Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Dry mouth and burning mouth syndrome  (Read 2545 times)

Gilly23

• First Flush
Dry mouth and burning mouth syndrome
« on: March 16, 2024, 07:51:48 AM »

Hi everyone. I am visiting a gynaecologist this morning to discuss going on HRT. I have vagina atrophy and have been struggling with this for ten years. So far been treated locally by vagifem or ovestin. I am always having flare ups and uti symptoms so looking for more help. An additional issue I have had for the past four years is dry mouth and burning mouth. Got no where with dentists and just have to endure. Please could anyone comment if they think this is another lack of oestrogen symptom and would HRT help. It’s a miserable condition and on days when my vagina and mouth is sore I can feel quite desperate.
Many thanks for any replies.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dry mouth and burning mouth syndrome
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 09:20:33 AM »

How often are U using the vaginal atrophy treatment, some ladies require application every night.  I use 'ovestin' internally with a smear around the labia region, others use 'sylc' or 'yes' products.  1 cannot over dose on VA treatments ;-).  I know that some insert 'vagifem' as well as using 'ovestin' externally.

Occasionally other forms of HRT can help atrophy though localised treat3emtns directly into the vagina have been a saviour for me! 

Have U seen the gynae previously about this issue, is he/she au fait with peri-menopause?   Let us know how you get on. 

Burning mouth syndrome: if there is sodium laurel sulphate in your paste it may cause burning, 4 me it's bananas, chocolate or tea that is instant. 

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry, inside and out.

Armadillo

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 09:31:03 AM »

I have burning mouth syndrome... its awful isnt it.

I didnt know it was linked to Menopause but that makes sense .. trying to remember when it started for me.

Northerngirl

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 11:50:40 AM »

I don't suffer with the mouth symptoms but I know it's a symptom of menopause,  they were even discussing it recently on This Morning with a dentist.  She said she had not been taught anything about it's link to menopause during her years of training but it is common . So you're definitely not alone x

fiftyplus

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 12:11:20 PM »

Interesting ... I wake up with a dry mouth some mornings (possibly another lovely symptom of menopause - mother nature is so kind to us all, eh, NOT!)  I also have horrible VA - I feel your pain xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 12:29:15 PM »

Northerngirl - ??  send an e-mail about MM to the Dentist c/o the Programme  ??

MrsMitch

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 01:00:56 PM »

In case this helps, my husband had burning mouth syndrome for years and finally we got to the cause of it, not the GP or dentist.  It turned out to be oral thrush. It was never enough to be visible over the years until one day the back of his tongue was white.  He does wear a plate so I think it's linked to that.
I wonder if it's worth you either trying the over the counter Dactarin or a script from the GP.  It really isn't always visible apparently.  He also found using diluted apple cider vinegar (the one with the mother!) throughout the day also helped.
Of course I realise yours may be hormone related but just thought I'd throw this in, in case it helps you.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 10:43:41 PM »

My mum has burning mouth, hers was caused, she believes, by nerve damage, caused by the dentist, as she was fine until after he did treatment on her.

Gilly23

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 11:12:01 AM »

Thank you all. It’s a complex subject and I bet as you say loads of people have it and like me put up with it. I recently got some dry mouth tablets from Amazon. You stick them to the upper gum and they dissolve slowly. They have helped a lot.
I saw the gynaecologist and she has put me on the gel pump, 2 a day and progesterone tablet at night 100mg. I am going to do ovestin every other day as well.
I am nervous about this, it feels experimental but nothing ventured nothing gained. I am doing a daily journal of my symptoms and seeing her in 6 weeks to review.
I will post if my mouth and VA. Improves.  This site is really good for us ladies to compile information and what works.
Thank you to the lady re the thrush suggestion, I will look into that as welll. The tablets from Amazon are called xylimelts if anyone wants to try them  x

Jan1234

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 11:18:15 AM »

I had terrible dry mouth when I first started the menapause not burning though, I used to use a gel I bought from chemist and rub in mouth that helped but when I started hrt it stopped and have not had it since

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 11:46:06 AM »

Morning Gilly23 - U may require 'ovestin' every night for a while to plump up the vaginal walls .  It can be Trial and Error until we find a way of managing VA symptoms  ::)

Hollyboll

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 07:26:15 PM »

Sorry to hear you have had miserable time and glad you're trying HRT.  Just to add to the others dry mouth is very definitely a peri/mno symptom - for some it's dry eyes or even ear canals.  Hope new regime helps xx