Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New and looking for advice  (Read 625 times)

Hannahlou

• First Flush
New and looking for advice
« on: April 22, 2024, 10:58:27 AM »

Good morning

This is my first post so I will introduce myself. My name is Hannah, I’m 55 in July and I think been in perimenopause for about 3 years. I know I’m on the older side and I thought I would be finished with all this by now 🙄. No such luck.

Before perimenopause my periods were every 3 weeks or so, give or take a few days and were very heavy for the first 2 days, to the point I couldn’t leave the house.

Now, they can be anything from 14-37 and much lighter. The last few months have been really odd for me. February I had a period that started on day 24 and lasted 7 days.

Mine usually start slowly with a few days of brown discharge and finish in the same way. I then had nothing for 37 days.

I started with brown discharge then and expected another period to arrive, but it didn’t. All I had was 10 days of brown discharge and only needed pantyliners.

So that brings us to this month, when another period started on day 26, with 3 days of brown discharge beforehand. This did develop into bright red bleeding you’d expect from a period. It lasted 7 days. I was hoping I may go for some time then without anything (I pray for this every month to give me a break from periods). But no, I had a 6 day break and then the brown discharge started on Saturday, so day 14. Took me my surprise and I was very disappointed I’d only managed a 6 day break🥲.  The ‘brown’ is still on going this morning, so day 3. Do I class this as a period if it doesn’t develop into red bleeding?

I also suffer from anxiety/ health anxiety, especially in the early morning time and some digestive issues. Not hot moments or vaginal dryness as yet.

Does all this sound normal for perimenopause? It’s all very confusing and a little stressful not knowing what’s normal and what’s not

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:51:18 AM by Hannahlou »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New and looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 11:22:08 AM »

Hormones  ::).   :welcomemm:  Sounds usual for peri-menopause.  Mine waxed and waned for several years then disappeared.  I carried protection for 5 years on an 'in case' basis  ::)

My periods always finished, 24 hours later I would have a brown show.  Probably due to not enough hormone to push the final blood through and out.  If these 'shows' are cyclical then I would count them as mini-periods as hormone levels drop.

Health anxiety is common on here so you aren't alone.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom dairy of use - diary even  ::).  We talk about everything here, browse round.  Make notes. 

Hannahlou

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 11:29:04 AM »

Thanks for the reply CLKD and for the welcome and reassurance. Nice to know I’m not alone in this. It’s all very confusing at times.

I did have sore boobs, backache and raging PMS before this latest one now, but didn’t know if to class as a period or start to worry a little, as I’d only had 6 days clear, so it started on day 14 of cycle 🙄

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 AM by Hannahlou »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 08:00:24 PM »

U had pre-menstrual symptoms so it's probably cyclical.

If in a couple of months you are worried mayB make an appt to speak to the Nurse practitioner at your Surgery, take that diary with you.  Let us know.  That way you have a base-line from which to work.

Hannahlou

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 08:20:01 PM »

Thanks again CLKD. I shall see how things go. I will start to track and record things so I have the info if needed then

VioletAquarius

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 08:42:27 PM »

It sounds peri menopausal to me.

During peri periods are all over the place, anything from light spotting to heavy floods and/or clots, with the cycle being very short and/or long. Mine were just like this.

Hannahlou

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 02:20:08 PM »

Thanks for your reply VioletAquarius. It seems like anything goes and it can be quite stressful at times. It’s good to know i’m not alone in what I’m experiencing. It does worry me sometimes that in nearly 55 and still not done with all this, but I don’t seem to be alone in that either. Everyone I know my ages is long done and well into menopause

Northerngirl

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 05:17:56 PM »

Hannahlou,  welcome to  MM.  :welcomemm:
Yes I'd say this is all very normal.

There are so many symptoms aren't there....I didn't realise how many there were at the start and I don't think we realise just how much hormones are responsible for within our whole body ....both physical and mentally until they're gone/fluctuating.
You've definitely come to the right forum for any help and advice you may need as these ladies are very knowledgeable...I've learned more from them than any GP.

Hannahlou

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 05:49:34 PM »

Thanks for the welcome Northerngirl. Oh I know. Never really given it much thought until all this weird stuff started happening a few years ago, and new things happen all the time. I’m glad I’ve somewhere to come to for advice. I do have a really great GP. She’s in her late 30’s and really knowledgeable, but she does like to push HRT, and it’s not for everyone is it?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:51:33 PM by Hannahlou »

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 09:43:58 AM »

Perfectly normal for peri, the only thing you can expect is it will all go haywire. If anxiety isn't a long standing issue it'll probably be a meno symptom. Don't worry about age either, some women aren't meno till their early 60s.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 10:01:15 AM »

I will probably forget so:  :hbday: for July

Hannahlou

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 02:19:32 PM »

Perfectly normal for peri, the only thing you can expect is it will all go haywire. If anxiety isn't a long standing issue it'll probably be a meno symptom. Don't worry about age either, some women aren't meno till their early 60s.

Thanks sheila99. It does make me feel so much better knowing I can come on here and get advice from you knowledgeable ladies. I’m so very grateful to you all. Oh things have gone haywire the last couple of months. Sometimes I feel so alone with it all. My grandma was in her early 60’s when she eventually reached menopause. But sadly then passed away with ovarian cancer not long afterwards. I’m not sure of my mother’s experience. She’s not one that talks about that kind of thing.

Thanks so much again ladies

Hannahlou

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 02:20:21 PM »

I will probably forget so:  :hbday: for July

Oh, thank you so much CLKD. You’re made me feel very welcome on here and I already feel much better about things

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 03:38:59 PM »

I believe that there is a blood test for ovarian cancer pointers, there's also the Charity 'ovacome' which is how I arrived here, year++ ago  ::)

It's The Change, does what it says on the tin.

Hannahlou

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2024, 08:07:28 PM »

I believe that there is a blood test for ovarian cancer pointers, there's also the Charity 'ovacome' which is how I arrived here, year++ ago  ::)

It's The Change, does what it says on the tin.

Yes CLKD, You’re right, there is a blood test. My friend had it last year. I wasn’t aware of the charity though. Thanks for all your help 🥰