Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: The bloat  (Read 8854 times)

JosieJo55

• First Flush
The bloat
« on: April 10, 2024, 04:55:08 PM »

Hi, new here,
Wanted a forum I can ask about supplements that might help with bloatedness.
I’ve tackled most things naturally so far. Brain fog and aching joints with magnesium glycinate. The brain fog went almost immediately and within a week my ankles and hips felt much more flexible again. Then the sweating started to increase and it was off and on all night. I tried menopace without much change then tried sage and after 4-5 weeks and they stopped completely.
The only thing I cannot seems to get to calm down is my tummy. It’s ultra reactive and bloated. It’s starts off ok but as the day goes by it cramps and bloats. It feels like it’s pulling internally. I’ve had everything checked plus it started as my periods went erratic. It calmed to a degree since they stopped altogether but it’s still a regular occurrence by the evening and often wakes me up. 
I exercise daily to try and help the situation as it’s better if I’m active. If I’m at work it cramps on and off as I sit all day, once I walk home it eases off and starts up again once I sit in the evening.
Any solutions, supplements, exercises??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: The bloat
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 05:01:47 PM »

Hi!  Many find that during peri they become intolerant of in particular, alcohol  :o  ::) as well as other foodstuffs that were well tolerated.

Hormones can certainly affect the digestive system, top to bottom.  Certainly within 10 mins of a bleed I would have to dash to the loo with 'the runs', even if a period wasn't due  >:(.  I would sometimes be extremely thirsty in the days leading to a bleed, as well as nauseous.

In recent years I've had to alter my diet drastically - I found that processed foods upset my bowel actions so gradually we have cut out a lot of shop bought cake, biscuits, processed anything at all.  Slow transit is still problematic especially if we are travelling.   ::). U may find that taking a note of what you eat/drink for 3-4 days and when, will give you an idea if hormones have caused any sensitivity - rarely allergic reactions as these would be more drastic and U would certainly know.

Often I have problems from mid-afternoon, we haven't yet worked out why I feel very windy and bloated to the extent that I am unable to eat 'tea'.  Having to wait until later in the evening, often 4-5 hours B4 I am able to face food. 

We have threads about most things: books, hobbies, exercise ....... and menopause.  Let us know how U get on, browse round; make notes ;-). Ask away.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 06:00:28 PM »

Deflatine I used to take.
I’ll have to get some myself, I’ve had terrible bloat lately.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 06:18:38 PM »

Have you developed any food intolerances? I became intolerant to lactose in peri, and can no longer eat wheat or gluten or I get painful wind. Although bread in France seems to be okay as it is milled a different way.

I also use Rennie Deflatine when needed, different to normal rennies and designed for wind, trapped gas, bloating.

I find yoga helps digestion. You could also look at herbal teas. Mint tea is good, although not if you also have reflux!

Are your bowels okay? Because what you are describing sounds like ibs with the cramping and that can either be with constipation, diarrhoea or mixed. If it could be that then worth looking up the FODMAP diet as a short term approach and slowly add things back in so you can see what triggers you.

Finally, do you take hrt? Because the progesterone phase really effects me and I find my tummy is so much better when I'm just on the estrogen part.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 07:55:19 PM »

In 1995 I was given peppermint tea after surgery, the Nurse wouldn't give me the recipe  ::).  It's certainly worked for me.

Because my bowel feels full most of the while, even after I've 'been', I have to tick the days when I 'go' on the calendar in the bathroom otherwise I forget  :-\ :-X

Let us know how you get on.

