Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Stomach - stabbing pain  (Read 18438 times)

CrispyChick

Stomach - stabbing pain
« on: April 07, 2024, 09:10:51 AM »

I'm putting this up here in the hope someone has some advice.

I've made a log of changes over the last year trying to address my hormonal issues and this stomach issue arrived after a few doses of vag utrogestan!

I have had all the tests. Endoscopy, CT, oesophagus throat test, abdominal scan. Nothing found.

It can calm. But most of the time my stomach is giving me a lot of grief.

So, it's like an intense stabbing pain, hollow feeling in my upper abdomen. So in my actual stomach.

It can morph around. Sometimes I have sore inflamed points on my bowel. Extreme bloating. Sometimes I get acid, sometimes burning knawing.

It just changes a lot. But the worst is the constant stabbing hollow feeling in my stomach. Right up to my sternum. Sometimes sore points to press on stomach. Other times not.

Any ideas? Acid reducers make it worse. But it's clearly not acid reflux - as much as it can sometimes turn acidy.

Is it ibs??? Have had IBS since my 20s but it's never affected my actual stomach before. My bowels are moving fine.

And, how to calm it? I've made a lot of changes trying to find hrt to work for me in peri. If I stop everything it will calm, but then I feel absolutely dire. And so the cycle begins again.

Anyone???
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 09:30:25 AM by CrispyChick »

Penguin

Re: Stomach - stabbing pain
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 09:55:22 AM »

Gastritis! Look it up and see if it resonates. Wouldn't show up on a scope unless atrophic.

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 11:21:17 AM »

Would it not show up on a scope???

I had it a few years ago and it did show up on a scope. Also when I had it then it felt quite different and did respond to famotidine.

This latest 'thing' is not always burning or acidy and affects downwards too. Would gastritis affect lower abdomen? And now both famotidine and ppi actually increase the pain.  :o

Any suggestions if it was that???

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 12:47:05 PM »

I would have thought it would show up as inflammation unless it is really mild. I had it for a couple of weeks before ending up in a&e with it where they gave me pantoprazole, a ppi. A month of that (plus a very restricted diet) got rid of the burning, gnawing feeling but it was really bad for my digestion and i weaned off pretty quickly. I had issues down the left side of my colon and some constipation.

If it is that then you need a healing diet, things like porridge,  chicken soup, etc, avoiding coffee, alcohol, anything spicy or acidic or carbonated. You need well cooked, easily digestible food, things like cooked rice, slow cooked chicken, lean fish and veggies like carrot, Broccoli, leeks etc.

I used a supplement called Nutrigold Colex, two on an empty stomach every morning, still take that every day 2 years later. It has l-glutamine in which is great for stomach and intestinal lining. So does zinc carnosine, a form of zinc known for helping the GI tract. Plus another one called DGL Plus by Pure Encapsulations. Both help repair the mucous lining.

Aloe vera juice (a tablespoon) before meals helped. And don't overload your tummy ever.

I also did a split dose of the ppi am and pm as found the pain was worse at night.

Do you find it is slightly better when you've just eaten? But that you feel full very quickly?

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 12:49:38 PM »

You may also benefit from digestive enzymes in the short term too, I have always used the life extension one with ibs but have moved to Wild Nutrition one and it is much gentler. I take on an empty tummy about 5 minutes before a meal when the meal is big, or has neat, or am eating out / different food to usual. I now only take when needed but used to take all the time with the gastritis.

CrispyChick

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 01:39:27 PM »

Thanks penguin.

No, not better after eating. When it's at its worst - which it is just now, it's just stabbing pain in stomach. Right now it's really high up at my sternum. But it moves around. Last night I could press sore points on my actual stomach. When calmer it can just be lower abdomen bloating, sore points to press on colon.

The stomach stabbing is the worst.

I already take zinc l carnosine. I've recently had a gi test done. Absolutely nothing wrong with me. Everything perfectly balanced.

I've had this a year and half now and it is so bizarre as it morphs around. Every time I change hormones it triggers. I even attempted to go up on escitalopram to try and reduce the pain. But after 3 days that triggered it even more.

It's all so horrific.

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 01:46:59 PM »

Thanks penguin.

No, not better after eating. When it's at its worst - which it is just now, it's just stabbing pain in stomach. Right now it's really high up at my sternum. But it moves around. Last night I could press sore points on my actual stomach. When calmer it can just be lower abdomen bloating, sore points to press on colon.

The stomach stabbing is the worst.

I already take zinc l carnosine. I've recently had a gi test done. Absolutely nothing wrong with me. Everything perfectly balanced.

I've had this a year and half now and it is so bizarre as it morphs around. Every time I change hormones it triggers. I even attempted to go up on escitalopram to try and reduce the pain. But after 3 days that triggered it even more.

It's all so horrific.

H-pylori breath test (might have asked you this already, if so then sorry)?
SIBO?

Could the stabbing pain be gas or doesn't it feel like that?

CrispyChick

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 01:50:20 PM »

Had both. 😞

Doesn't feel like gas. But could be. Can u get gas high up in stomach????

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 01:52:58 PM »

I actually prefer when it goes acidy. At least that feels normal.  :(

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 01:54:28 PM »

Yes absolutely. That can come with acid reflux. Either try and burp, drink some warm water or have a rennie deflatine. Usually gas trapped in upper stomach comes out with a burp

Could you be swallowing lots of air? I find talking when eating I swallow air. Also when drinking water I've been told I gulp the water which means I swallow air too.

You could also have a tight diaphragm which compresses the stomach. Look up yoga moves or stretches for that.

If it is burning pain though, it is more likely to be inflammation of irritation though.

CrispyChick

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 01:59:07 PM »

Thanks.

It's not burning just now. Just dire and very tight feeling. I'll look up the diaphragm. Not thought of that.

I've just tried Rennies. No diff.

It is constant. Like 24 hours.

I've just lain down and the sore bits feel pulled to the side with me lying on my side.

It's bad enough trying to deal with my hormones, without this on top. 😭

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 01:59:54 PM »

Perhaps it is as simple as ibs then, as I've been reading that that can cause both reflux and gas.

Hormones have a lot to answer for. Both E and P can cause a relaxation of the esophageal sphincter which can cause reflux and indigestion. So can taking hrt.

Something suggested to me too for the left side abdo pain when other things had been excluded was visceral hypersensitivity, where the discomfort you feel is excess to the cause, if that makes sense. So you may be very intolerant to any stretching or movement of food through the stomach / intestines. Have a look at that. They recommend things like amitriptyline to desensitise but that wasn't something I pursued.

CrispyChick

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 03:03:03 PM »

I think you're right penguin. We've had this conversation before about visceral hypersensitivity. Not even sure if it was in relation to my stomach, or not.

I'm too scared to change antidepressants. That's the prob. And when I tried to increase escit twice last month - both times it triggered more extreme stomach pain.

I'm not sure I'm strong enough. 😞