Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: sinus headaches - allergic rhinitis / hayfever remedies  (Read 275 times)

shrosphirelass

sinus headaches - allergic rhinitis / hayfever remedies
« on: April 22, 2024, 10:29:53 AM »

I have always experienced hormonal headaches but during peri seemed to get a lot more headaches in the spring / early summer. These headaches always felt like sinuses with blocked nose. A friend suggested it may be hayfever. I didn't have traditional symptoms eg sneezing a lot etc, but do get dry eyes and when the pollen is very high a scratchy throat.

I used to take 1 a days in March onwards to try to ward off symptoms and a  steroid nasal spray (over the counter). The problem with those things is that they are drying and don't help with my general dryness. Last year I didn't do the 1 and days and didn't notice any difference, though the weather was pretty awful and the pollen levels were quite low. I had dry eyes yesterday and felt stuffed up and today have woken with a bad headache so I wondered whether to start my nasal spray. It does seem to have helped in the past.

Has anyone tried anything or got any suggestions?

Kit14

Re: sinus headaches - allergic rhinitis / hayfever remedies
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 04:20:49 PM »

I get sinus headaches too and find that saline nasal rinses every other day really help. I also take sea buckthorn supplements which help with nose and eye dryness.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 05:33:29 PM »

I started hrt last January and for the first time in my life started getting hay-fever last spring. I ended up on Avamys,  a prescription steroid nasal spray, after the otc one didn't work . It was very effective and I now only dip in and out of using it, stopped it over winter and was fine. I get the same symptoms as you with dry eyes, scratchy throat and sometimes I also get a little dry cough from the throat irritation. Quote often I'll  find i wake up bunged up in the nose on the side I slept on too. I find the Avamys enough usually, perhaps you should restart or ask the GP to try Avamys.

DottyD68

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 06:28:03 PM »

One of my earliest (unknown at time) symptoms was none(?) allergic rhinitis. I developed a sensitivity to unknown allergens in the air depending on where I was in my cycle. Scented candles, perfumes, cleaning products particularly cause a scratchy throat which sometimes leads to a phlegmy/wheezy throat/cough and sometimes red eye which are all quite distressing. I have dry eye anyway and tak sea buckthorn and hycosan drops/gel.

I take fexofenodine (antihistamine) on a daily basis along wth dymista nasal spray to try and manage it. I also have a blue inhaler for the rare occasions that I become wheezy (which is quite stressful). As you can imagine it makes me anxious attending big social events and I have to remind friends to avoid wearing fragrances when I meet up incase it triggers me off. I am a walking pharmacy!

CrazyD

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 08:04:53 AM »

I struggled for years with sinuses, and migraines. It was only when I stopped HRT for a while that I realised they were connected as both pretty much stopped. I'm now back on a different HRT and I do still get some sinus problems. I take Beconase nasal spray, it doesn't entirely fix things but helps enough that I'm not bothered so much by it. I don't think it's a steroid spray, more of an antihistamine one possibly? Might be worth a try if you've not used it before?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 10:40:19 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried saline in the past but not had much success with it, maybe I don't do it correctly. I like the idea of something natural though.

I generally use Beconase so will go back on that and see how I get on. I would like to try the prescription medicines, always good to have things that have been tried and tested. I'm not sure the drs will give them me and it's almost impossible to get an appointment in any case.

Back to the routine of Vaseline around my nose, wiping down my hair before I go to bed and sunglasses, which feels slightly ridiculous when its 11 degrees outside.

Thanks again.