Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Struggling at work  (Read 394 times)

ernie567

Struggling at work
« on: April 28, 2024, 09:22:17 PM »

I work full time and recently things have taken a nose dive.

I struggle to understand what I'm doing, to understand what people need from me, I can't motivate myself, I have absolutely no interest in the work. I have to keep working due to financial commitments and have no significant other to help with finances. I'm 60 and have been on HRT for about 10 years.

My manager has been sympathetic and has offered support, but has still said I am going to be under a performance review and that  I need to perform better. I've explained the issues I have with my menopause (brain fog, forgetfulness, anxiety) and that I'm on HRT.

What I don't understand, though, is why am I suffering from these symptoms despite being on HRT? I've tried different doses over the years and I'm not sure what I'm on at the moment is having an effect - or is it and I've just checked out of working - full stop.
I think my boss struggles with my assertions that:
  • My hormones are affecting me because of the menopause
  • This is affecting my performance at work
  • I'm taking HRT and replacing those hormones that are missing - so why isn't that improving my performance?

What can I do? Any advice?
It's just so miserable, I dread every working day.

AngelaH

Re: Struggling at work
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 09:27:40 AM »

Hello Ernie567,

Sorry to hear about your suffering, I went through similar experience not long ago.

From my own experience I think that a lot of things depend on the company you work for. I found to deal with managers wasn’t really enough, this is why I approached HR and asked for help them. By the law you should be treated as a person with disabilities, your company should make for you any reasonable adjustments to help you with your work. I did before work, which required high concentration, I realised that I wasn’t capable to do it anymore, so I asked the HR to move me within the company to a different job, which more suited me. “To be under a performance” is a quite serious thing, so to avoid it I changed my position. I also cut my working hours because I felt doing full time could kill me. Unfortunately retirement age moves more and more far away from us, so a lot of us will find ourselves working to nearly the age of 70.  :-\

Ours bodies go through changes all the time, post meno doesn’t mean stability, they’re some changes, which still continue to go. It is possible HRT should be adjusted from time to time. It looks like your current regime doesn’t work for you. Another reason, from my non professional point of view, is weaker bodies receptors. They get tired as well, or just losing their strength for accepting hormones.

I wish you the best and I hope you will find the right solution for both your work and HRT.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 09:39:34 AM by AngelaH »

Nas

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 10:35:45 AM »

Hi Ernie567,
You have had some great advaice and food for thought from AngelaH and I am inclined to agree with everthing she has said.

As we age, I guess we lack the capacity to be 'top of our game' all the time and if you are not enjoying the work, that can make things doubly hard. Would it be possible to get in touch with HR and let them know you are strugling? Could you cut your hours?
Or, if you are not enjoying the job, see if there is something else within the company or even look for a different role, elsewhere which would suit you better?

Defintely re visit your HRT regime. It may be that you need a higher dose or a different regime altogether? HRT is a moving target, as is the menopause (in my experience!).

Best of luck.
Life is too short to be miserable in work. Start to formulate a plan, to see how things could be improved for you.

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 10:39:39 AM »

T’oldlass

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 08:11:31 AM »

Hi. I’m a perimenopausal social worker and a team manager and I manage 5 other perimenopausal social workers. I see it from both sides. Like the OP, I worry day whether I’m up to the job itself - I can’t remember things, seem to have constant anxiety, palpatations, lightheadedness, insomnia, etc etc etc, all of which cause me to question myself and my job as they do the other ladies in my team. And that’s with HRT! They also question whether they are good enough for the job. We have a difficult job without going through the bloody menopause ffs as do a lot of other women these days. It’s not like in my granny’s day any more!

Reasonable adjustments are very important and if your manager is not clued up, then ensure you speak with HR.  We work for a local authority who has a good understanding and menopause support networks for us to use but I imagine that not everyone working in the private sector has these. But equally as important as the support from an employer, is what we can do to help ourselves also

HRT doesn’t cure anything-it just keeps some symptoms at bay but if you’ve noticed some changes or certain symptoms have flared up again then it might be time to review your HRT with your GP. There may be other meds that can help alongside your HRT.  Citalopram has been a Godsend for me, alongside my HRT to help with anxiety. Mediation or finding other women to talk to via support groups might also help if you find the medication isn’t enough on its own.

If you’re under a performance review before a discussion of reasonable adjustments has been made then I would defo speak to HR and if you’re in a union, consult with them also. And again, see your doctor.

Will you post again with updates? Would I love to know how you get on.

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 08:17:53 AM »

:thankyou:   T'oldlass .   

If U are busy in the NHS do you time to eat/drink?  I [medical secretary on the go 24/7] carried chocolate and biscuits in my white coat pockets every day which helped ease that awful dip = nausea.  U R 'up' to your Job as you have a well rehearsed skill base.  Social working isn't easy, ever. 

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 08:01:17 PM »

:thankyou:   T'oldlass .   

If U are busy in the NHS do you time to eat/drink?  I [medical secretary on the go 24/7] carried chocolate and biscuits in my white coat pockets every day which helped ease that awful dip = nausea.  U R 'up' to your Job as you have a well rehearsed skill base.  Social working isn't easy, ever.

I am pleased that you managed to ease your enxiety CLKD though must confess to being surprised that "white coats" were deemed necessary attire for secretaries of any description.