Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Amitryptline  (Read 5088 times)

Penguin

Re: Amitryptline
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2024, 06:49:30 PM »

I've never taken this drug, but just to let you know you can get it prescribed in liquid form if you want to taper slower. Thos is what I am going to do with my citalopram.

My understanding is that you can only obtain any liquid form having seen a psychiatrist/consultant but would like to think otherwise ?

I weaned off low dose amitriptyline for pain very gradually years ago but had not been using it for as long as 2 years.  Bought a pill cutter which helped.

Ah now that I don't know. I would hope it is possible for a GP to prescribe given they are the ones usually to put us on these meds. You can taper much slower with liquid. Another question I will ask and feed back next week!

Penguin

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2024, 06:58:24 PM »

This has info about tapering off antidepressants and says it reflects the NICE guidelines as of March 2024. Talks about how to taper / taper plans and use of liquid when explaining how to get down to really low doses. Apparently some people need to go super low, like 2%, before stopping. I can't see how on earth you could do that with a tablet. Discogirl I think you need to argue your case quite strongly for using liquid.

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mental-health/treatments-and-wellbeing/stopping-antidepressants

shrosphirelass

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2024, 07:31:19 PM »

I may have slept a bit better when on it but no massive improvement. I do issues with sleep. I was concerned about my sleep being worse when I came off it, but it wasn't greatly affected.

discogirl

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2024, 05:54:58 AM »

This has info about tapering off antidepressants and says it reflects the NICE guidelines as of March 2024. Talks about how to taper / taper plans and use of liquid when explaining how to get down to really low doses. Apparently some people need to go super low, like 2%, before stopping. I can't see how on earth you could do that with a tablet. Discogirl I think you need to argue your case quite strongly for using liquid.

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mental-health/treatments-and-wellbeing/stopping-antidepressants

Hi Penguin

Thanks so much for this information, it's a massive help.

and yes, I want to taper off slowly as its wiser but as you say I would really need the meds in liquid form to do that.

I shall make an appt to see my gp.

thanks again for this penguin x

discogirl

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2024, 05:56:37 AM »

I may have slept a bit better when on it but no massive improvement. I do issues with sleep. I was concerned about my sleep being worse when I came off it, but it wasn't greatly affected.

Hi shropshirelass,

I'm thinking if I taper slowly that should help as well.

I,m hoping the same about my sleep as well x

discogirl

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2024, 06:40:40 AM »

Hi penguin

Just looked at the attachment, its really good with lots of information.

The tapering plans seem quite complicated, might just be me, but seems a lot to get my head around x

Penguin

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2024, 06:44:38 AM »

Hi penguin

Just looked at the attachment, its really good with lots of information.

The tapering plans seem quite complicated, might just be me, but seems a lot to get my head around x

Yeah I thought that too. I don't think you need to do all the calculations though. The key is to keep is small and then hold for a period of time. I will ask the psych next week and then message you as I'll be going through same thing. I haven't looked up the half life either citalopram or amitriptyline and I think that'll influence things too. A long half life = withdrawal starting later so may need a longer hold period. Happy to help you work it all out of you like, we can learn together!

Minusminnie

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2024, 06:50:41 AM »

Looked up this morning and you can crush the amitriptyline tablets which may not taste too good but a way possibly of taking smaller and smaller doses ?  Worth asking GP about ?

Hope i'm wrong re how to obtain a liquid form but a liquid form of a different drug was not being offered by a GP for a family member.  It came from seeing a consultant.

Hope your appointment goes well for you on the 23rd Penquin.

discogirl

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2024, 07:55:49 AM »

Penguin - Thanks for all the information it really is much appreciated x

Minusminnie - I will ask my gp about the liquid form if I can't then I will maybe try and cut them, I was wondering about crushing them but i want to try and get as accurate a dosage as I can. Worth a try I suppose though x

CrispyChick

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2024, 08:06:01 AM »

Hi. Just scanning this thread.

I recently got liquid escitalopram through my GP  to aid in my increasing. Not gone there yet, but that's another story.

I never even had an appointment I just asked as a special prescription request - no problem.

I can't see why it would be a big deal. It's the same med.

discogirl

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2024, 08:10:54 AM »

Hi Crispychick

I will definately ask, when I get to speak to my gp.

It will just be easier in my withdrawing.

Thanks so much for your help x

Hollyboll

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2024, 08:11:46 AM »

Shouldn’t be a big deal …
Liquid costs more, so many GPs won’t do it - especially when they don’t understand/ believe it’s important- cos it goes outside budget  :(

Xx

discogirl

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2024, 08:49:12 AM »

Your so right Hollyboll, all comes down to money with gp's now.

CrispyChick

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2024, 03:29:29 PM »

Ah ok.  ::)

I was lucky then. I'm not normally lucky as here in Scotland  prescriptions are free and it often feels we get less access to meds because of that.

Ok. Push your case discogirl. Just tell them you absolutely cannot get off them trying with tablets. Surely it's cheaper in the long run to have you off the drug  :o

discogirl

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2024, 03:43:42 PM »

Hi Crispychick

I would have thought the same that in the long run its cheaper to have me off the meds but who knows with the NHS these days. My gp is lovely so I hopefully speak to him tomorrow. Thank you xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3