Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: 24 hour blood pressure monitor  (Read 2359 times)

Blot

24 hour blood pressure monitor
« on: February 27, 2024, 06:23:23 AM »

Had and appointment yesterday with my cardiologist and he is arranging a 24 hour blood pressure monitor because my blood pressure was high.
I do have white coat syndrome and get very nervous at all medical appointments to be fair. It’s so embarrassing, I go bright red and sweat etc.
I’m not looking forward to this as it’s going to keep me up all night doing readings every hour and I worry it will give false readings as well as I will be stressing about having the thing on in the first place. 
Has anyone done this and is it going to be as awful as I imagine?

star35

Re: 24 hour blood pressure monitor
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 07:33:44 AM »

Hi Blot both me and my husband have both had to do this,  and no we didn't find it awful at all . I slept all night with mine on as it automatically does the readings, only thing I found difficult was getting to sleep as I was aware of it on my arm so was trying not to lay on it . Hope it goes well for you.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 01:15:03 PM »

I'm the same as star35 Blot. I didn't find it a bother at all. It won't give false readings. It will give an accurate picture of what is going on with your body. Let us know how it goes.

Taz x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 01:22:09 PM »

I had one about 20 years ago when my children were babies. I keep asking if I can have another to get my true readings as I have developed white coat syndrome with my home monitor ::)

I was vaguely aware of it in the night but it didn't bother me and I easily fell back to sleep. The worst thing was the cuff left me with an itchy rash but my skin gets easily irritated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 03:06:08 PM »

Why do U have to take readings that often it's what the machine is for.  It should record as it goes along if it doesn't send readings directly to the Hospital.

MinL was advised to keep to her usual routine.  NOPE.  She went to stay with her oldest son where she was waited on, hand and food.  So her readings weren't compatable and a complete waste of NHS monies.  I wasn't short in telling her either.   >:(

Blot

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 06:56:27 PM »

Thank you. The doc did originally ask me to take readings at home but I thought we didn’t have a monitor. However we did find a wrist monitor and apparently our gp practice will lend you one.
So I’ve emailed the secretary and she’s asking the consultant for me.
I took a reading with the wrist one and it was much lower than at the hospital.
I just think I will be anticipating the thing firing up and that will stress me out.
CLKD I won’t be taking the readings myself, the monitor will do it, but it’s every 30 mins during the day and every hour during the night so inflating and making a noise.

I’m so embarrassed about this “white coat syndrome”. I work in a hospital for goodness sake but I just get so wound up.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 07:13:41 PM by Blot »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 07:27:25 PM »

Stop worrying!  U are amongst 1,000s who have WCS.  Including my DH who is the calmest person you will meet anywhere in the World.

R U involved with Face2Face or in the back rooms of the Hospital?  helping others is totally different to dealing with our own worries, DH would shout "Why don't you take your own advice" when I was counselling over the 'phone  ::)

Blot

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 07:47:03 PM »

Thank you CLKD. I do feel such a fool though.
I work outpatient receptions so I am face to face but not in a clinical manner. And I wish I could take my own advice too 😁

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 08:02:56 PM »

Who else would know though?  I've long stopped telling anyone about the ins and outs of my Life. And in your situation, people will be more worried about themselves ;-).

We have a BP machine at home.  I never register on it, I'm dead. Apparently  ;D

Blot

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 08:12:04 AM »

Lol CLKD  ;D

I think my dad was the same as me but he got over this by just not going to the doctor at all, until he had a heart attack and couldn’t avoid it any more. Even then he denied anything was happening!
But honestly, a grown woman going bright red and getting flustered in any medical appointment? I feel so silly.