Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: 'Patients Know Best' NHS patient platform  (Read 17080 times)

VioletAquarius

'Patients Know Best' NHS patient platform
« on: April 06, 2024, 11:44:47 PM »

Is anyone using this?  What exactly is it? Is it an app?

If I signed up to it would I no longer receive texts and letters about appointments, etc?

Is it just for hospital appointments? Or is it for gp things as well, like gp appointments, repeat prescriptions, etc?

Basically, what exactly is it?, what's it used for?, and how does it all work?

Thanks

Booroo

Re: 'Patients Know Best' NHS patient platform
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 06:38:36 AM »

It’s for blood results etc

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 07:35:57 AM »

https://patientsknowbest.com/about/ This if from the website for those who want to know.  :)

Northerngirl

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 07:40:13 AM »

Mine was for hospital appointments.
Certain letters still come through the post.
They told me that any results ie biopsy/scan etc would always  be sent by post still.
Only used mine for hospital....GP surgery is a different one. So not sure about that.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 07:42:41 AM »

It's a bit confusing as I seem to be able to do this on the NHS app and also most of it through my doctor's surgery log in.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 10:16:19 PM »

Thanks everyone,  and thanks for the link Taz2, I will have a look at that.

Hollyboll

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 06:38:21 PM »

I've been using it for a few years - think my 'Trust' was one of the pilots.

It's separate from GP system - the different silos drive me mad.  It's a website (login) - I don't think there's an app. 

I've had several scans / biopsies since I've been on this, and never had the results through it. 

When something is added to it you get an automatic email (might have had to choose this at the start) so you know when to sign in / something's there to check.

On it I do get:
- hospital appointments eg consults or scans or procedures - although I also get letters (when the post works) for at least most of them, again I might have had to opt onto this somewhere as they are constantly pushing for online.  I should probably stop letters for these - I've literally seen appointments come through on PKB at the same time as I'm talking to someone who's making them.  I don't think I get texts but if I was offered that at any stage I'd have opted out so not sure.
- blood test results, done at hospital phleb - whether ordered by consultant or GP.  This is what I find great about it.  Means I don't have to wait for my GP to see results and get around to contacting me about them - I see them straight away (I think it's loaded onto patientsknowbest at the same time as it's loaded for GP onto their system).  I've never seen blood results from GP's system directly, but maybe that's my GP or their system - there are so many silos and different systems even within one area let alone nationally, it's ridiculous. (I don't get blood test appointments on PKB, as obvs that's a different booking site!).
- A hospital physio I saw used to send me exercises etc on it afterwards.

It's not perfect.  It's a bit glitchy (a few weeks ago it suddenly changed its display order to show results from 3 years ago first, obscuring ones from that week, although in fairness they responded quickly when I logged it and said they were aware and were working on a fix, which has since happened).  There are some ludicrous glitches (eg when I've had testosterone tested and it's been high it'll load on there as 'pending confirmation' and never update that but instead eventually get around eventually to telling my GP it was too high (in the lab's head, ignoring as it does testosterone supp), as if my GP actually knows anything about testosterone which they don't  ;D).  I'm also unclear what my GP has access to eg if I get a scan ordered or a blood result through from a consultant whether my GP sees it. 

But for me - totally useless GP and with a lot of blood tests, scans and followups from consultant - it's really good as it cuts out the middle delay at GP surgery.

Hope that helps and makes sense xx
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 09:05:42 PM by Hollyboll »

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 11:19:23 PM »

Thanks Hollyboll,  that's really informative and helpful.

kathryn22

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 01:53:18 PM »

I find some parts of the site useful but it’s a bit baffling what’s supposed to be in there I wonder if it’s connected to your practice and how proactively they update it
There is a forum as well but I found it was full of old posts and seemed almost dormant Suppose it’s another good idea that cost the NHS a fortune but never really worked in practice

getting_old

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 06:34:19 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks the name is rather appropriate in times where we have to diagnose and treat ourselves as access to doctors is so woeful?  :(

Hollyboll

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 06:38:55 PM »

And YET they so often don't listen to us!
I don't know why but I always want to refer to it as 'Patients R Us'
 ;D