Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UTI advice please ….  (Read 17371 times)

Kate57

UTI advice please ….
« on: March 16, 2024, 03:17:30 PM »

Hello ladies,
I think I may have the beginnings of a UTI developing. I have just looked in my medicine box and found an unopened packet of D Manose.
But….. the expiry date was 2021.
The packet is sealed …. would it be ok to take a chance and use it?
I’m drinking water with a squeeze of lemon in at the moment ( I’ve also taken ibrufen).
Any advice please ?
Regards
Kate

Kate57

Re: UTI advice please ….
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 03:49:29 PM »

Hello jaypo, thank you for your post…. I have taken some!
It says to take every 3 - 4 hours so I will get maybe another two doses in before bed.
Fingers crossed it works …. I really dread/fear going to the GP for antibiotics.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 04:14:55 PM »

It is a urinary tract infection or vaginal atrophy? 

Kate57

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 04:48:04 PM »

Hi CKLD :) hope you are keeping well.

I do have VA and I did wonder if it was that playing up at first - I remember how you always say that “VA mimics a UTI  really well”.
But I began to get the shakes earlier and just felt a bit ‘off’ so did think it might be a uti. I’ve taken this D Manose now and will take some more before bed ….fingers crossed !
If no luck I will go back on the old VA routine.😵‍💫

xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 04:58:23 PM »

Have U stopped VA treatment  :-\

I get the shivers when VA begins to niggle after doing a pee as well as a nip as the urine flow shuts off  :o.  Hopefully your treatment will ease symptoms!  Covering all eventualities and possibilities over a weekend is the way to go.  Let us know how you get on!

VioletAquarius

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 11:24:43 PM »

I'm not sure If the d-mannose will be okay to take, it may be that they just won't be as effective.

I take d mannoae everyday and I've still managed to get 2 utis. When I did get them I upped my dose to 3 a day, and even though the symptoms greatly improved it never got rid of it and I ended up on antibiotics.

Northerngirl

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 05:22:53 PM »

You can buy urine strips and test your urine at home,IF it IS an infection,you're best to take ABs as it could get worse
Hi Jaypo, where do you buy the urine strips from and what exactly are they called (do they have a brand name)?
Think it could be a  handy thing to have these days.
Thanks

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 06:20:16 PM »

Kate57 - how have u been today?

Kate57

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 06:58:15 PM »

Hello CLKD,
I am feeling quite poorly. I had to go to the 'emergency walk in clinic" yesterday. I was given antibiotics for a UTI infection. I have blood in my urine. I know I was foolish not to attend to this problem straight away, but my hesitation was caused by my genuine fear of taking antibiotics and their awful side effects. At the moment I am waiting to take another dose ( one ab every twelve hours). This will be my third tablet. I am just hoping ( praying) that it just clears up soon and I don't have to go through months of pain and different medications ( and the reactions) that I had the last time.
Thank you for posting and for all your advice.
xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 07:59:42 PM »

Is that a 3 day course?  U may require 5-7 days - any side effects yet? 

Kate57

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 09:14:43 PM »

I was given 7 days but told to finish course after 3 days if the UTI has cleared up by Wednesday evening.
I have had some sickly feelings / lightheadedness, and ringing in ears….but at this moment that seems to have subsided.
Feeling a tiny bit better than I did a couple of hours ago.
🤞xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 09:40:14 AM »

I would if possible take the whole 7 days.  3 may not be enough .......... sometimes the bug pops up if it isn't knocked on the head  >:(  ::)

Also take pain relief.

Kate57

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 10:46:20 AM »

Thank you ladies… I think I will take the 7 days…. up to now there is just a little light headedness caused by the ABs….but I can still tell that the UTI is there. Will it be ok to take a paracetamol? I normally take Neurofen but the woman on the 111 line said not to take them with a UTI.
xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 12:38:46 PM »

Paracetamol is fine.  I use 'nurofen' without thinking about it as it works for me .......... let u know how you get on.

Kate57

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2024, 01:57:38 PM »

Hello again….
on day 4 of taking the antibiotics but still feel the UTI ache in lower abdo. Was told by GP to take in a urine sample this morning but I don’t expect to hear anything back from that until next week. I will be using some Estriol Cream this evening ( just received another prescription as I’d run out a while ago and because I felt ok I hadn’t renewed it… I know 🙄 )…
I’m wondering now if this is the VA again and not UTI or if the UTI has cleared up and it’s kicked off the VA again.

Note: just received a message from GP that this morning’s urine sample was clear !
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 03:27:24 PM by Kate57 »
Pages: [1] 2