Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Update regarding painful hysteroscopy  (Read 666 times)

Jules

Update regarding painful hysteroscopy
« on: April 19, 2024, 12:49:44 PM »

I wanted to let you know I've had a reply from my MP, I also  actually bumped into her so had a quick chat. She's offered to contact the minister involved for an update, raise a parliamentary question and also contact the local NHS Trust to find out how they're implementing the good practice guidance published by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.  When I checked my consent form that was hurriedly presented to me for signing, the statement about me understanding "I will/will not be given local anaesthesia " hadn't even been crossed out appropriately.  It wasn't even discussed. It's taken a few nights to stop having flashbacks to that experience.

buffy26

Re: Update regarding painful hysteroscopy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 01:24:49 PM »

Good to have an MP thats a woman and can bring this up in Parliament. Those new guidelines recently published about bleeding are a long read and not that clear, well to me, they weren't, as a non medic but wonder if they will be well digested and acted on correctly. Your experience definitely should not have happened in that way

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 01:35:14 PM »

The trouble being that parliament works so slow and it will be a long time before anything is implemented, but it wont be the first time that this subject has been raised and that's a benefit.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 02:41:46 PM »

Anything that raises awareness has to be good.

HellsBells

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 03:18:31 PM »

This is just dreadful - consent isn't enough - informed consent is what is required legally. Such a lack of accountability in the NHS. SO much negligence.

Jules

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 04:13:05 PM »

I should have asked more specific questions but I was so scared and had been so anxious about what they'd find that I just went along with it to get it over with. I didn't realise how bad it would be. All I can do is pass on my experience. 

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 04:15:32 PM »

If they'd gone through their forms with you properly, they'd have covered the bit about anaesthesia,  this is not on you and not your fault!

HellsBells

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 05:12:59 PM »

They have a duty to make sure you are fully informed otherwise your consent is not valid. Don't blame yourself. They are well aware of the issues.

Jules

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 07:00:45 PM »

I think it's a case of getting through the appointments for them isn't it. They were already behind.  She told me afterwards that some women don't feel it.  Hopefully me raising it again will bring it to the forefront again.

Jules

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 10:21:28 AM »

I've had a letter to tell me no cancer was found so I've been discharged.  Good news. It's a quick turnaround.  I'm still waiting to hear from my stomach one from 5 months ago.

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 11:12:38 AM »

Hello ladies.

I agree that it is an unfortunate state of affairs but I can't see things changing anytime soon.

I know the waiting room was packed when I went for my last scan and with all those women to get through I suppose the staff needed to get on with it.
 Maybe any type of sedation takes longer and some may need a Dr to attend. All of that adds time and staff pressure.
It really doesn't matter what is on the form, they are only words and if the clinic needs to get through lots of appointments asap then they are going to press on. Of course the staff are going to say that some women don't feel a thing, they have to say that otherwise they will be admitting that that they willingly inflict pain on us.
At an appointment a while ago I had an examination and I told the Consultant that my Hysteroscopy was painful and he said that should not have been the case. Apparently there is an effective numbing cream and other topical treatments that should be used. He seemed surprised that didn't happen. Well I wasn't surprised and perhaps next time he can attend and make sure that 'best practice ' is actually implemented.
Sorry to be so cynical ladies but corners are often cut in many services and industries and this is just another one of them.

Take care ladies.

K.

Jules

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 12:16:30 PM »

I was reminded today of the doctors who raised concerns about Lucy Letby and were made to apologise to her.  If individuals daren't highlight discrepancies .......!   The whole service needs overhauling but how long would that take?

Northerngirl

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 12:19:42 PM »

I've had a letter to tell me no cancer was found so I've been discharged.  Good news. It's a quick turnaround.  I'm still waiting to hear from my stomach one from 5 months ago.
That's great news Jules. I know you've been through a lot lately ....onwards and upwards now hopefully. Have you tried finding out about your stomach biopsy? My brother in law had similar....he waited for results of a brain scan and never got the result. I wonder if the results are just sitting on someone's laptop and forgotten about.  Take care Jules

Jules

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 12:26:18 PM »

Yes I wrote to the consultant 2 months ago and he said he'd get them but I've not heard from him since.  My GP recently said she would write to him. I'm waiting to know the surveillance plan. It's so poor.

fiftyplus

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 08:22:23 PM »

Great news Jules.  Take care xx
Pages: [1] 2