Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Shortage of Ovestin in my area, give me a break!  (Read 531 times)

Turkish delight

Shortage of Ovestin in my area, give me a break!
« on: April 29, 2024, 08:59:17 AM »

So the brand Ovestin was hard to get hands-on over weekend.

After going to 3 different Pharms, they said supply issues....hmm, that old Chesnut comeback to life again.

It's the 1st time of me using Ovestin so is this going to be an issue?

I searched this forum and looked like maybe a brand name change to Estrol or sumfin?

Does anyone know more? Is Ovestin disappearing? And is Estrol generic and as good?

So many questions!

TD
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 09:04:09 AM by Turkish delight »

Ayesha

Re: Shortage of Ovestin in my area, give me a break!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 09:39:19 AM »

There are posts on here about the name disappearing but not the product. I expect the change-over is causing delays. I haven't renewed my prescription yet so can't speak of experience on any delays but others will I expect.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 10:14:33 AM »

Ovestin has been rebranded as Estriol Cream 0.1%. It is exactly the same and made by the same manufacturer, but needs to be prescribed under the correct name, otherwise the pharmacist won't find it.
JP x

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 01:39:49 PM »

Duly noted, Joaniepat for when I ask for a repeat of Ovestin. Really is best to know these things before all the hassle of confusion at the pharmacy that may happen!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 01:42:12 PM »

I would giggle if that wasn't so serious.

My Surgery are still giving out 'ovestin'.

Turkish delight

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 03:13:15 PM »

The second pharmacy offered me the Estriol even though the script said Ovestin,
so for me I don't think that would be an issue as long as I agreed.

TD

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 06:31:36 AM »

You need to ask your doctor to change your repeat prescription to Estriol 1mg cream. Boots was trying to order mine under Ovestin for 3 weeks as they didn't know the name had changed even though I explained. I gave up and I got another paper script for Estriol 1mg from the doctors and took it to Asda's chemist who did know about this and gave me 2 tubes no problem.  (I tried 4 other chemists before Asda, none of them knew about the change and had no stock). I went into Boots again last week and a different pharmacist finally got what I was telling him and ordered Estriol, i got 1 tube the next day and the other is now ready for collection.
I'm now changing my preferred chemist to send my repeat prescription to Asda.

Minusminnie

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 07:06:51 AM »

Moving forward I think it would also help if members now referred to Estriol 1mg/g in posts rather than mention Ovestin now.

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 03:26:17 PM »

You need to ask your doctor to change your repeat prescription to Estriol 1mg cream. Boots was trying to order mine under Ovestin for 3 weeks as they didn't know the name had changed even though I explained. I gave up and I got another paper script for Estriol 1mg from the doctors and took it to Asda's chemist who did know about this and gave me 2 tubes no problem.  (I tried 4 other chemists before Asda, none of them knew about the change and had no stock). I went into Boots again last week and a different pharmacist finally got what I was telling him and ordered Estriol, i got 1 tube the next day and the other is now ready for collection.
I'm now changing my preferred chemist to send my repeat prescription to Asda.
Boots really are the pits, I would never have them as my preferred chemist, you've done the right thing!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 07:54:35 PM »

It's dreadful that pharmacists aren't keeping up!!!

Jules

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2024, 09:59:01 AM »

My small independent pharmacy gave me my estriol in place of ovestin with no supply issues. My GP prescribed 3 tubes and I got all the following day.

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2024, 04:17:06 PM »

I have just got more "ovestin" in the usual box, 5 tubes.  This was after a GP review.  The pharmacy didn't mention any change.

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 10:51:10 AM »

Just to remind members and to avoid confusion - here is what I posted previously on another thread:

Please note there are two different strengths of estriol cream ( which used to be branded) - one previously called Gynest cream is 0.01 % estriol, the weaker one, and comes with a largeish applicator (a bit thicker than the old Vagifem applicator but not as long) which can be used liberally. This is what I use.

The other is TEN TIMES  STRONGER, previously called Ovestin which is 0.1% and comes with a small applicator (I've never used this) so is designed to be used more sparingly, I guess.

Hurdity x

Hurdity x