Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vagifem & Ovestin  (Read 1559 times)

fiftyplus

Re: Vagifem & Ovestin
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2024, 05:15:23 PM »

Just to add that after repeatedly asking for estradiol daily and being refused,  I forwarded an email consultation I had with Dr Heather Currie saying it us safe to use daily. Got the prescription then on repeat. 
Vesting is also on repeat 1 x per month but I will say that although others here and Dr Currie say that both shouldn't be needed, they definitely are in my case.
Hope that helps.

MrsMitch how did you go about getting the email consultation and how much did it cost, was this recently?  Soooo frustrating that gps are so ignorant about all of this ...

Orba

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2024, 10:11:14 PM »

After years of battling to get what I need , I've given up with GPs.
I circumvent them- totally.
Have done my research.
I use private online pharmacies now.
Imvaggis estriol pessaries internally.
Blissel gel externally.
I'm also on systemic HRT.
I'm now comfortable.
I will use these products indefinitely and will be taking them with me to the nursing home !!!

Dierdre

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2024, 09:12:09 AM »

I have 2 boxes of vagifem (48) every 7 weeks and 2 tubes of Estriol 1mg/g (Ovestin) every 6 weeks for external use, both on repeat and originally prescribed from gynae and vulva consultant.

Ayesha

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2024, 09:29:17 AM »

The posts so far really do demonstrate how very different we all are treating vaginal atrophy and how in control we as individuals have to be when confronting GP's about the condition.

Going down the private route is easy, I've done it myself buying Ovestin online but when you need daily treatment with Vagifem, the cost can be enormous and what makes it so damn difficult is when you come across the GP who hasn't got a clue about the condition and the fight begins.

So far I have been very lucky with getting what I need but I have moved to a new area and I am already waiting with boxing gloves on if I come across any opposition to the way I use VA treatment. 

fiftyplus

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2024, 10:39:09 AM »

If my GP refuses to give me what I feel I need - has anyone got any experience/suggestions in what I would do next/what the next steps would be? x

Dierdre

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2024, 12:36:17 PM »

Ask for a referral to see a gynaecologist or menopause clinic. They seem to be more up to date with dosage etc and will then write to your GP instructing them to prescribe their recommendations. I did this years ago.

Ayesha

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2024, 01:22:39 PM »

I agree, menopause clinic is the obvious next step if your GP will not listen.
My previous GP is a gynaecologist and I think that is why my journey was without issue, she gave me what was needed.

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2024, 07:20:38 PM »

Just to add that after repeatedly asking for estradiol daily and being refused,  I forwarded an email consultation I had with Dr Heather Currie saying it us safe to use daily. Got the prescription then on repeat. 
Vesting is also on repeat 1 x per month but I will say that although others here and Dr Currie say that both shouldn't be needed, they definitely are in my case.
Hope that helps.

MrsMitch how did you go about getting the email consultation and how much did it cost, was this recently?  Soooo frustrating that gps are so ignorant about all of this ...

Consultation with Dr Heather Currie here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contact.php
Costs £30

I have used this in the past (10 years ago) when I had abnormal aspotting and the doc wanted me to stop HRT to see if it stopped and pending investigation with scan and hysterosocpy etc and I didn't want to, so I consulted Dr C and she agreed there was no need to stop HRT, and I printed out the e-mail response to take to GP.

Best is to be as brief as possible but give as much information about your situation and then ask your question. If she's really busy sometimes there is a delay but usually the facility is suspended if she really is unable to respond within reasonable time.

Hurdity x

fiftyplus

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2024, 07:54:28 PM »

Many thanks Ladies - much appreciated x  :)

MrsMitch

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2024, 07:35:16 AM »

Unfortunately I believe the email service with Dr Currie is currently suspended.
Pages: 1 [2]