Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Gum health  (Read 290 times)

Drama

Gum health
« on: May 04, 2024, 09:36:13 AM »

Hi

It’s probably all part of age and menopause but a few of my teeth are now showing signs of recession despite excellent hygiene no gum disease. I have seen 2 dentists recently who haven’t expressed concern. Having read an article about gum health i’m now freaking out worrying that I’m going to lose all my teeth. Has anyone had these issues and how was it treated if it gets worse?

Ayesha

Re: Gum health
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 10:34:57 AM »

Its the gums receding with age, all natural unfortunately and no need to panic.
You might find that you have a tooth ache but its the nerves being exposed to the cold weather and a sensitive toothpaste is best to use from now on. If the dentists are not worried then neither should you be  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 11:30:44 AM »

Try not to worry, gums recede with age.  Several years ago I opted 4 implants rather than a 'plate' as I feel I'm too young to have a glass of teeth by the bed ;-)

Do your gums bleed, apparently it's good occasionally as it stimulates any healing required.  Those small Tip-ee brushes are advised at least twice a day .  They are sold in different sizes. 

Kasann

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 02:36:03 PM »

Hi., when I look back now this was probably my 1st symptom . Always looked after my teeth with regular check ups . At 47 I was asked what have you been doing you’ve the start of gum disease . I was horrified . I floss , use the interdental brushes as well .
I went to 3 month cleans &manage to reverse  the gum disease . 
In that year my older gentleman dentist retired & I’ve now a mid 30’s lady who said it’s common at menopause . They do recede also with age .
I used to panic they were going to fall out as well. My advise would be regular cleans & the little brushes with your twice daily clean.

DottyD68

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 03:48:16 PM »

I've always had pretty straight aligned teeth and they have started moving/folding behind one another on the bottom at the front. I can also feel one moving behind one of my top front teeth too. Dentist said it's a totally normal age-related thing. Deep joy!

Those little plastic inter-dental brushes are a game-changer for me. Much easier to use that floss so I use them more frequently. As a result I got top marks for oral hygiene at my last check up. Sadly I didn't get a sticker  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 04:27:39 PM »

;D. my dentist doesn't give sweeties either for 10/10  >:( ;D

I never used floss, messy stuff.  My teeth are so crocked that I can't get the stuff in between my teeth anyway.  Te-pees are much better.