Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cholesterol  (Read 776 times)

star35

Cholesterol
« on: April 26, 2024, 09:41:29 AM »

Hi has anyone managed to reduce their cholesterol with out taking statins, if so how did you manage it.

Taz2

Re: Cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 10:43:14 AM »

Hi. I talked this over with my GP recently as my cholesterol is 5.9 with a 15% chance of stroke or heart attack in the next ten years  We looked at my diet and it seems that it would take up to a year or more to bring about enough changes as, apart from wine and chocolate, the rest of my diet is good. I'm 70 though and a year at this age seems to be a big portion of whatever time might be left.  ;D I have my statins but haven't started them yet. Will do that tonight! How is your diet? Is there lots you can cut out such as cheese, butter, cream, ice cream, alcohol, chocolate? Also upping exercise is important too

Taz x

star35

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 10:47:20 AM »

Hi Taz thank you for your reply, my gp said it would probably take me six months to make a difference. I'm going to spend the weekend looking at my diet, over all it is pretty good but there is a lot I can cut out.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 12:08:39 PM »

We were amazed that statins were suggested about 5 years ago.  Especially as GPs get 'extra' for prescribing them.  It began when I had blood tests and the new GP freaked out as my cholesterol was 7, had been for over 15 years.  She was quite scathing about our usual GP  >:(. DH decided to trial dropping by diet, I rejected statins initially until we had spoken to our GP.

Apparently: the levels for prescribing statins had been dropped to a lower level!  Go figure.  We both take them for a quiet life  ::) without problems.

It really is up to you.  Is there a risk of stroke in your family?  How old R U, may I ask.  [we are both 70]

It would be a brave medic to wrest chocolate from me  ;D

star35

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 01:13:06 PM »

Hi CLKD, I'm 63 and no history of family heart problems or stroke I just want to do some research before making my mind up. I might give diet a go for 6 months and reconsider if nothing has changed. Thanks for replying.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 02:21:42 PM »

This statins milarky is so contentious. If its genetic there is not much you can do about it even if you have the most boring tasteless healthy food with plenty of exercise it doesn't do a damn thing to reduce the numbers, that's my story.
I can't take statins, I've tried them all and they had a good go at trying to kill me of, I await my fate!
My friend popped in the other day, a middle aged extremely large lady boasting her cholesterol was 3, I was very jealous!

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 03:59:03 PM »

Ayesha my ex husband has cholesterol of 4,  is not overweight with great blood pressure and eats all of the wrong stuff cholesterol-wise. However he still had a TIA last year with no reason found. He is now on statins despite the low level. He's a puzzle to the medical staff apparently. Just goes to show the figures don't always add up. :-\

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2024, 04:41:48 PM »

'eats the wrong stuff' - might be the clue Taz?

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2024, 05:00:35 PM »

What I mean is, yes he does eat chocolate and occasionally cheese and has a pint or two but his cholesterol level is always 4 yet he still had a mini stroke.

Taz x

Gnatty

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2024, 05:43:01 PM »

I don't know if it's true but I read half of all heart attacks occur in people with normal/ low cholesterol!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2024, 06:01:57 PM »

It may be unrelated then, some people have thin veins = mini strokes. 

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2024, 06:09:51 PM »

I don't know if it's true but I read half of all heart attacks occur in people with normal/ low cholesterol!

I think that's because heart attack is not always due to blood clots/furred arteries whereas stroke is more likely to have that as the cause?

CLKD his carotid arteries in the neck where the 'clot' got stuck are totally unfurred. The consultant was a bit surprised  ;D

getting_old

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2024, 06:34:57 PM »

I think the issue with all statistics is that they totally depend on how they're calculated and how they're presented, and also which category you fall into. If I'm told I have a 90% chance of having heart problems due to high cholesterol what's to say I'm not in the 10% that doesn't?

When it comes to lowering cholesterol a lot depends on the reason why it's high. If diet is bad then changing it may help, same with exercising and losing weight, but if it's genetic then nothing may help.

A few years ago the doctor said my cholesterol was "off the scale". I can't remember the figures. Despite such high numbers she didn't seem too worried but suggested I could try losing weight. I had a test 3 months later and was told it was normal! At that point she did say I could try statins if I wanted to, but said it would be better to increase good cholesterol to combat any bad.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 07:27:42 PM »

It can get confusing. At my age risk is based on a combination of cholesterol, blood pressure and weight. I did have the cholesterol and BP checked just after having had covid (again) and there is discussion as to whether covid causes both to rise so who knows.

Taz x

getting_old

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2024, 08:03:11 PM »

My high reading was a few years before covid, so not related to that, but probably means there are various factors that can cause an incorrect result.
Pages: [1] 2