Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Acid reflux and utrogestan  (Read 220 times)

Tulip256

Acid reflux and utrogestan
« on: May 03, 2024, 09:52:58 AM »

I think my HRT is causing my acid reflux.  Since starting testosterone it has improved a bit though and I now seem to only get it on the 12 days I take utrogestan rather than the whole month.

I am wondering if anyone else had that issue and whether using the utrogestan capsules vaginally might help?

I am thinking of trying this next month but do I still need to take 200mg for 12 days or would 100mg be sufficient vaginally as I think it is meant to be absorbed better this way? 

Also when taking utrogestan my period starts on day 10 of taking the capsules.  If I am bleeding is it still ok to insert them vaginally?

I am also assuming I can just use my regular capsules rather than get the vaginal pessaries which I know will be a battle to get my GP to prescribe?

Penguin

Re: Acid reflux and utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 09:57:53 AM »

HRT caused my silent reflux, in particular the utrogestan phase. I'd never had it before starting HRT and it kicked off in the second month of starting it. I only ever used utrogestan vaginally so that didn't help unfortunately,  although i have heard it has helped some people. I also sometimes got it when my estrogen peaked at ovulation.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 02:20:50 PM »

Using utro vaginally should avoid the digestive side effects. It's the same capsule, just push it up as far as you can before you go to bed. Besins and the NHS think it's the same dose, Newson thinks you can halve it. Take your pick who you believe (obviously less risky with a low oestrogen dose than a high one). Medical advice is to continue taking it if you bleed early. I stop and count again from day 1 so the cycles remain in step.

Elizabethlovejoy

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 03:58:43 PM »

Re Sheila 99’s post above,I have just been told at my annual review with Newson that I should increase my utrogestan vaginal dosage to every day ,rather than every other day. I have not had any bleeding and am on 4 pumps of Oestrogel and she said this was their new recommendation.

Tulip256

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 04:23:29 PM »

Thanks both. @sheila do you mean that you stop it before 12 days but then count for 15 days from day 1 of the bleed to restart it? Do you have scans if you stop it early?

Also I was wondering if it is ok to use vaginally if you also use estriol cream? Does it interact with the oestrogen?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 08:52:22 AM »

Vaginal use of Utrogestan is recommended by the manufacturer if there are side effects from oral use - but this is in France, because vaginal use for HRT is not licensed here ( bizarrely).

Inserting them vaginally when bleeding - I guess it depends on the bleed and how heavy. I would worry about it getting washed out though if you use tampons maybe the tampon will help keep the capsule up there sufficiently long for some progesterone to diffuse into the uterus?

Some women do start to bleed towards the end of the progesterone course. You could try to tweak  your cycle as sheila says but if it continues to happen then try to take the  whole course otherwise you may not be getting sufficient and you may end up shortening your cycle too much?

Yes you would stop the Utro and start counting from Day 1 as first day of the bleed - but personally I wouldn't do this, except perhaps once to try to sync your own cycle ( but in peri the cycle doesn't remain the same!).

Using utro vaginally should avoid the digestive side effects. It's the same capsule, just push it up as far as you can before you go to bed. Besins and the NHS think it's the same dose, Newson thinks you can halve it. Take your pick who you believe (obviously less risky with a low oestrogen dose than a high one). Medical advice is to continue taking it if you bleed early. I stop and count again from day 1 so the cycles remain in step.

Just to clarify here - Besins always recommended taking the same dose vaginally as orally if there are side effects from oral use. There have been limited small-scale studies showing that half the vaginal compared with oral dose is effective in protecting the endometrium, but these studies were conducted using small to medium oestrogen doses - from memory, 25 mcg and 50 mcg patches (though don't quote me on that!). The Newson clinic policy was to extrapolate that as recommended dosage for all women, irrespective of their oestrogen dose (ie halving the vginal dosage compared with oral), because so many women have some degree of progesterone sensitivity, which can be a sticking point when it comes to HRT.

The British Menopause Society recently gave guidance on Progestogens and Endometrial Protection in their Tools for Clinicians series in which they conclude: "Based on current evidence if progesterone was considered for vaginal administration (out of license use) in women who experience side effects with oral intake, this should ordinarily be given in similar doses and durations as suggested for oral progesterone intake with HRT."

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 08:55:02 AM »

Also I was wondering if it is ok to use vaginally if you also use estriol cream? Does it interact with the oestrogen?

I use Vagifem mostly, and insert it in the morning, with the Utrogestan at night. I have not found an answer as to whether they interfere with each other - and I don't think there has been research on this. I would think it's more difficult with cream which might potentially form a physical barrier to absorption of the progesterone - though I don't know? Can you get some vagifem or Vagirux to use when you're on the prog phase of your hRT maybe?

Hurdity x