Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Does the worry ever end? - thickened lining  (Read 486 times)

Marshabookworm

Does the worry ever end? - thickened lining
« on: May 07, 2024, 03:02:41 PM »

Went for an internal scan today due to having right hand ovary pain and family history of ovarian cancer. Was told some small cysts on left ovary, right seemed okay, but my lining was 20mm!!....I mean, that's bad right? Advised that GP would probably either refer for hysteroscopy for a biopsy or medication and rescan.

Of course, I googled! And I'm terrified I have cancer, everything I read was bad news time. Will this worry ever end, if it's not one thing it's another.

In cycle terms I'm 8 days until my next period. I stopped HRT about 3/4 weeks ago after 2 months in it as it was just making me feel so bad in general but particularly my mental health, have felt much better off it. Periods are more regular than I've ever been, I feel like a teenager, complete with the spots. Dr said at 20mm he would expect them to be really heavy. I think they're not as bad as they used to be but they've always been pretty bad. What is classed as bad though?

laszla

Re: Does the worry ever end? - thickened lining
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 06:29:50 PM »

2 points in haste - if you have periods the scan should be done as soon as it's finished and definitely not shortly before when the lining will be thicker as it's getting ready to shed - they should have advised you to time the scan just after the bleed as this might be causing you needless worry.

Secondly, 20 mm is not a low number but when mine used to be slightly over 10, my then consultant Nick Panay told me that was ok, despite that I see on here quite frequently people advise or have been advised to aim for much lower, say up to 5/6 mm.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 08:07:35 PM »

IMO the best option would be to scan again just after a period. I've heard of 16mm being fine just before a period, the recommend 4-5mm is if you're meno on a conti regime. I think if you have cancer it's irregular. I wouldn't worry too much, it might be perfectly normal for you but unless you're scanned just before a bleed you'd never know.

In pain

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 09:00:14 PM »

Ask for a re scan after your period. I had a thick irregular lining ,had to have hysteroscopy and my biopsy came back fine.

Nas

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 04:24:38 PM »

Word of advice, don’t google. Often information is incorrect, outdated and most commonly, worrying.

Hopefully you will bleed soon and then maybe they can rescan you? Pointless scanning before a bleed I think.

You are now not on HRT and you haven’t experienced abnormal bleeding, so that’s good. Usually the two week referral path is  actioned either when you’ve been on a conti regime for over 6 months and bleed out the blue, or you are post meno, not on HRT and haven’t had a period for over a year or so and then bleed again suddenly.

Hang on in there and let gynae take over. They may do a hysteroscopy and/ or biopsy, but that wouldn’t be a bad thing because you would get piece of mind then.

Nas

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 06:08:11 PM »

Word of advice, don’t google. Often information is incorrect, outdated and most commonly, worrying.

Hopefully you will bleed soon and then maybe they can rescan you? Pointless scanning before a bleed I think.

You are now not on HRT and you haven’t experienced abnormal bleeding, so that’s good. Usually the two week referral path is  actioned either when you’ve been on a conti regime for over 6 months and bleed out the blue, or you are post meno, not on HRT and haven’t had a period for over a year or so and then bleed again suddenly.

Hang on in there and let gynae take over. They may do a hysteroscopy and/ or biopsy, but that wouldn’t be a bad thing because you would get piece of mind then.

Thank you Nas, I do try not to Google but fail abysmally!

Easily done I know!
I do it too.. BUT usually instil the fear of god into myself, in the process!