JosieJo55

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 05:15:08 AM »

Thanks all.
My bowels are fine, regular and comfortable so in my opinion it’s not ibs. Recently cut out processed foods, red meat and dairy as husband watching his cholesterol so I’ve changed what we eat. Not really helped much tbh. I take peppermint oil before bed to help it stay calm overnight and that helps to a degree. I’ve bought some deflatine so going to revisit that over next few days after my evening meal see if it helps keep the bloat under control. 
If I could crack that I’d feel like I was winning because to be honest, don’t shoot me, I’m enjoying having no periods it’s an absolute joy.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 07:06:07 AM »

I'm with U JosieJo55  8)

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 08:09:02 AM »

Thanks all.
My bowels are fine, regular and comfortable so in my opinion it’s not ibs. Recently cut out processed foods, red meat and dairy as husband watching his cholesterol so I’ve changed what we eat. Not really helped much tbh. I take peppermint oil before bed to help it stay calm overnight and that helps to a degree. I’ve bought some deflatine so going to revisit that over next few days after my evening meal see if it helps keep the bloat under control. 
If I could crack that I’d feel like I was winning because to be honest, don’t shoot me, I’m enjoying having no periods it’s an absolute joy.

Wondering if taking a digestive enzyme before meals may help you, that's what I do now, helps the things that don't work so well in meno work better. I've always used one by Life Extension but recently switched to Wild Nutrition,  which has much lower amounts of enzymes and it is amazing. That would definitely help if it is anything food or digestion related. One before each main meal, and it does have to be before, it needs to be the first thing to hit your stomach.

JosieJo55

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM »

Thanks all.

Wondering if taking a digestive enzyme before meals may help you, that's what I do now, helps the things that don't work so well in meno work better. I've always used one by Life Extension but recently switched to Wild Nutrition,  which has much lower amounts of enzymes and it is amazing. That would definitely help if it is anything food or digestion related. One before each main meal, and it does have to be before, it needs to be the first thing to hit your stomach.

Thanks I’ve tried a digestive enzymes too, tried most things tbh. Not tried Wild Nutrition though so will have a look at that one. I do appreciate your input, thanks so much

JosieJo55

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 07:57:01 PM »

So I’ve revisited deflatine, digestive enzymes and simeticone products along with peppermint oil on and off since posting. Finding 2 simeticone after my evening meal takes a good hour to work but it does settle it to a degree especially if I eat nothing else before bed. I then take a peppermint oil just before sleep and it has more often than not kept my tummy much calmer and less bloated overnight. It’s not perfect because ultimately I’d like it just to go away but if it’s a case of managing it then it’s going to be a balancing act until such time I have it under my control not the other way around. Going to keep trying what works best until I’ve cracked it but keeping it calmer overnight means I wake less bloated and the days have not been so uncomfortable and it already starts a little later in the day.
I’d still like to know how others are managing this bloating issue though so any thoughts or natural remedies I’d love to hear about

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 08:20:53 PM »

I have bloating issues but not every day/night.  By mid-afternoon black T with 2 sugars tastes different to the breakfast cuppa and is prone to causing bloat.

It's awful, sometimes I can't eat my evening meal and it's 7 hours B4 it goes away, even with having a warm bath  :-\. We haven't yet cracked what causes my problem.

JosieJo55

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 02:45:03 PM »

Yes it’s nothing specific I can put my finger on. Tried eliminating dairy but didn’t make a jot of difference plus don’t have dairy very often now anyway. Think sugar and fat are often a trigger but again very rarely touch these much either. Eat a very low-fat low sugar diet as helping hubbie with his diet by buying and cooking healthy food for both of us. Oddly can eat curry, garlic, onion and spice, no issue. Odd glass of red wine, 90% of the time it’s fine and often helps as it seems to relax the tummy a bit but occasionally not but never sure if it was the wine or something else. It’s much better than it was as it was constant now it’s more on and off thankfully but that could be because, I think, I’m heading into full menopause so maybe the hormonal fluctuations are abating and that’s helping the situation. This all kicked off literally when I experienced the first gap in my cycle 4 years ago. Would love it to either clear off or find a solution to manage it better.
Latest trial is 2 digestive enzymes directly before tea then if the bubbling and bloating still kick off 2 simeticone, they do help but I’m at a loss as to why it keeps happening. Never had tummy issues before peri. Probably best not to try to understand it and just except it.
Probably I’m being selfish as other than this I seem to be fairing quite well on every other score, just very frustrating and uncomfortable