Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many hot flushes is too many?  (Read 686 times)

Dorastar

How many hot flushes is too many?
« on: May 02, 2024, 08:34:21 PM »

Been peri for ages but now not had a period since Feb this year, the longest time apart from a 3 month gap after a family bereavement. Hot flushes & night sweats have ramped up a lot & today I've had 18 so far, none dreadful or debilitating but it's only May & we've not hit any real hot weather. Do they get worse in hot weather and do they increase as you go through menopause or is this already a high number? I am generally well & Dr avoidant but wondering if it's worth the 7 circles of hell phone call to mine?

merrygoround

Re: How many hot flushes is too many?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 06:17:39 AM »

It's very subjective, there's no numerical answer to it.

The NHS qualify it by how much it interferes with your life. If those 18 hot flushes each resulted in a change of clothes then it's a lot. If none of them had you drenched then they might just be annoying rather than demanding action.

I had night sweats because of taking fluoxetine even in my thirties, my menopause hot flushes started simultaneously with my final period age 51. Of course I didn't know then it was my final period, the previous three had been like clockwork, over the next 12 months the hot flushes became sweatier until I needed a change of clothes at every one, then it became a morning only thing and they really were starting to ease off a bit by the time I was eligible for HRT a year later.

I said I wanted HRT for my bone health as I've many risk factors for oesteoporosis, she said it's not allowed unless you're getting symptoms. I confirmed I was still having symptoms and after jumping through another few hoops I was allowed to try one type of HRT and when that made me feel worse my GP said that was the best one, all the others would make me feel even worse and I had to wait another year for the menopause clinic to phone and overrule her!

PS You ask about hot weather. Yes, I found there were many external triggers. Anything that brings heat to the body has the potential to set off the demons, even the touch of my husband next to me in bed would burn too hot, he can feel impossibly hot for a human, my perception of heat can be that far off the mark and the touch of him would send my body into the full alert of being burned, with the overreaction of instant sweating and accompanying dizziness.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 06:32:04 AM by merrygoround »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 08:59:20 AM »

My DH is a warm Guy ;-).  Other than his feet.

'too many' - how long is a piece of string.  I've never fortunately had any heat issues with any of the ADs prescribed since the 1980s.  I had cold flushes down my back when I was prescribe Tamoxifen which I was unable to tolerate.  The drug made me feel 'fluey and my sense of smell/taste was very heightened. 

merryground: did U eventually get an HRT regime that helps?  Sorry if you have other threads, I'm a bit menopause-muggy headed this morning  ::)

Dorastar: mayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary for 3 months to see whether there is a pattern and decide which symptoms U would like to ease first?  Let us know?

AngelaH

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 10:43:28 AM »

I would say when hot flashes start effecting your everyday life it means you have too many of them.

AngelaH

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 10:47:51 AM »

Do they get worse in hot weather and do they increase as you go through menopause or is this already a high number?
I felt worse in summer, because too hot inside and too hot outside, hard to cool myself down.

Depends on your body, we all different.
My hot flashes stopped in post meno, the body itself sorted them out eventually.

MrsMitch

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 04:21:22 PM »

Definitely as others say if they have a negative effect on your everyday life. Mine got so bad that they disturbed my sleep and during the day left me drenched. I couldn't go on like it.
With regards to summer, far far worse in some ways, but at least if you can get in the shade or have doors and windows blowing air through (or my newly installed aircon!!).
Remember last September we had that really boiling hot period? We were in Central London for a conference I an old building with no aircon and it was murder. And that is on HRT.
So keep a diary and see how much you are being affected. In my experience the flushes got more frequent and 'hotter'. I'd walk the dog in a vest top in winter! If you start to struggle, it is definitely worth the call to GP. But in the meantime read as much as you can here so you learn what you might need and also how to insist you get what you need and not brushed off by your GP. Some are OK, some are useless. Maybe consider starting the ball rolling now in case things get worse and if they don't, wonderful.

Dorastar

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 09:05:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies, been trying to track stuff a bit but then today's been way cooler & had a lot less hot flushes. Surrounded by colleagues all on HRT and all telling I MUST be on it "by now" as I'm older than most of them but only really just starting the year up to menopause iyswim despite being older. I don't feel like I need it yet, and am also fairly healthy, but then I don't want to hang on & then turn into an actual puddle of sweat a few months later 🤣
Agree with the post about burning hot husbands too. Forgot to mention the nasty chills I have after each flush too, proper coat on to warm up (until next hot flush then repeat!)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 09:12:26 PM by Dorastar »

MrsMitch

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 06:28:22 AM »

I used to get chills to in the early days of flushes. Looking back they were better than being hot! A friend told me that chills are also a symptom of low oestrogen,  not sure if it is.
It does sound like you are managing well. Don't be pressured by those around you. You really don't want to be on HRT unless you really absolutely have to be.

Dorastar

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 09:35:16 AM »

Thanks, I do feel under a lot of pressure to go for HRT from work colleagues but I also feel like I'm a way off needing it yet. Working on eating better & getting a bit fitter in the meantime which has only got to help.

merrygoround

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 10:16:42 AM »

merryground: did U eventually get an HRT regime that helps?  Sorry if you have other threads, I'm a bit menopause-muggy headed this morning  ::)
Yes, tibolone protects my bones at least as well as other HRTs, without the side effects. Deals with mental health issues effectively too.

I can think of two reasons why it's less commonly prescribed;

It's only indicated for post meno women, unlike OE&P which is given off label to peri women all the time and they either get used to it first or don't know there's an alternative.

Tibolone has a much higher compliance rate than oestrogen/progesterone HRT, so (in the short term) is more expensive to the health service than a medicine that women quietly give up on after a few months, as we know happens all the time when only the OE&P type of HRT is provided, often only one brand as well. I've yet to see an informed negative comment about tibolone anywhere on this forum, that says a lot!

IMO it's the far superior medicine, I can't think of a reason why anyone would not prefer it OE&P, except by never getting to try it.

CrispyChick

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2024, 10:34:48 AM »

What does it actually do? Make your body make its own E and P???

AngelaH

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2024, 12:16:04 PM »

What does it actually do? Make your body make its own E and P???
Yes, it does E, P and T.

I was looking to that option too. It is considered to be synthetic type of HRT.

CrispyChick

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2024, 12:38:46 PM »

Could it make too much of one hormone though. Or does it cause balance?

AngelaH

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2024, 01:00:00 PM »

Could it make too much of one hormone though. Or does it cause balance?
I think the body decides what it needs. Who knows what body’s decision can be.

My body used to make too much T, I think it used my progesterone to convert it into T. This is why I am not in rush to try Tibolone, I don’t know what my body will make from it.

suzysunday

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2024, 02:14:58 PM »

Interesting merrygoround what you say about timeline.  I took it a few years ago and found it easy to manage, except for initial acne.  It caused bleeding which stopped when I stopped tiblone.  Got scared so have only been on local hrt since.  It did sort out hot flushes.  How long have you taken it as I want to try hrt again and maybe go back on tiblone.  I thought it was advised for short periods of time and banned in USA? Dorastar, hope you don't mind me asking on your thread.
Pages: [1] 2