media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sleep 😴  (Read 802 times)

Bass1979

Sleep 😴
« on: April 28, 2024, 09:53:40 PM »

Hi All

Any advice on how to bloody sleep.

I used to sleep for England, didn’t have issues sleeping and never had issues staying a sleep.

Now it’s a very different story, I can’t sleep. I can be really tired around 7pm when am down stairs but once a get to bed am like leaf wide  awake not even feeing tired.
Time ticks, gets to 1am, 2am I will eventually fall a sleep but most nights am tossing and turning then surprise surprise my alarm is going off at 6.30am for work.

Jokes a side, Am really struggling it’s affecting my concentration how I speak as words become muddled I just want to fall a sleep tired and have a good night sleep.

Any advise please xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sleep 😴
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 07:30:13 AM »

Morning.  If U drop off in the evening then sleep, it's what the brain requires.  That way you will get some rest even if you read into the early hours.  When my brain shuts off, that's it.  I'm gone!

has your GP prescribed anything short term to help?

Suziemc

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 05:49:24 PM »

Do you take Utrogestan? I found that when I did I had to take it early in the evening as, although advice is to take it before you go to bed as it can cause drowsiness, I found it left me wired for a couple of hours. Once I changed to taking it at about 8pm I found in could sleep at my natural bedtime of 10.30/11ish.

Suzie

chopsuey

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 06:09:10 PM »

There are lots of ways to try and aid good sleep. If you Google 'sleep hygiene' it will give you some suggestions, or have a look
at this link from the NHS, which covers most points:

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/Media/UHS-website-2019/Patientinformation/Other/Sleep-hygiene-3276-PIL.pdf

Most people sleep less well as they get older and the fall in oestrogen plays havoc with sleep, which HRT often helps with

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 07:19:26 PM »

I have used anti-sickness medication successfully short term, i.e. 2-3 nights running then I have a routine.

SadieLou

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 07:21:23 PM »

As an fellow insomniac, I'm so sorry you can't sleep.

Besides the usual good sleep hygiene advice/bedtime routine advice (which helped me) I take 100mg Magnesium about an hour before bed. 

For many people watching caffeine intake helps, too.  For me, it doesn't make a difference. 

If I don't fall asleep within 15 minutes or so I stop trying.   I get up, read a book, etc.    Just lying there stresses me out and makes sleep even harder to come by.

Bass1979

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 07:49:34 PM »

Thank you guys

Am currently on Everol 50

I was always a good sleeper till about a month ago I will try the tips

Thank you

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 09:51:03 PM »

Camomile tea and a handful of pumpkin seeds before bed can help.

SadieLou

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2024, 10:18:31 PM »

Pumpkin seeds?!   I never heard of that but have a bag in my pantry and Will have some before bed tonight.   Thank you!!

joziel

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 10:53:57 AM »

Bass, you might need more E. 50 is a low dose. IME, it's low or fluctuating E which causes most insomnia. I also think there is some relationship between E and the adrenals, so that when our E gets low or fluctuates weirdly out of sync with a cycle, it makes our adrenals work overtime to try to compensate somehow. Then we are cortisol-ed and adrenaline-d and can't sleep.

I did a 4 point saliva cortisol test which found that I have slightly high cortisol at 5pm and definitely too high before bed. It's fine in the morning. So now I target late afternoon and evening with:
- Ashwaganda
- Holy basil
- PSP (phosphatidylserine)
- Rhodiola
- Relora (made by NOW supplements)

Those are all cortisol reducing and stress balancing supplements.

I increased my estrogen to try to get it to between 400-600pmol. Since I absorb transdermally really badly, this means I am now on 10 pumps of gel. Which is ridiculous. But thank god for the Newson Clinic who helped me get this high when my own GP thought I should be fine on 3 pumps and levels around 230pmol.

And then I also take inositol, glycine and Lions Mane extract in my hot drinks twice a day, plus 1hr before bed I take 100mg of apigenin, 5mg of melatonin and 3000mg of taurine and magnesium l-threonate. Then 300mg of utrogestan just before bed.

I still have nights where things are bad, but usually only 2-3 in a row and then it's bearable again. I have trazodone prescribed by my GP and will take 50mg if I haven't fallen asleep about 2 hours after going to bed.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 10:55:03 PM »

Pumpkin seeds?!   I never heard of that but have a bag in my pantry and Will have some before bed tonight.   Thank you!!

Hi SadieLou, pumpkin seeds are a natural source of tryptophan, an amino acid that promotes sleep.  They also contain magnesium and zinc, which are good for / help with sleep.

Pumpkin seeds also have a lot of other health benefits.

It's best to soak them first, for better digestion. I put a handful in a glass of water in the morning, then slightly before bed I will give them a rinse and eat them, then drink my camomile tea.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 11:01:18 PM »

I did a 4 point saliva cortisol test which found that I have slightly high cortisol at 5pm and definitely too high before bed. It's fine in the morning. So now I target late afternoon and evening with:
- Ashwaganda
- Holy basil
- PSP (phosphatidylserine)
- Rhodiola
- Relora (made by NOW supplements)

Those are all cortisol reducing and stress balancing supplements.

Hi Joziel

Where did you get the cortisol test from/done?

I would love to get one done as I'm very stressed and would love to know my levels.

I didn't know the levels would fluctuate throughout the day though.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2024, 08:09:21 AM »

Cortisol is I believe the 'waking' hormone.  It's also an alert hormone. 

My sleep is interrupted by busy, long, involved dreams  >:(

NHS:  What is cortisol in the body NHS?

Cortisol deficiency | Great Ormond Street Hospital

This is the body's natural steroid and has three main functions: helping to control the blood sugar level. helping the body deal with stress. helping to control blood pressure and blood circulation.

South Tees Hospital:

Cortisol is the most abundant circulating steroid and the major glucocorticoid secreted by the adrenal cortex. Physiologically effective in anti-inflammatory activity and blood pressure maintenance, cortisol is involved in gluconeogenesis, calcium absorption and the secretion of gastric acid and pepsin.

Any1 undergoing tests  for Cushings or Addisons Disease should be off oestrogen treatment for at least 6 weeks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 08:15:05 AM by CLKD »

joziel

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2024, 08:03:04 AM »

Violet you can get the cortisol test done in a few places privately. Medichecks do one but my results there were n oh email and it wasn’t very accurate. Then I did one with Geneva via Thyroid UK as my practitioner.  You don’t need to be a thyroid patient. Take a look at Thyroid UK website for more info.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2024, 03:47:27 PM »

Thank you Joziel
Pages: [1] 2