Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Microscopic blood in urine  (Read 15344 times)

LottieB

Microscopic blood in urine
« on: April 07, 2024, 04:54:55 PM »

Hello, I'm new here, I'm a 52 year old and not had a period for 15 months. Following a recent routine urine test my doctor found microscopic blood in my urine on two separate occasions, 4 weeks apart.
I do have alot of vaginal discomfort and find sex almost impossible due to it being so painful. I also have alot of lower abdominal aches and pains.
I've now been referred to an Urologist and face a  cystoscopy and scan in order for bladder or kidney cancer to be ruled out.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had microscopic blood in their urine during the menopause? If it's common and what could be the cause?
I'm obviously scared it could be bladder cancer but also trying to work out if the microscopic blood is menopause related. Thanks so much for any advice.

Joaniepat

Re: Microscopic blood in urine
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 05:05:16 PM »

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.
It is not uncommon to have microscope blood in urine during menopause, nor to have vaginal discomfort and painful sex. These are all symptoms of Genitourinary Symptoms of Menopause (GSM), also known as VA or vaginal atrophy. It is due to lack of oestrogen in the genitourinary tract, for which you need local oestrogen treatment, usually cream or vaginal insert. Has this not been suggested to you by your GP?
There are lots of posts on the forum about this, and others will soon be along to welcome you. It is treatable, and treatments need to be maintained for life.

JP x

LottieB

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 05:12:04 PM »

Hi JP

That's so reassuring to know, thank you so much. I've not been told this by my GP so had no idea. I wasn't sure if it was common during the menopause. I will wait to have my cystoscopy, rule out anything awful then chat to my GP about some help in "that department ". I definitely need something... thank you so much xx

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 05:28:51 PM »

As Joaniepat says,traces of blood are quite common,I have this on and off quite frequently,VA is usually the cause. Good they're checking it though  :)

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 05:33:09 PM »

Have they put you on the 2 week pathway for the scan? I'd still contact GP again and explain the vaginal discomfort and ask if it could be that as it may give you some reassurance. Why did they test your urine in the first place, you said it was routine but was it because of your symptoms? I think atm you are jumping too far ahead with your worrying (easy to do though) given the logical and most likely cause is vaginal atrophy given your discomfort in the vagina and when trying to have sex. Even frequency and urgency of urination can be caused by menopause, lots of women talk about this on here.

LottieB

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 05:50:12 PM »

As Joaniepat says,traces of blood are quite common,I have this on and off quite frequently,VA is usually the cause. Good they're checking it though  :)

Good to know it's quite common and definitely reassuring but I know it's always best to be checked xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 05:54:38 PM »

My 1st question as asked, why was your urine being checked?  Not something my GP/Nurse Practitioner would do unless I complained of frequency. 

Once you have had the check up you will have a base line from which to work.  Your GP should also have discussed vaginal atrophy: do read 'the bladder issues' and any relating to VA.  Caused by the loss of oestrogen the body may become dry: inside and out.  Eyes, deep in the ears, skin, legs, scalp, vagina ......... as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Let us know how you get on.  Ask anything you need to and mayB take a list of concerns to the various appts..

LottieB

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 05:54:54 PM »

Have they put you on the 2 week pathway for the scan? I'd still contact GP again and explain the vaginal discomfort and ask if it could be that as it may give you some reassurance. Why did they test your urine in the first place, you said it was routine but was it because of your symptoms? I think atm you are jumping too far ahead with your worrying (easy to do though) given the logical and most likely cause is vaginal atrophy given your discomfort in the vagina and when trying to have sex. Even frequency and urgency of urination can be caused by menopause, lots of women talk about this on here.

I'm definitely jumping ahead with things, I'm suffering with anxiety (due to the menopause) so that's not helping.
I have private health care through my work so have an appointment on the 18th April to see the urologist.
I was originally having tests (endoscopy and colonoscopy) due to having stomach issues and as a matter of course the doctor decided to do a routine urine test. Thanks for your reply, helped put my mind at rest xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 05:56:19 PM »

Those issues mayB related to perimenopause.  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary might help too.

Northerngirl

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 06:44:45 PM »

Hi LottieB, I went through this recently. Starting in October with the blood in urine..mine was microscopic at first with uti symptoms (no uti found after lab test) then it was very visible blood about a week later. Sent for cytoscopy and ct scan...all clear.
Then December had ultrasound and tvs, found thickened womb lining...heavy bleed soon after that (hadn't had a period for 12 years). Sent for hysteroscopy/biopsy....all clear thankfully.
I was 12 years postmenopausal and on hrt up until that point .

I was never told what caused the blood.

So I would just like to reassure you that these symptoms seem to be very common unfortunately...it all scared me as it took 4 months of scans etc.

LottieB

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 08:50:15 PM »

Hi LottieB, I went through this recently. Starting in October with the blood in urine..mine was microscopic at first with uti symptoms (no uti found after lab test) then it was very visible blood about a week later. Sent for cytoscopy and ct scan...all clear.
Then December had ultrasound and tvs, found thickened womb lining...heavy bleed soon after that (hadn't had a period for 12 years). Sent for hysteroscopy/biopsy....all clear thankfully.
I was 12 years postmenopausal and on hrt up until that point .

I was never told what caused the blood.

So I would just like to reassure you that these symptoms seem to be very common unfortunately...it all scared me as it took 4 months of scans etc.

I'm so sorry to hear you've been through so much and I'm truly glad everything was clear for you. Thanks so much for the advice and reassurance, I think I need to try and stop worrying so much :) xx