Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Esomeprazole and side effects  (Read 469 times)

Patchsmama

Esomeprazole and side effects
« on: April 19, 2024, 03:23:36 PM »

Hello Everyone

Just wondered whether anyone can offer any help/advice.

I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and reflux a year ago and was told to take esomeprazole twice a day for 6 months then reduce. 

Just before I reduced, I was starting to get palpitations which I thought might be due to the esomeprazole. After I reduced, to one per day, the palpitations disappeared.

I’ve been on one per day since then and a few weeks ago, the palpitations started again, along with muscle twitching as I lay in bed at night. On googling, I thought it sounded like low magnesium so I tried to reduce the esomeprazole to every other day. Of course, I now have reflux symptoms  :: but the palpitations have stopped sling eith the twitching.  I’ve tried gavison, being more upright, not eating late etc but without much effect. Plus, it’s probably not helping worrying about it.

I know I’m going to have to go back to the GP, but they’re not very good at my surgery.  When I asked about low magnesium side effects last September the nurse practitioner told me I wouldn’t be able to walk due to tiredness if that was the case. I am tired but not to that extent.

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and what they’ve done. Thanks so much.

Penguin

Re: Esomeprazole and side effects
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 03:53:15 PM »

Magnesium is very easy and safe to supplement,  could you try doing that and see if it helps? I take magnesium glycinate in the evening, it's very calming, plus use magnesium body butter on my legs. Different types of magnesium do different things, for example magnesium malate is energising so you take in the morning, and threonate is good for cogmition and brain health.
I wonder also if doing alternate days of the ppi isn't helping, if the reflux is due to the hernia then it is a functional problem rather than  transient and you may need to continue on it, but perhaps you can get it in a lower dose?

Patchsmama

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 03:56:43 PM »

Magnesium is very easy and safe to supplement,  could you try doing that and see if it helps? I take magnesium glycinate in the evening, it's very calming, plus use magnesium body butter on my legs. Different types of magnesium do different things, for example magnesium malate is energising so you take in the morning, and threonate is good for cogmition and brain health.
I wonder also if doing alternate days of the ppi isn't helping, if the reflux is due to the hernia then it is a functional problem rather than  transient and you may need to continue on it, but perhaps you can get it in a lower dose?

Thank you, Penguin.  I think I will definitely need to continue on it. I bought some magnesium supplements (from Tesco) this week and started taking them a couple of days ago. I also read about the body butter. I’m a bit scared of overdosing but I just want to feel better.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 04:00:42 PM »

You won't overdose with the body body. And need to look at the elemental amount of magnesium on the bottle of anyag supplement as that is the amount you actually get. The element amount will read as a lot lower than the total amount. I take 400mg per day, 300mg in the evening and 100mg in the morning. For me, stress burns through magnesium really quickly.

JoannFran

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 06:07:30 PM »

Hi

I also have a HH and reflux. And I suffer from palpitations.  I do know there is a connection between the stomach and palps.  I feel them as missed beats (ectopic) how do you feel yours?

Strangely I took a 30mg Lansoprazole today (usually take 15mg) and my palpitations (ectopics) have been really bad.  Never thought it could be connected to that but wondering now you've said it, if it's to do with the higher dose?

I also take Magnesium Glycinate - 400mg per day (usually at night).  My reflux symptoms wax and wane, I'm currently trying symprove.  Anxiety and stress definitely make it worse.

NHS website says PPIs can cause magnesium to deplete.  Take a good quality magnesium.  I have one from pure encapsilations (it's expensive, around £30 per tub) but a nutritionist recommended it).    I've also read that if you use a spray magnesium or body butter, if you're skin itches it means you're low in magnesium.

