Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Stopping hrt  (Read 400 times)

Linda

Stopping hrt
« on: May 04, 2024, 03:04:42 PM »

Hi,
Has anyone tried to come off Kliofem tablets and if so how did you go about it?
Thanks, Linda x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stopping hrt
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 04:15:02 PM »

Do U have a thread about this which Hurdity has answered  :-\

Linda

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 07:19:36 AM »

Hi, no that was about a different matter x

merrygoround

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 09:02:39 AM »

Why are you stopping? The answer depends on that really.
I'll guess your doctor didn't tell you to stop them or you'd have that advice already.
With all the HRTs I've tried, I've been told to stop it immediately with no tapering off period.

Having no taper makes it an extremely unpleasant experience and I'd not recommend that to anyone.

So if you decide to taper off the med, you either need to keep getting it from your GP or already have a stockpile, I favour the latter aproach because the doctor's word is final, she might say no.

A sensible taper might mean you take one pill every two days, then after a week of that take one in three days, or better still reduce the size of the pills if possible and have a little bit every day. After a month of reducing your dose you should reach near zero and walk away.

If you have a good doctor, get her advice and she might switch you to something else, depends on your reasons.

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 09:58:14 AM »

I don't think they advise alternating days anymore as it raises fluctuations but definitely reducing the dose helps and tapering that way. I tapered off of hrt recently, not what you're om, but estrogel. I reduced to half a pump for a bit then stopped. It's been okay so far,  but only two weeks off of it. First time I've tried to come off gradually and it's definitely helped to do it that way. Last two times I tried to stop I got hot flashes back pretty much immediately.

Linda

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 01:52:16 PM »

Hi ladies, thanks for your replies. Two years ago when I had spotting and was sent for a scan everything was ok and the gynaecologist said it’s the hrt.
She mentioned had I thought of coming off it. It had crossed my mind to see how I would be off it.
She suggested cold Turkey which I did and was fine for quite a while then the hot sweats came back with vengeance.
I started back on the same hrt but then another 2 years I’ve started with the spotting so it’s crossed my mind should I come off it again, but what’s the best way or try another hrt.
Thanks, Linda.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 02:08:09 PM »

If you're going to try another hrt you may as well go straight on it (at least the oestrogen. As you're spotting you may want to stop progesterone so you have a bleed). As stopping progesterone may cause a withdrawal bleed I think you need either the normal dose or nothing but not taking it every other day.