Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT after hysterectomy  (Read 266 times)

Greengoddess

HRT after hysterectomy
« on: May 04, 2024, 07:51:38 AM »

Hello all
I am two and a half weeks post total hysterectomy….I was on 2 pumps oestrogen and two Utrogestan for a year or so prior to this. My consultant told me to increase the oestrogen to 4 pumps which I have done, and am also taking one Utrogestan due to the endometriosis, along with testosterone.
I have started having the most awful night sweats the last few nights. Is this just my body throwing a hissy fit after the operation, and is this likely to settle after a while now that I am on an increased oestrogen dose? Is this just early days?  Or should I increase the dose?
This has hit me like a car crash!! 🫤🫤

Hurdity

Re: HRT after hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 08:15:33 AM »

Hi  Greengoddess

Sorry to hear about your sweats. Did you keep your ovaries after your total hysterectomy? This will make a difference. Also partly how you react will depend on where you were in menopause before the op and your age - though if you were taking HRT before the op you may not know how far along the road you were?

If your ovaries were also removed and you were not yet menopausal then this will have a greater impact. Also your body has been through a major event and it will take some time to recover, as well as to settle on the right oestrogen dose for you.

Personally I wouldn't be inclined to increase just yet to give your body a chance to recover, especially as the gel dose is already much greater than before the op, and I presume you had no issues with absorption? However do ask your consultant or whoever is responsible for your ongoing care, if s/he hasn't given any instructions as to what to do in this scenario - increased sweats.

I hope you have some relief soon.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 08:22:03 AM »

Morning.   These issues should be discussed B4 major surgery  ::). at least your Consultant is talking about what you may require.

:foryou: :tulips2:  rest.  Take time to recover.  Feet up, doze, read, watch TV.  If the sun shines get into the fresh air  8).

Browse round.  Ask away.  Let us know how you get on.

Greengoddess

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 08:40:24 AM »

Thank you both.
Hurdity, I’m 52 and had my ovaries removed too. I’m not quite sure where I was on my menopause journey if I’m honest, as I’d had fairly constant bleeding due to fibroids and endo, the reason for my hysterectomy.
I am seeing my consultant in a few weeks for my six week check/discharge 🤞🏻 so will speak to him about it too. But maybe it is something I just need to give time to settle, and try to relax into recovery!

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 10:48:50 AM »

I went through very similar nearly three years ago. I upped my pumps of gel exactly like you. Do you split the dose? I found I did best on three in the morning and one in the evening, and the evening pump was enough to stop the sweats. You might find you need to do two at night. I was told I could go up to six pumps if need be and I think at one point I did go up to five. But mainly stuck to four. The only other thing I could suggest is have you got a different bottle of oestrogel? I didn't get on with the one with a label covering up the fact it was oestrodose. So I have switched now to Sandrena. But you don't want to mess about changing too much at once. Give it a few days, take some gel at night if you aren't already doing so and if the sweats don't go, then consider upping the dose. And check with consultant too x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 11:29:12 AM »

:thankyou:  Gnatty

Greengoddess

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 06:31:11 PM »

Thanks Gnatty
That’s helpful advice, I will perhaps try a sneaky extra pump of gel tonight before I go to bed and see if that helps.
I think I’m using the French labelled Oestrogel (Oestrodose?) at the moment. To be honest, every bottle I get from the chemist is different each time!
I will speak to the consultant about it too when I see him….but am also very aware that it’s very early days at only two weeks post op, so my body is probably still in shock and may take time to settle down.

joziel

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 06:58:56 PM »

If you've just been thrown into surgical menopause, you might need quite a high dose of estrogen.

I'm on 10 pumps, by the way. Please don't be afraid of using whatever you need to feel better and if your doctor doesn't agree, there are many private menopause clinics out there which will give you all the estrogen you need.