Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Turn down the offer of a hystersocopy?  (Read 1902 times)

Jules

Re: Turn down the offer of a hystersocopy?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2024, 11:42:59 AM »

I am feeling better thankyou. I obviously had a tiny polyp, but I'm certain that the one off small bleed was due to me increasing the vagifem and ovestin. The doctor thought so too. But when something is seen on a scan it's hard to forget and the polyp maybe could have caused problems down the line but I was very reluctant and very scared of the procedure and what they might find. That level of anxiety is draining.

HellsBells

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2024, 12:04:38 PM »

I refused one - they wanted to check something slightly odd and a polyp. I said no and just had a follow up TV ultrasound after a short time (6-12 mo) and it was clear and had resolved itself. We are all over treated. Because treatment for cancer is so poor and patients are litigious many tests are arse-covering. If you ask for the statistics and make your own decision, or just do watch and wait that is OK. I am not reckless - I have been through two different types of cancer successfully.

Jules

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2024, 09:35:46 PM »

I think my GP knew I wouldn't be able to rest because I get anxious though she did think that when she requested an opinion from the gyny team they would suggest a scan in a few months. They probably followed protocol in asking to see me. The radiologist didn't think it was anything sinister, ny GP said it was highly unlikely, but none are going to say its definitely not. Yes, they're covering their backs because there'll be an occasion when something is missed. I think you've to weigh it up, take consideration of what advice is given,  and be satisfied with your decision knowing you're not going to fret over it.

HellsBells

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2024, 11:58:57 AM »

Exactly Jules - couldn't agree more.

kateJ

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2024, 04:18:14 PM »

Update:

Huge apologies - I said in my OP that my gynae appointment was for the 22/4; it was in fact today and I have just got home.

After a 'tetchy' conversation with a radiographer who was insisting on the protocol of scan first, doctor later, I managed to speak to a very understanding consultant who took a detailed history, and he agreed that I really did not need another scan or hysteroscopy: endometrium of 4.8mm on HRT, bleeding stopped due to changing back to sequi, good general health/weight etc.

I went armed with my own research, knew all my dates of bleeds etc - so he knew I wasn't being irrational.

Thank you again for all your stories and advice. It really did keep me sane.

Jules

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2024, 05:58:49 PM »

Well done. You have to be assertive which is difficult under stress.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2024, 06:02:53 PM »

Well done for standing your ground. I'm glad they listened to you.

Hopeful

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 09:01:18 AM »

Just to say I had no pain or discomfort when I had mine done but I never had any problem with smear tests either. GA would have been much worse for me as it makes my blood pressure plummet and I feel awful.
Not saying you wouldn’t find it painful but please don’t think it is always so and also remember it is quite a quick procedure.
Hope you get things sorted the best way for you

Jules

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 04:27:15 PM »

Just to say I had no pain or discomfort when I had mine done but I never had any problem with smear tests either. GA would have been much worse for me as it makes my blood pressure plummet and I feel awful.
Not saying you wouldn’t find it painful but please don’t think it is always so and also remember it is quite a quick procedure.
Hope you get things sorted the best way for you
I've never had problems with smears, or period pains and had short labours but that test was diabolical and though quick it seemed forever when I was fainting. It shouldn't be a case of try and see. There should be assurance for us all that we will be able to tolerate any discomfort

Dusty Mop

• First Flush
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 05:57:59 PM »

I've had 2 hysteroscopies, including last October because of a thickened womb lining and excessive bleeding. I had a GA both times because I find smear tests excruciating, to the point that I've had to abort them.

The consultant conducting the procedure said I should never have been put on evorel conti, and recommended the coil, which I had fitted at the same time as the hysteroscopy. It's stopped the bleeding, which is great. Consultant agreed that when it's due to be removed, this can also be done under GA if that's what's best for me, and she's put this on my record. Luck of the draw whether you get a supportive consultant, as I didn't get the same offer when I had a previous hysteroscopy.

I worry a lot about medical procedures, but glad I had the hysteroscopy, as I got the all-clear, which gave me peace of mind.

Jules

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2024, 06:16:40 PM »

I've had 2 hysteroscopies, including last October because of a thickened womb lining and excessive bleeding. I had a GA both times because I find smear tests excruciating, to the point that I've had to abort them.

The consultant conducting the procedure said I should never have been put on evorel conti, and recommended the coil, which I had fitted at the same time as the hysteroscopy. It's stopped the bleeding, which is great. Consultant agreed that when it's due to be removed, this can also be done under GA if that's what's best for me, and she's put this on my record. Luck of the draw whether you get a supportive consultant, as I didn't get the same offer when I had a previous hysteroscopy.

I worry a lot about medical procedures, but glad I had the hysteroscopy, as I got the all-clear, which gave me peace of mind.
I would have worried too especially if I'd had another bleed as mine was in my cervix. Just found it traumatic

suzysunday

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2024, 07:37:26 PM »

I had post menopause bleeding and had a hysteroscopy under a GA. My womb lining was 4 and half mm I think.  Then they wanted to do another because they hadn't got enough to test. I refused outright. The gynaecologist was not happy.  My bleeding had stopped so that gave me confidence to refuse. 

jayneaddo

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2024, 07:36:20 AM »

I have had lots of bleeding during the years on HRT and lots of investigations. I have had 6 hysteroscopies and some have been fine but the recent ones have been very difficult and I would not want another if I can help it

Jules

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2024, 09:33:24 AM »

There are investigative or treatment procedures that are not pleasant but tolerable with appropriate analgesia.  I don't think it's appropriate to offer no analgesia, in my case the mentioned gas and air didn't even appear. It's not appropriate to try and see either. I'm going to pursue it until I get a response I feel satisfied with and I definitely wouldn't have that again without GA. The nurse told me that the water they spray in can cause cramping but also that the doctor had to grip my cervix to rub off the polyp.
Pages: 1 [2]