Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Over-labelled/Import Utrogestan 😩  (Read 396 times)

boomerang

Over-labelled/Import Utrogestan 😩
« on: April 29, 2024, 08:11:56 PM »

Hi all
Just got my new prescription of Utrogestan to start today. Completely different packaging and covered in paper labels. Product inside is “Progestan” definitely NOT Utrogestan.

Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone used this drug?  I’m extremely hesitant about this in the light of all the Oestrodose/Gel shenanigans.
Really wish I’d noticed before today!

Many thanks 🙏🏻

chopsuey

Re: Over-labelled/Import Utrogestan 😩
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 08:58:17 PM »

Not had Progestan myself but it does seem that other progesterones are now being used in the UK as well as Utro - there are a couple of threads on Gepretix if you have a look back elsewhere in All things menopause.

Does it give a manufacturer so you can look up what's in it and is it a soft capsule in the same way that Utro is?

Agree it's all very disconcerting having different products, especially as you say with all the issues with Oestrogel

boomerang

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 09:34:16 PM »

Hello! Thanks for your reply.

So the stuck on label on the box says manufactured by Cyndea Pharma, repackaged by Beachcourse Ltd.
Utrogestan is a trademark of Besins

Then on the blister pack says Progestan 100 Besins International.

It does look just like Utrogestan so I’m (hoping!) it’s the same product just sold under a different name in other countries. I’m going to phone the pharmacy tomorrow to see what they say.
Like you say disconcerting!

chopsuey

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 09:56:15 PM »

If it's got Besin's name on the pack, I think you're right and it just a parallel import, like Oestrodose. Hopefully the pharmacy will put your mind at rest

boomerang

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 01:49:54 PM »

Update - I have spoken to the Pharmacy and they confirmed it is the same product just under a different name.

Tulip256

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 06:23:06 AM »

Just out of interest does it still contain titanium dioxide? I would like to find a product which doesn't now it has been banned in food in the EU on safety concerns.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 08:20:21 AM »

Banned in food doesn't equate to medical use, probably because it avoid the gut?  Interesting how suddenly an additive can become removed  ::)

boomerang

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 09:54:36 AM »

tulip256, I’ve checked the leaflet and it’s a Utrogestan leaflet and has titanium dioxide listed in the ingredients. I’m assuming if it is the exact same drug simply put into different packaging the Progestan will contain it.

Tulip256

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 03:02:20 PM »

@CLKD I thunk the EU are trying to get it banned in pharma too, the only reason it hasn't been yet is becuase the industry are against the potential disruption
https://www.raps.org/News-and-Articles/News-Articles/2023/11/Pharma-groups-fight-proposed-ban-on-titanium-dioxi

Thanks for checking boomerang. I am wondering about using it vaginally, maybe that is safer?

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 11:03:32 AM »

Hi boomerang - from googling it looks like this - Progestan - is the name given to the product in Germany. I have no idea why companies name their products differently for different countries because it (can) lead(s) to unnecessary worry and even at times hysteria (remembering the gel!). The main thing as you say is that it looks the same, is manufactured by the same company and has been relabelled with the name given in our country. If it wasn't the same then it couldn't be (over) labelled as such, but I agree it is disconcerting at first!

Hurdity x

AngelaH

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 12:50:09 PM »

Progestan - is the name given to the product in Germany. I have no idea why companies name their products differently for different countries
Hurdity x

Probably because of different languages have different  pronunciation?

I personally have no idea why English people say Moscow, when in reality it is Moscva in Russian language.

Sage 🍃

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 01:20:28 PM »

Actually, Progestan is Besins' generic version of progesterone in France and Utrogestan is the branded version, also called reference product, although I have never heard that the same pharmaceutical company could sell both generic and branded versions of the same drug, but in France the price of generics is lower, so that must be the reason. Progestan is also the name marketed in Denmark and Iceland. Maybe these countries (along with Germany) have chosen the generic version for the same reason, price. Both are manufactured by Cyndea Pharma in Spain, so why Progestan is cheaper, I have no idea!

https://base-donnees-publique.medicaments.gouv.fr/afficheGroupeGene.php?idGrp=123

As a side note, 'remembering the gel' as 'hysteria' was uncalled-for, just my humble opinion.