Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Brain fog - peri or meno?  (Read 308 times)

CrispyChick

Brain fog - peri or meno?
« on: May 06, 2024, 02:59:16 PM »

Is brain fog more a peri symptom as things change, or a post meno symptom?

Or maybe both. Joy!

AngelaH

Re: Brain fog - peri or meno?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 03:08:05 PM »

Personally for me both. I had this symptom in peri, when my progesterone was falling. And had it again, when estrogen started dropping in meno.

It so hard to navigate by symptoms what is going wrong, but definitely something is falling down.  ???

Nas

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 04:43:36 PM »

Post meno for me.
Anxiety was my main peri ( still is) x

chopsuey

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 05:34:31 PM »

Both for me. I find testosterone does help but don't think my brain will ever work like it used to, sadly

Nas

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 06:07:46 PM »

Both for me. I find testosterone does help but don't think my brain will ever work like it used to, sadly

Mine neither   :'(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM by Nas »

chopsuey

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 06:24:36 PM »

Dr Lisa Mosconi, an American neuroscientist has done a lot of research into women's brains, including what happens to them during the menopause. She has recently written a book on the subject and has done talks on the subject - see below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJZ8z_nTCZQ

Declining oestrogen affects many parts of the brain. For most women, the brain does adapt to lower levels over time but some women never get back to where they were before peri. I personally wish I had started HRT earlier when I first started getting symptoms in peri, as I feel it may have halted some of the decline. 

Nas

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 07:40:10 PM »

You are stuffed If HRT is off limits then. You just have to accept a gradual decline in brain function?

chopsuey

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 08:08:26 PM »

No, as I say, most women's brains do adapt over time to having lower oestrogen levels, just as for many women, other symptoms of menopause like hot flushes do stop after a few years. The brain is very adaptable and finds new ways to adjust to lower oestrogen levels, like increasing blood flow. For some women, however, the brain never does quite recover to it's former level but it doesn't mean it goes on declining, other than it would anyway from the general ageing process

You can read more about it here, in a article she wrote in the Guardian recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/23/neurology-professor-lisa-mosconi-menopause-brain-book-interview-hrt?ref=mc.news

At the moment, there is not enough research to say whether HRT helps stave off dementia. HRT has definitely helped my brain function, in particular testosterone and I wish I had started it earlier but I've no way of knowing for sure if I'd be in a better place now if I had. My cholesterol is high, so the blood vessels in my brain are probably clogged up with that!   

GraceVidrio

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 06:44:42 AM »

No, as I say, most women's brains do adapt over time to having lower oestrogen levels, just as for many women, other symptoms of menopause like hot flushes do stop after a few years. The brain is very adaptable and finds new ways to adjust to lower oestrogen levels, like increasing blood flow. For some women, however, the brain never does quite recover to it's former level but it doesn't mean it goes on declining, other than it would anyway from the general ageing process

You can read more about it here, in a article she wrote in the Guardian recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/23/neurology-professor-lisa-mosconi-menopause-brain-book-interview-hrt?ref=mc.news

At the moment, there is not enough research to say whether HRT helps stave off dementia. HRT has definitely helped my brain function, in particular testosterone and I wish I had started it earlier but I've no way of knowing for sure if I'd be in a better place now if I had. My cholesterol is high, so the blood vessels in my brain are probably clogged up with that!

Thanks for the article link, I will read it.