Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Should I have been on continuous HRT?  (Read 4079 times)

Cleves75

• First Flush
Should I have been on continuous HRT?
« on: April 04, 2024, 11:02:52 AM »

Hi everyone. New here, but have found reading forums and advice so helpful.

I started continuous HRT July 2023. I was 47. Had (still am) been taking progesterone only pill for years and no periods.

GP did blood test, FSH level was raised and she said I was “in” menopause and since I hadn’t had period for years could go on continuous HRT. I did say that lack of periods could have been due to contraception, but she just said I could keep taking progesterone only pill while on HRT.

HRT ok to start with (patches, plus 100mg utrogestan nightly), but then got stomach cramps on occasion and some spotting. Changed to gel - as found patches irritated skin - and felt worse than pre-HRT. Stomach cramps, not sleeping, really low mood.

Decided to stop. Cold turkey. Felt immediately relieved and in myself much better. That was 4 days ago. Since, have had minor stomach cramps and light bleeding (no towel/tampon needed).

I’m monitoring the light bleeding - will see GP if nothings changed after two weeks or so - but am not at all keen on starting HRT again!

Keen to hear similar experiences. And I don’t think I should have been on continuous HRT?

…I should also say I was moved from Utrogestan to Gepretix. Don’t think it was a positive move!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 11:10:51 AM by Cleves75 »

sheila99

Re: Should I have been on continuous HRT?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 01:28:23 PM »

It's an option to take 2xPOP for the progestin part of hrt. As you know you get on with it this may be a better solution than utro? It's usually the progestin part of it that causes problems. POP and utro might have been too much progestin. A combined bcp can be successful in early peri too assuming you still need contraception. Or a mirena alongside oestrogen. A mirena is often the best solution for problem bleeding. You could try just one pump of gel, no utro to see if you're OK on it. It's OK for a trial but obviously not long term. If you find utro is the problem you can look at alternatives. Gel doesn't cause problems for many people as long as the dose us right but if it does you can try a different patch or spray. I'm allergic to evorel bur fine with estradot. At 47 it's possible but unlikely you're meno but using a bcp and adding hrt does seem to cause problems. How much gel were you on? Unfortunately there's often some trial and error before you find what's right for you.

Cleves75

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 03:13:53 PM »

Thanks for replying sheila99  :)

I had no idea re. two pop for the prog side of HRT! Wonder if that would work for me, I might chat through with GP.

Was on two pumps of gel each morning.

From reading - here and elsewhere - I can see patience and trial and error are going to be needed!

Thanks again.

Lin

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 07:30:25 AM »

Go with your gut instinct. I would personally see a different G.P