benefit from also having utrogestan. Some women can't tolerate it, some women really need it.

You may also need more estrogen. Getting HRT right can take a lot of tinkering and experimentation. If you're thinking of stopping it about a week after starting it, you maybe need to approach it all a bit differently...  And with feeling 'tired and flat', testosterone would be very helpful.

Thank you for your reply. I got to a point of being close to a MH crisis (ans I had on the progesterone patches) and the GP removed the coil the next day. Feeling much better now. My options are to see how I am with no HRT for a few weeks or to carry on with the Evorel 50 and try Utrogestan. As you said, I am going to need HRT at some point and from the research I’ve been doing it seems that having this vaginally rather than orally would be my best option. So I will speak to my GP again Monday 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 05:34:33 PM »

Not everyone requires HRT other than treatment for vaginal atrophy.