Patchsmama

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 07:24:01 PM »

Hi JoannFran

Many thanks for your response. I really wish they’d warn us what to look out for. My palpitations are definitely like ectopics, they just feel unpleasant.  I’m sure that esomeprazole comes only in 20mg.
I’m going to go back to that disease tomorrow to try to get the reflux back under control, but will take magnesium supplements with it.  See what happens then.  I’m guessing my anxiety isn’t helping it.  I don’t have any itching skin but something to bear in mind xx

Patchsmama

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 09:40:40 AM »

Well….  Yesterday I spoke with the pharmacist just to get some advice regarding the esomeprazole, as we are told to do these days.  Her response was … have you got a date for surgery for the hiatus hernia repair?!!!  Needless to say, this set my health anxiety into hyper. I thought surgery was a last resort.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 09:58:18 AM »

That's the problem with some1 not familiar with our medical history.  Was that all that she suggested?

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become. lax = aches and pains, including the digestive tract relaxing which may cause reflux.  Hiatus hernia is common during perimenopause but can be controlled with appropriate antacids.

I have never been aware of palpitations.  mayB stop the Esomeprazole and try good old 'milk of magnesia' liquid .  Or 'Rennies' which may be enough to control symptoms.  Reflux for me is out of the blue  >:( and isn't related to food stuffs though it may be due to. my eating too quickly sometimes  ::)

When do U take it?

Patchsmama

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 10:28:17 AM »

Thanks CLKD. I have tried Gaviscon but it doesn’t really work, tried all the raising the bed head, not eating before bed etc.  it affects me more as a laryngopharyngeal reflux rather than heartburn. So I get post nasal drip, cough, etc.  Her only other response was make a GP appointment  🙄.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 10:56:22 AM »

I've had allergic rhinitis since the 1970s ........ 'gaviscon'  :-X  :sick02:  ;D

Ayesha

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 11:07:26 AM »

It can take two months for PPI's to work when you first start to take them so best to stay on them until your symptoms are better. Once you get the reflux under control you can then try to reduce the dose, but its important to carry on with treatment until then.
Supplements are also important to consider if taking PPI's for the long term and yes, magnesium is great if you can take it, my delicate stomach said no and made my reflux worse, bear that in mind as you trial and error your symptom control.

Operations for hiatus hernias are only carried out if the hernia is a certain size, can't remember what that size has to be.
Hope you feel better soon, Patchsmama and try not to worry, the world and his wife are on PPI's, you are not alone!

Patchsmama

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 11:43:56 AM »

Thank you Ayesha. My Dad was on them for years and never had a problem. I know they have to publish risks etc. but it’s scary when you start reading them.

I’ve been on and off them for around 4 years, GPs would not believe the postnasal drip was reflux until I had an endoscopy and the hiatus hernia was found. The details are in my original post but I’ve now put myself back onto them every day and magnesium supplements in the hope I can get back to where I was with no untoward effects.

I don’t think we appreciated how lucky we were in our 20/30s when we were all fit and healthy. Xx

Patchsmama

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2024, 11:45:14 AM »

I've had allergic rhinitis since the 1970s ........ 'gaviscon'  :-X  :sick02:  ;D

I know I’m a bit weird but I love gaviscon. Could glug it out of the bottle 🤣. Memories of pregnancy 🤣

JoannFran

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2024, 02:13:59 PM »

Ha ha!  I also like gaviscon but only the aniseed one.  Also found that the advance one is better for me.  Have you tried diaphragm breathing?  My gastro dr told me to give it a go because it can sometimes really help.  I keep forgetting to do it though.

I've been on and off PPIs for years and years but usually at the 15mg dose.  I am wondering if the ectopics could be a symptom of the reflux not the drug?  The ectopics could also just be good old perimenopause symptoms!!  Hard to know what's causing what at this time.

If I though surgery would cure my reflux problems, I'd have it in a heartbeat, but the dr said it's not big enough.  Think the hernia needs to be over 6cm and also not sure how successful the surgery is. xxxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2024, 03:38:36 PM »

:madeyes:  gaviscon   :madeyes: .........  :barf:
Pages: [1] 2